6.4L Rough Idle, Sputtering Badly - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

6.4L Rough Idle, Sputtering Badly

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

6.4L Rough Idle, Sputtering Badly

Old 09-18-2012, 05:32 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.ChargersFanInCO has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by senix View Post
EGR cooler issues are actually rather rare on the 6.4.
But when they happen, there's no code...(I still read this forum...lol)

Old 11-18-2013, 01:48 PM
RounderClyde
New User
RounderClyde is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am also having the sputter at very low rpms and when i barely touch the pedal. No codes, all tests are good, from 3 different OBD and diagnostic scanners. No codes, or anything. I have checked for vacum leaks, hoses, rips, tears, water separator, etc... The MAF sensor dosent change the way the motor runs when I knock on it and dont see anything out of ordinary. I first noticed this after I changed / showered in my fuel filters. I noticed it more once I knew it was occurring. So I deleted my egr coolers and blocked it off up/down. I am yanking the rest out tomorrow and adding the elbow charge pipe and intercooler pipe. Im hoping something will give. I have all the deletes, stage 2 intake, custom tunes and canned tunes, SCT Livewire, the original tuner of all of this madness and 5" straight from turbo back. Not sure why this is happening, like most of the others. Everyone has a different answer too. So I dont want to know, until its fixed or it goes away.... I suspected timing, cause of my tuning, but some have it bone stock. I can raise my idle and shift points, but then I gotta relearn the trans and all that. I just want to know whats up..... HAS ANYONE FIXED THEIR SPUTTER ISSUE AT LOW RPMS- WHEN THEY START UP A SMALL OR BIG INCLINE ? THEN ONCE AND AWHILE ITS IN IDLE- RPMS JUST BARELY MOVE- ENOUGH TO THINK ITS RUNNING OUT OF FUEL- I am severley frustrated. I spent 30 hrs doing my own EGR cooler removal and block off, and still a little sputter when I am just driving around. I have no idea any more. THREE GUYS CHANGED THEIR OIL AND THERES WENT AWAY !!! I have nearly 600hp and gobs of torque and dont use it lately cause I dont want any problems. If I dont find out soon, I am getting some new tunes from ####### and have some more fuel added and raise the idle. And FYI, if your blowing black smoke, your wasting fuel and money and your rig isnt tuned right and prob clogged everywhere, If its white or gray, your about to spend some money, So go delete your EGR and coolers and save your motor and pocket book. Try it yourself if you can stand some bruised black and blue arms, chest and stomach and massive amounts of oil, grease, fluid and blood. Cut your finger nails first..... Ask a skinny friend with long arms to be your helper. You cant do it alone, if you do it on the ground. I spent the first 17 hrs alone. Sometimes it takes 2-3 hrs to get 2-3 bolts off, unless you have done it before...... Just some friendly advice !!! Please follow up if you figure out the little sputter. I dont blow any smoke and it will eat these bumble bee things on the road and a mustang is breakfast. So like ol boy says TUNE IT AND DRIVE IT !!! Oh, 23-24 mpg is good too.....

Old 08-27-2015, 01:31 AM
Siprian96
New User
Siprian96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.4 rough idle

INJECTOR PUMP!!
This causes the loss of power and no boost gain. Just had mine replaced cost $2400

Last edited by Siprian96; 08-27-2015 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Didn't have right message
Old 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM
Rooster2839
New User
Rooster2839 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by RVdragger View Post
I'm having a similar issue with my 09 F250. Randomly when I stomp on the gas, the turbo goes to 1.2 lbs and stays put. The engine sputters, bucks and does not accelerate. I have also notices the cruise control does not work when the truck acts up. The first time it happened I was trying to merge on the highway and had to pull over to keep from being hit. I turned the truck off and on again and the problem was gone. Took it to the dealer, no codes, no errors, no indication anything had happened. It has done the same thing 10 times since then and no improvement. The dealer can't find anything wrong with it. Ford corporate basically dared me to try to take action with them. Lemon law won't work because you need a diagnosis that can't be repaired (in NH) so until I have a diagnosis, I'm the guy that brings my truck in every month with no problems.

Since I can't force it to repeat, I'm going to try writing letters to Ford explaining that I have a safety issue and see what they say.
My '10 was doing the same thing. It turned out to be some software update and the low lift fuel pump was losing pressure. Ford repaired the issue at $684.00. Been fine up to now.