1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Fuel Leak (Fuel Everywhere), 450 Miles From Home

Old 07-27-2012, 09:57 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Searching related threads, it seems pretty clear that it must be an injector cup. So here's my dilemma now: I'm not scared of doing this job AT HOME, where I have all of my tools and my layover creeper, but home is 450 miles away!

Do I dare drive the truck home in this condition? I've read that it's pretty easy to siphon the fuel off of the top of the coolant, would I do this, or just let it keep puking out?

In the mean time I will call the local dealer here to get a time and cost estimate on having them change the injector cups, assuming it is that. Also, if it is only one injector cup, do they have a way of finding out WHICH one?

Thanks again for all of your support, guys.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

...the service manager at the local dealer in Redding sounded very knowledgeable about this problem, told me all of the steps needed to fix it, and strongly discouraged me from trying to drive the truck home. He said the repairs would top out at $2500 maximum, but probably less, and would take a couple to three days.

I got an estimate to have the truck hauled to my house, $750. Plus I'd have to rent a car to drive home. Any idea how much the injector cup replacement would cost if I do it myself?

What would you all do?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cups are cheap...

look here.

Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Injector Cups

you can also rent the tool from riffraff if you plan to do it yourself.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Yep Clay has cups

Old 07-27-2012, 10:51 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Yes, cups are cheap, and the idea of having a dealer do major surgery and then just hopping in and driving 450 miles gives me chills.

$750 to get the car home, $100 for cups, plus flushing and coolant and all that, plus I'd have all my tools and layover creeper, and I need to fix a leak on the HPOP anyway.

Also, a rental car to get us home, but that still comes in pretty far under the $2500 from the dealer.

But, the dealer was saying I may need to replace hoses and possibly the water pump, so it could start adding up. The coolant bottle cap gasket is already swollen and deformed.

Kinda freaking out here. Gotta make a decision soon!

Old 07-27-2012, 11:22 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Its never fun breaking down far from home. If it was me I would tow it home and do the work myself.

Radiator cap is cheap. I would let the water pump (easy to replace) and hoses (again cheap) ride until they show signs they need replaced (if they ever do). Just drain coolant when you do the cups, fill with water and flush with water every day for a few days (maybe add some mean green or similar degreaser). Once the cooling system has been flushed a few times then fill with ELC. Pulling the valve covers is never a bad thing, it is a good time to check the harness and glow plugs.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:53 AM
Hawk180
Senior User
Just did injector cups on mine yesterday. I used Simple Green to flush the cooling system. Works great. After draining the coolant/fuel mixture, I refilled with clean water and did a water flush first, then closed the drain, added two cups of Simple Green, started the truck and let it run for about 20 mintes. Afterward, I did another fresh water flush. Then I refilled with antifreeze/coolant and water to a 50/50 mixture and added a bottle of antifreeze additive. It's running great today.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:15 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

You guys are great, I really REALLY appreciate the support. You can imagine my state of mind, first day of vacation!

I have decided to ship the truck home and fix it myself. I was due for a cooling system flush anyway, and already have the gold coolant.

I'm shopping for a transporter now, hopefully I can get a hotshot passing through or something that can do door-to-door, it is actually looking good for that.

Thanks again for all of your assistance! You guys have REALLY helped with the decision process. FTE is the greatest!

Old 07-27-2012, 01:50 PM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Bummer. But, It's not a hard job - just time consuming. CLEAN, CLEAN, and CLEAN some more. Lots of guys will use non-foaming dishwasher detergent to help flush the fuel out.
I'm sure you'll be reading all about it.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

OK, after going around and around with some auto transfer brokers, I found a local guy with a towing/transfer business that I really liked. I was happy to be talking to the guy that actually owned the trucks that would be doing the hauling. Knowing my situation, he gave me a great deal, and my truck left on a flatbed for his yard, where it will sit for a few days while he puts the rest of a load together for the long-distance part. He thinks he'll have the truck to me within a week.

I'd like to say THANKS AGAIN to everyone who contributed to this thread and help me with the diagnosis and the prognosis. I would have been totally screwed if not for all of you guys.

Old 07-28-2012, 06:29 PM
94WhiteF250
Senior User
Glad to hear everything is working out for you. I would of been freaking out!

Hey enjoy the rest of your vacation buddy! Good luck with all the work when you get home.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:23 AM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Freaking out, yep, that pretty much sums it up. At least we made it to our destination, and didn't have to sit in the middle of nowhere trying to figure it out.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by KelVarnson
Also, if it is only one injector cup, do they have a way of finding out WHICH one?
I know you will be changing all the cups but here is a little FYI for finding a cracked cup: LINK

Old 07-29-2012, 05:14 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last time I looked at renting a car at one location and returning it to another a 1000 miles away, they wanted an arm and a leg in fee's.
Weather or not this is still the policy I do not know.
Might want to check it out, or rent a truck.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:34 PM
KelVarnson
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by PaysonPSD
I know you will be changing all the cups but here is a little FYI for finding a cracked cup: LINK
Thanks for that! Bookmarked for reference in the very near future!

Originally Posted by hammer65
The last time I looked at renting a car at one location and returning it to another a 1000 miles away, they wanted an arm and a leg in fee's. Weather or not this is still the policy I do not know. Might want to check it out, or rent a truck.
The rental car tacked another $175 onto the adventure. Total cost for getting us and the truck back home will be just under a grand. I should still be pretty far ahead financially by doing the work myself, and I don't have to deal with the anxiety of picking the truck up at a dealer and driving it 450 miles right after major surgery.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Leak (Fuel Everywhere), 450 Miles From Home