Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

How about an aluminum F150?

Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
shortride
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
How about an aluminum F150?

700 pounds lighter, Yikes!!!!! I'm saving for it starting right now.

Ford Plans New F-150 Pickup Truck With Aluminum Body

Old 07-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing the bed will steel be steel, or at least have steel inserts on the inner walls and load floor.

I don't really see any issue with an aluminum body or chassis as long as it's designed and built correctly. Peterbilt has done/does it.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:53 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
The super structures of Coast Guard and Naval ships are aluminum skinned with steel ribs. Light and easier to maintain.

The hood on my Expy was damaged a couple of years ago by my daughter's basketball hoop. The hood could not be repaired, it required a complete replacement. $1100.00 for the hood alone.

The repairs will kill any savings and will likely force the auto insurance industry to possibly raise rates due to the complexity of repair or the cost of replacing body panels. My personal opinion here.

Old 07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Working with aluminum is really not that difficult. It can be bent, beaten, hammered, ground on, welded and sanded just like steel. It's for the most part actually easier to work with then steel. It just requires slightly different tools and technique.

If aluminum takes off, more body shops will get the tools necessary to work on aluminum.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 PM
FlatBlak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they shouldve done this about 80 years ago

Old 07-26-2012, 07:37 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I'm not hanging my hat on this one. After seeing how long Ford has had issues with the paint on their aluminum liftgates, I wonder if they'll get the paint prep process right. I can see a year or two (maybe) of wiling on the issue, but after that, it's rediculous. A $55-60k truck with cancer after three years is not right. I'm all on board of they prove themselves. Of course, well all be pushing aluminum someday, I'll bet. What ever happened to the plastic body panels?

Old 07-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
God I hope not. Ford has enough issues getting their current aluminum panels to stay painted as it is.

FYI, Ford has been running aluminum hoods and rear hatches since around 2004. It's been 8 yrs and they still corrode pretty regularly within the 1st year

the weight savings would be nice though

Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
The super structures of Coast Guard and Naval ships are aluminum skinned with steel ribs. Light and easier to maintain.
Tim,

I sure hope Ford takes the extra steps to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion if they don't build the entire truck out of aluminum. The Coast Guard has not done a good job with this, and it has cost taxpayers a lot of money in repairs to our ships over the years because of it. Our fine Naval Engineers still haven't figured out the simple things like you can't use stainless steel hardware to attach aluminum components to an aluminum superstructure, and mild steel doesn't work well when you bolt it straight to aluminum without any sort of barrier to keep them from touching one another.

Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by FORD COASTIE
Tim,

I sure hope Ford takes the extra steps to prevent dissimilar metal corrosion if they don't build the entire truck out of aluminum. The Coast Guard has not done a good job with this, and it has cost taxpayers a lot of money in repairs to our ships over the years because of it. They still haven't figured the simple things like you can't use stainless steel hardware to attach aluminum components to an aluminum superstructure.

Yeah, I know what you're saying bro. Three submarines and four CG Cutters in my resume and they still don't learn. Will Ford?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:03 PM
FORD COASTIE
Supporter of Patriotism
Received 2,358 Likes on 1,706 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
four CG Cutters in my resume
Glad to see I'm not the only Permanent Cutterman on these boards. Lol.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
Lead Head
Lead Driver
Guys, It's not like bolting aluminum and iron/steel components together is something new in the automotive world.

Aluminum heads on iron blocks. Aluminum thermostat housings on iron intakes. Aluminum intakes on iron heads. Aluminum transmissions to blocks, aluminum transfer cases to iron transmissions. Aluminum IRS differentials to steel chassis. Aluminum control arms to iron knuckles, etc...Yes there have been issues, but you are making it sound as if components are going to be falling off within a few years...

These trucks are not sitting in a bath of salt water 24/7.

The Ford hood issue turned out to be from iron particles getting on the aluminum panels before they were painted. My friend has a '98 Ranger with a factory aluminum hood. No excess corrosion on it or peeling paint.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Onus
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll buy one. No more rust problems! Good enough for me.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:35 PM
FlatBlak
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could be wrong but I thought my harley davidson truck has an aluminum hood, and my gf's lightning does too doesn't it? Her dads mustang for sure does and all of them have no paint problems after 12 years, the mustang only 6

Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
A couple of things, my 97 f-150 had an aluminum hood, never had any problems with it in the 7 years I owned it, audi has been making cars out of it for at least 10 years on the tt if I am not mistaken, all that said, I work in the trucking industry in s.e. mi, the chemicals that wayne county put on the roads in winter eat the equipment up big time, air bag pedistals, fuel tank corrosion issues etc, I think if they apply the correct paints and primers it may not be an issue for rocker panels and floor boards, but at this point I would be a little skeptical about such a vehicle in the northern tier of states, just my thoughts!

Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 AM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
my 98 expedition hood is good after 14 years and original paint. but i have repaired/painted a few 03-06 expedition hatches with corrosion issues. weird.

it will be interesting to see if the weight savings will make a marked improvement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How about an aluminum F150?