6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L Rough Idle, Sputtering Badly

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 12:41 AM
PowerStroking89
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.4L Rough Idle, Sputtering Badly

Hey guys I've done a ton a searching on this but I havent come up with a solid answer yet, maybe someone here can help me. For past week or so I've been experience an extremely rough idle in my truck. Once its been run for a few miles and everything comes up to temp and I come to a stop light the problem starts. It'll get a real rough idle and the engine sounds completely different. Once I start driving again I get up to about 5lbs of boost, the truck starts sputtering/missing (for lack of a better term) and won't accelerate or want to get above the 5lbs. I can barely get into the throttle without the truck shaking and missing/sputtering. The engine light isn't on, I've run a scanner and there aren't any codes flashing. The problem is also random, one day it runs fine, the next the problem returns. Without any codes or consistency with the problem I'm not sure where to begin. I did change out the fuel filters ahead of schedule and drained the water separator but the problem is still there. Any ideas?

Old 07-28-2012, 12:55 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats crazy that you don't have any codes.

Old 07-28-2012, 12:57 AM
PowerStroking89
New User
Not a one, the scan can up clean and the "message center" in the truck hasn't said anything either. According to all the electronics the truck is apparently running great....

Old 07-28-2012, 06:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,406 Likes on 1,002 Posts
What type of scanner? When is the last time you changed your fuel filters?

I am thinking this is EGR related or fuel/fuel filter related?

Old 07-28-2012, 11:30 AM
PowerStroking89
New User
Just changed the fuel filters a week ago and primed the system has to Fords instructions. I can't remember the brand of the scanner, I borrowed it from work, it was your typical OBD diagnostic scanner. I can get the brand name later today.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:54 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Subscribing

Old 08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
RVdragger
New User
Same issue here, no answers from Ford

I'm having a similar issue with my 09 F250. Randomly when I stomp on the gas, the turbo goes to 1.2 lbs and stays put. The engine sputters, bucks and does not accelerate. I have also notices the cruise control does not work when the truck acts up. The first time it happened I was trying to merge on the highway and had to pull over to keep from being hit. I turned the truck off and on again and the problem was gone. Took it to the dealer, no codes, no errors, no indication anything had happened. It has done the same thing 10 times since then and no improvement. The dealer can't find anything wrong with it. Ford corporate basically dared me to try to take action with them. Lemon law won't work because you need a diagnosis that can't be repaired (in NH) so until I have a diagnosis, I'm the guy that brings my truck in every month with no problems.

Since I can't force it to repeat, I'm going to try writing letters to Ford explaining that I have a safety issue and see what they say.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by RVdragger
I'm having a similar issue with my 09 F250. Randomly when I stomp on the gas, the turbo goes to 1.2 lbs and stays put. The engine sputters, bucks and does not accelerate. I have also notices the cruise control does not work when the truck acts up. The first time it happened I was trying to merge on the highway and had to pull over to keep from being hit. I turned the truck off and on again and the problem was gone. Took it to the dealer, no codes, no errors, no indication anything had happened. It has done the same thing 10 times since then and no improvement. The dealer can't find anything wrong with it. Ford corporate basically dared me to try to take action with them. Lemon law won't work because you need a diagnosis that can't be repaired (in NH) so until I have a diagnosis, I'm the guy that brings my truck in every month with no problems.

Since I can't force it to repeat, I'm going to try writing letters to Ford explaining that I have a safety issue and see what they say.
Is your maintance up to date?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:14 PM
PowerStroking89
New User
Well I found the cause of the problem...EGR gave out. Dealer says 2 cylinders a low on compression, coolant is pouring into the cylinders and there is evidence of hydrolocking. I'm told the truck needs a new engine that unsurprisingly my warranty is not covering. Figured I wouldn't leave this thread hanging and update it for anyone running a search with similar symptoms.

Old 09-05-2012, 05:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by PowerStroking89
Well I found the cause of the problem...EGR gave out. Dealer says 2 cylinders a low on compression, coolant is pouring into the cylinders and there is evidence of hydrolocking. I'm told the truck needs a new engine that unsurprisingly my warranty is not covering. Figured I wouldn't leave this thread hanging and update it for anyone running a search with similar symptoms.
As I suspected. Are you over the 5 years/100K mark on warranty?

Old 09-11-2012, 10:51 PM
hockman2
Freshman User
This is exactly what happened to my truck...only 50k, so it was still under warranty and at this time still in the shop...#2 & #8. It has been a month, still trying to get it right

Old 09-17-2012, 07:42 PM
WMDPSD
Senior User
how often does this happen, tomorrow I am trading my 7.3 for a 2009 w/ 99xxx on the clock?

Old 09-17-2012, 07:45 PM
senix
Super Moderator
EGR cooler issues are actually rather rare on the 6.4.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:56 PM
WMDPSD
Senior User
well that is good news, hate to get rid of the old 7.3 but all good things must come to a end.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:39 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I have had a 7.3, a 6.0 and i wouldn't look back from my 6.4.......tune it and drive it!

Quick Reply: 6.4L Rough Idle, Sputtering Badly