Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Leak (Fuel Everywhere), 450 Miles From Home

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 10:33 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Fuel Leak (Fuel Everywhere), 450 Miles From Home

Hey everybody, this forum has been a big help for me over the years, now I think I need it more than ever.

Pushed the truck a little harder than normal, 75 mph sustained for 450 miles, basically. I usually drive 65. At the end of the trip, we started smelling diesel every time we came to a stop.

On inspection, fuel everywhere on the passenger side; inside passenger wheelwell, dripping off of the frame on the front passenger side, a little on the right side of the radiator bottle, and soaking the hood liner on the passenger side only. I had my GF rev it to 2500 rpm while I looked around, didn't see any spray or leaks.

The truck runs fine, no loss of power, and fuel consumption doesn't seem abnormal. I have a sense that it's not a HUGE leak and that I could drive it home. But, if it's a simple fix that I could do here, that'd be great. I wondered about the drain pipe from the little petcock valve behind the fuel filter, but the end of the tube and the areas aft of it are dry.

I will be at our semi-remote destination for a few days, but there is a good-sized town nearby that I'm sure has some auto parts stores and maybe even a dealer. If it is an o-ring or something that I can change out here, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:37 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Inspect the fuel line going from the fuel bowl to the rear of the passenger's head in the valley, they are prone to rubbing through and leaking pretty badly. Here's some pics in Ken's post for reference of location https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post11663563

Also make sure your coolant in the degas bottle doesn't smell like diesel, as the area you described is where the overflow vents to.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:02 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I would also say the fuel line in the valley. I've had just about every fuel leak possible.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:04 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Also make sure that the o-rings for the fuel bowl drain haven't given out. that will leak into the valley and if driving alot.,...the air flow through the engine bay could blow it everywhere. That is about a 30 minute fix.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 AM
Mark250
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I fell victim to the fuel bowl drain o-rings after changing a filter. Diesel everywhere when I got to work. Hope it's that simple for you.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:58 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you already ruled out fuel in the coolant tank? I've seen it overfill and run everywhere (passenger side).

Old 07-27-2012, 08:28 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions and information. I'm about to go outside and have a good look at it.

I would like to think it is something as simple as the fuel bowl o-rings. I'm not optimistic about that though, because the area of the underhood liner that is fuel-soaked is fairly specific; over the rear of the passenger-side head.

Fingers crossed that it is the flare fitting bushing, and not a split in the line at the bracket. However, it seems like the fuel that is escaping is being pitched forward and getting on the passenger battery and the side of the degas bottle, and then running down to the frame in the front at getting up in the wheel well. From the pictures in the other thread, this seems like the direction it would be heading if the line split. Yikes.

I'm wondering, if it is the flare fitting bushing, can I drive it home? The truck is still running fine, and it doesn't appear that I am losing a ton of fuel. How much pressure is the fuel under at this point?

If the line is split I guess I'm going to have to deal with it here.

I'm not in the best position to fix this right now; marginal location, not a lot of tools. There is a dealer about 40 miles away, but I've got to make a decision quickly if I want to use them or get parts from them, as I don't expect that their service department is open weekends.

Man, FTE is a great resource. Thanks so much to all of you for responding. I'll report back after I have a better look.

Old 07-27-2012, 08:32 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by KelVarnson
Thanks everyone for all of the great suggestions and information. I'm about to go outside and have a good look at it.

I would like to think it is something as simple as the fuel bowl o-rings. I'm not optimistic about that though, because the area of the underhood liner that is fuel-soaked is fairly specific; over the rear of the passenger-side head.

Fingers crossed that it is the flare fitting bushing, and not a split in the line at the bracket. However, it seems like the fuel that is escaping is being pitched forward and getting on the passenger battery and the side of the degas bottle, and then running down to the frame in the front at getting up in the wheel well. From the pictures in the other thread, this seems like the direction it would be heading if the line split. Yikes.

I'm wondering, if it is the flare fitting bushing, can I drive it home? The truck is still running fine, and it doesn't appear that I am losing a ton of fuel. How much pressure is the fuel under at this point?

If the line is split I guess I'm going to have to deal with it here.

I'm not in the best position to fix this right now; marginal location, not a lot of tools. There is a dealer about 40 miles away, but I've got to make a decision quickly if I want to use them or get parts from them, as I don't expect that their service department is open weekends.

Man, FTE is a great resource. Thanks so much to all of you for responding. I'll report back after I have a better look.
If you are still in the Ft Collins location, I may be able to help with some tools. Depends tho on when and what you need. Let me know. I am about an hour or so south of you.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Billy Bob, thanks for the offer, that's great of you. I am in the Redding California area, though.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:16 AM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

AHHH OK I saw earlier you were talking of being in Ft Collins. Wasn't sure if you were still there. Hmmm Redding...Yeah... that might take me awhile to get there.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:18 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

It looks like grec-o-face wins the prize. Fuel in the coolant tank. Pretty nasty sludge at the top, too. UGH!

What does this mean? Leakage around one or more of the injectors? I have a very bad feeling about this.

In retrospect, when I gave the truck a once-over prior to the trip, I noticed the coolant level was high, but it was a really hot day so I didn't think too much of it.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:19 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
I would agree with the fuel line to the passenger head, I had this happen also. Its not too bad of a fix.

Last edited by GonzoCSU; 07-27-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: uhh, fixing
Old 07-27-2012, 09:23 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
It looks like grec-o-face wins the prize. Fuel in the coolant tank. Pretty nasty sludge at the top, too. UGH!

What does this mean? Leakage around one or more of the injectors? I have a very bad feeling about this.
Fuel in the coolant is the tell tale sign of cracked injector cups

Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Thanks Gonzo, and I appreciate the offer of help. I'm going to search the site for more info on this.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM
Hawk180
Senior User

In retrospect, when I gave the truck a once-over prior to the trip, I noticed the coolant level was high, but it was a really hot day so I didn't think too much of it.
Fuel in the coolant usually means a cracked injector cup. Not something to fix at a campground. It could be either bank. Unless you can get access to tools, you will probably have to have a shop fix it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak (Fuel Everywhere), 450 Miles From Home