Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

How about an aluminum F150?

Old 07-28-2012, 09:24 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg B
I don't think the mileage increase would offset the cost.
I don't think the EPA and government cares what it costs to meet the emissions and fuel economy standards.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:02 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 435 Likes on 320 Posts
Every modern vehicle is a throw-away vehicle. Plus, I don't think stress cracks are much of a problem on non-structural parts.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:30 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Every modern vehicle is a throw-away vehicle. Plus, I don't think stress cracks are much of a problem on non-structural parts.
I think I'd have to challenge this one head on.

My daughter arrived Friday from Illinois in a 2011 Chevy Aveo. They two at once as they are young and not yet established.

I drove the car yesterday, returned and then drove my 2010 Focus. The Aveo is cheap, tinny and lacks power. My focus by comparison is powerful, solid, quiet and achieves 20% better overall fuel economy.

My F-150 is very quiet, extremely powerful and achieves superior MPG's for a vehicle in it's class when compared to it's competition from today and decades ago.

Ford is not building throw away vehicles, drive the competition and you'll see.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:20 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't think the EPA and government cares what it costs to meet the emissions and fuel economy standards.
Amen brother!

Old 07-29-2012, 08:35 AM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If Ford is considering building F150 trucks with aluminum panels, knowing how their R&D systems works, they have already built an aluminum truck and pretty much know what the pros and cons are. They know how to market vehicles. Especially if it's going to be released in the next few years. I think I’ll leave it to the experts on this one. Ford has done a great job so far.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm ok with it if they can get the paint prep, etc, figured out like others have said. The wife's '08 Taurus X has cancer on the hood that started at ~36,300 miles. Oh well, we're trading it soon, so someone else gets to shell out to fix it.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:56 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is a terrible idea.

I love the idea of a truck that doesn't die from rust, but aluminum just corrodes away from dissimilar metals.
Welding aluminum removes like 60-80% of the strength from the surrounding aluminum, so I doubt spot welds would be common anymore.
If they want to make a body from aluminum, fine, but you also need aluminum screws, aluminum bolts, EVERYTHING has to be aluminum.

I have learned a lot about aluminum lately, (still learning) as I am wanting to build an aluminum boat. (8'6" x 36- 40 ft with cabin, basically a floating cruising camper)
You can't even clean aluminum off with a metal brush before welding... just those few tiny microscopic particles are enough to FU&& the weld right over.....

I believe a few bodies on big trucks are aluminum, but they are not round and styled as much as a ford truck, and I think rivets are common.

So yeah everyones excited about a "last forever" aluminum truck, but I doubt ford will even be trying to use an alloy that is particularly good and resisting corrosion, they'll be looking for the lightest alloy, and one that will take a bit of a beating.

They have been happy till now letting trucks rust away, why would they all of a sudden offer a truck that doesn't corrode or rust?

Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Breaker 1-9
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen the current F150's go just lightly over bumps and watched ther entire bed jiggle/shake/viberate. Oh and whatever happen to good'ol american steel? BTW we're talking trucks here, not race cars. I think Ford needs to get serious with quality control and knowing the tolerances of certain materials. Lately I have seen plastic in Fords newer vehicles in which I remeber having toys almost completely stronger than an entire vehicle currently on the road from Ford.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tseekins
I think I'd have to challenge this one head on.

Ford is not building throw away vehicles, drive the competition and you'll see.
Dude/Ma'am? I agree completely. My 2012 F150 has outperformed my last 2008 F150 hands down. I went from a Lariat in 2008, to an XLT (after a SD run) and my XLT has more gadgetry in it, and is far more refined than what I thought was the best-built truck on the planet just 4 years ago. I frickin' LOVE this truck more and more every day, and just tested out that "Hill Assist" today on the steepest road around here. 13% grade, and the RPM's come up automatically as the brake is released....COOL.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
International has had aluminum cabs and sleepers on it's 9000 series trucks for a long time. The aluminum will eventually corrode enough that the paint will pop off,but the aluminum will not rot though. Intrnational uses mostly rivets to hold everything together, but does use some bolts too. Usually the corrosion starts where the rivets/bolts are.

Old 08-14-2012, 07:10 PM
ChargersFanInCO
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordman19762003
International has had aluminum cabs and sleepers on it's 9000 series trucks for a long time. The aluminum will eventually corrode enough that the paint will pop off,but the aluminum will not rot though. Intrnational uses mostly rivets to hold everything together, but does use some bolts too. Usually the corrosion starts where the rivets/bolts are.
Yep, there will be rust wherever dissimilar metals bolt up unless treatment, or a gasket is applied....like aluminum heads bolted down to a cast block....with a gasket, or, in the case of Ford's painted aluminum parts, it takes a nasty gash through the clearcoat, paint, and primer to cause it. User issues.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:35 PM
jdhudall
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I want one for sure I live in Minnesota where are roads are salt half the year so no rust aluminum body would be great along with power to weight ratio and better fuel economy!! DUH Its a No Brainer for sure Can I order one right now with the echo boost!!

Old 08-14-2012, 09:34 PM
spwjones
New User
F-150 aluminum construction

My 2001 has an aluminum hood and the paint still looks great. It would be nice to not have door rocker panel rot anymore. It will be tricky to master the aluminum rebuild, but I wish them well. 700 lbs. sounds good.

What is happening with the all electric F-150?

Old 08-14-2012, 10:31 PM
mmhoove
4wd Low
On the Fence

They have a good F150, if it isn't broke don't fix it is what I always believe!!! I think it would be nice to see if they focused more on making the F250 a little for fuel efficiency with the power - especially the gas version instead of focusing on changing/adding/taking away more and more on the F150. Seems like they want the F150 to be the Ranger equivalent/replacement in some ways.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 AM
morgansword
New User
aluminum body parts

Well boys and girls, I have rode/drove just about anything with a steering wheel. I would buy an aluminum body panel parts ford in a heart beat! I use aluminum in a lot of my projects and they go through hell. Off rode hunting "buggies" are one of my claim to fame things i like to do. If they made the whole truck out of aluminum, i'd be first on my block to have one. This is one that i hope goes through to completion. , i've got at least twenty+ buggies behind me and they are all holding up just fine. Their big enough to require orbital steering, special tires and wheels, courage to drive, bad to the bone big block ford, chevy, @ dodge are all in my line up. All aluminum will be welcomed in my stable.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How about an aluminum F150?