1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Power/Heated/Lighted Tow Mirror upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
LifeIsGood85383
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power/Heated/Lighted Tow Mirror upgrade...

I have a 2003 F250 7.3 FX4 Lariat with powered heated tow mirrors but DO NOT have the cool running light/turn signal built in mirrors like my buddies 2004.

I decided to order the power, heated & lighted tow mirrors to replace my un-lighted mirrors.

Finally one month later after many e-mails and phone calls the delayed package comes in good order. My new mirrors are here!

This morning I park the truck in the shade, put out the work table, place all the tools needed at the ready, remove the door panel, speaker and un-install the passenger mirror properly and quickly. Easy breezy!

I install the new mirror, plug in the wires and put everything back together. Quick and easy things are going smooth!

Before I put the door panel on, I check to see if everything is working properly.

The power mirror works! The heated elements work!

Yeah, this is where it goes downhill... The running lights/turning signal lights = nothing, nada, no bueno...not working.

From the vehicle harness through the door to the mirror connector there are obvious wires that are not plugged in the mirror plug/connector in the vehicle harness to make the lights work. (see picture) So; defeated and bummed I put everything back together put the tools away and here I sit at my computer looking for a solution.

On the bright side; it looks GREAT!

Now..... if I can only get them to work.....

Help please?

A~

PS - there is a gentleman out there who I promised my old mirrors to. Would you kindly get back in touch with me? I lost your contact info. I apologize for the delay and lack of communication.

Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2012, 02:22 PM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Turn signals are easiest found in the steering column and the brown wire is all over the vehicle for parking/running lamps. You will have to run though through the boot into the door. Here is a decent write-up.

New Mirror installation

Old 07-24-2012, 04:36 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
When I bought my 2003 (used in 2007), it came with the lighted mirrors but the lights didn't work. That's the whole reason that I found this site. I went to the dealership that I bought the ruck from and they told me they couldn't get them to work and wanted to take them off and give me the non-signal mirrors. I told them no. I then went to a Ford dealer and they wanted "about $800" to put a whole new wiring harness from a 6.0 on the truck..

I had come from mustang forums and just searched Ford Truck Enthusiasts and found FTE. I asked about how to add the wiring for the lights and turn signals to work and the smart guys here told me about a thread here.

Here is a good thread on it.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-all-done.html

Old 07-24-2012, 04:59 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Yep, follow the above write ups and it will be easy. I added 06 King Ranch mirrors to my early bird 99. Had to wire up the running/turn lights and the power for the heat. Looks great though, love them everytime I look at them. Now just for the recon smoked turnsignal lenses to match the clearence lights and will be good to go.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:57 PM
firewalker250SD
Freshman User
Did your heating elements work without any further wiring?

Old 08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by firewalker250SD
Did your heating elements work without any further wiring?
Each item in the mirror has it's own wire.
Turn - Parking lights - heat.

Some have it wired to 12v switched so it's always on. Myself and others wired it to a switch so we can control when it is powered up.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Yep mine worked fine. Put a switch on the dash and good to go.

Old 08-22-2012, 07:34 PM
Poolguy601
Senior User
Did you install a timer switch or a toggle switch for the heat side of the mirror

Old 08-22-2012, 07:41 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
You can use either one. I got the rear defrost switch for a 94 Explorer. Has the timer built in.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM
firewalker250SD
Freshman User
I've read on another post that the mirror heat wire is the black and white one. What "hot" wire do I run it to on the window switches bundle? Does that need a separate ground or just the black and white to a positive? Thanks for the help.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM
firewalker250SD
Freshman User
I wanted to bump this thread again. I would appreciate anyones input on getting power to the heating part of the new tow mirrors. I'd like to take the easy route and just have them "on" like ford did originally.

I don't want to mess up what I have and do not know which wire to splice into on the window control switch for power. I'm not any type of electrician and don't want to mess up everything thats working just for heated mirrors. But, they will be nice to have going before the frost gets here.

Any help, tips or pics appreciated.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:54 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,690 Likes on 1,134 Posts
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood85383
I have a 2003 F250 7.3 FX4 Lariat with powered heated tow mirrors but DO NOT have the cool running light/turn signal built in mirrors like my buddies 2004.

I decided to order the power, heated & lighted tow mirrors to replace my un-lighted mirrors.

Finally one month later after many e-mails and phone calls the delayed package comes in good order. My new mirrors are here!

This morning I park the truck in the shade, put out the work table, place all the tools needed at the ready, remove the door panel, speaker and un-install the passenger mirror properly and quickly. Easy breezy!

I install the new mirror, plug in the wires and put everything back together. Quick and easy things are going smooth!

Before I put the door panel on, I check to see if everything is working properly.

The power mirror works! The heated elements work!

Yeah, this is where it goes downhill... The running lights/turning signal lights = nothing, nada, no bueno...not working.

From the vehicle harness through the door to the mirror connector there are obvious wires that are not plugged in the mirror plug/connector in the vehicle harness to make the lights work. (see picture) So; defeated and bummed I put everything back together put the tools away and here I sit at my computer looking for a solution.

On the bright side; it looks GREAT!

Now..... if I can only get them to work.....

Help please?

A~

PS - there is a gentleman out there who I promised my old mirrors to. Would you kindly get back in touch with me? I lost your contact info. I apologize for the delay and lack of communication.
If you want to get rid of the old mirrors I need tow mirrors for my wife's excursion, that poor thing only has hippo ears on it! kinda sad.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:38 AM
LifeIsGood85383
Freshman User
FYI: Thank you all for your replies, I have found a home for the take off tow mirrors. I have replaced my old with the new mirrors however I have still not yet run the wires to make the new mirrors light up the marker lights and turn signals. I will get to it eventually… once I get the courage to splice into the OEM wiring…and I have a step by step, hold my hand it will be ok printable cheat sheet of some sort to go by.

Until then. It looks good when it is parked!

Old 03-18-2015, 02:03 PM
bakerbuilttracks
Elder User
subscribing

Old 10-05-2015, 11:03 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
what is the wire colors of the left and right turns ssignals its all i got left to wire on my 2000 with 08 mirrors... the bundle left of brake pedal is the one im wanting to connect into.

i wired my bottom lights to be the runnign lights on the mirrors is that what eveyone else does? i figured the top ones looked a little brighter so i wanted them to over power the running light as the turnsignal.

Quick Reply: Power/Heated/Lighted Tow Mirror upgrade...