Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Look out ford, gm, and dodge, international is entering the HD sector!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 12:01 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by parkland
Those cat trucks are larger work trucks, not nearly the same class as pickups. Maybe if they work out good for several years, CAT might have something.

Cat had a name in equipment and industrial and marine engines...
OTR cat engines never really made any huge advances to write home about, IMHO.
From what I have heard, understood, been told, etc, international and detroit diesel have bee the most economical engines to run in large fleet vehicles.
I agree, this isnt really a threat to pickups, yet. But the gap between pick up and medium duty is quickly closing. Its just interesting to see CAT branded trucks now.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I agree, this isnt really a threat to pickups, yet. But the gap between pick up and medium duty is quickly closing. Its just interesting to see CAT branded trucks now.
It sure is interesting, I think CAT might have had a better hand in the game if they jumped in earlier.

It surely looks like the pickup medium duty gap is closing quickly... International has some of the best chips to play.. also ford does too... wouldn't it be something to see a light medium duty pickup war between international and ford !!! haha, nobody would believe it until now!!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:22 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
It will actually be very interesting,

Ford has more experience with marketing to individual customers, and the fit and finish,

International has more experience with fleets, trucks that get used for real work, and durability.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:27 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Ford has more experience with marketing to individual customers, and the fit and finish,

International has more experience with fleets, trucks that get used for real work, and durability.
Wouldnt it be great if the two could come to an agreement and somehow join forces and work together...

Oh wait.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:37 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Wouldnt it be great if the two could come to an agreement and somehow join forces and work together...

Oh wait.

Yeah, a competition might likely spark up the best trucks yet.
I think ford might get forced into more longevity and lifespan;
International might get pushed into more creature comforts.....

Either way, we all win

Old 07-24-2012, 04:37 AM
2ndStroke
Lead Driver
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Same here...
I don't think the average guy wants to spend 100k+ on a truck.
The international sales guys told me the terrastar 4x4 will be competitive or slightly higher than big 3 diesel hd pickups.
No,, I don't think so either, when you mentioned putting a truck box on the terra, but didn't like that it didn't have 4x4, I figured I would mention the mxt, which has both thats all.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 AM
redford
Received 1,560 Likes on 908 Posts
How would that be different from the CXT that they use to offer?

Old 07-24-2012, 07:37 AM
Texas Chain Ring
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wait.
That would probably be the most reliable and longest lasting truck on the road.

oh, wait.. (<---coffee)

Old 07-24-2012, 07:38 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts

Yeah, a competition might likely spark up the best trucks yet.
I think ford might get forced into more longevity and lifespan;
International might get pushed into more creature comforts.....

Either way, we all win
I don't think so. I have very little faith in International, and have heard very few positive things about their commercial trucks over the years. Their engine lineup since 2007 is a great example of how they have lost touch with reality. Their current engines use a massive EGR system that destroys any semblance of fuel economy under the guise of reduced complexity. But these systems are by themselves complex, and the worst part is that this long-term corporate strategy failed miserably when it couldn't even meet the EPA emissions targets. Up until recently they were paying something like a $1,900 FINE per engine because their system failed to do what it was supposed to. Which does nothing but passes more cost onto those buying the trucks in addition to the increased fuel cost.

Navistar had two duds in the light duty engine market up until now with the 6.0L and 6.4L Powerstroke/VT/MaxxForce engines. And they use that same much-maligned 6.4L engine in this TerraStar vehicle of theirs in a chassis that makes it easier to service. The first time out of the gate Ford had a winner of an engine with the 6.7L Powerstroke, and this was after seven years of fail with Navistar engines.

Some would say that I don't like anything Navistar. And they'd be right.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM
TBR17
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone seen the new styled front end for the LoneStar models? Sorta reminds me of Maximum Overdrive...[/QUOTE]

The LoneStar is cool looking. Roush Fenway has a fleet of them pulling their haulers. They are Cummins powered though. Wonder why they are not using their own motor???

Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by TBR17
The LoneStar is cool looking. Roush Fenway has a fleet of them pulling their haulers. They are Cummins powered though. Wonder why they are not using their own motor???
The HD truck market is absoutely nothing like the consumer pickup market. You can spec a truck exactly the way you want it in hundreds of different ways. You can spec the exact axle you want under your truck, wheelbase, transmission make and type, engine make and type, cab size, and the list goes on and on. Truck manufacturers will throw just about anything under the hood that's certified to be an on-highway engine and bolt up to just about any transmission.

So yeah, lots o' fleet buyers spec Cummins engines in their Navistar trucks. Same way there are lots of Cummins- and Caterpillar-powered Freightliners out there rather than Freightliner's in-house Detroit brand.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:06 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by redford
How would that be different from the CXT that they use to offer?

The CXT is much larger, and costs way more that a diesel pickup, like 2x more.
I think a lot of guys would like one, but the cost is prohibitave, and also it might even be too big.

The terrastar is just a little bigger than a pickup, tougher, and not much if any more cost to buy.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:29 PM
78_f800crewcab4x4
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts
Am I the only one in here that has driven the late model internationals and realized how uncomfortable, cheap and poorly made the cabs are??????? HATE is an understatement. I thought the pos cab was about to fall off the chassis, door was wobbeling and flexing, dash was vibrating....gawdddd. Did I mention ugly? The cab and doors have no shape, they are just cost-effecient straight and square to save money, no design needed. Oh and who said int. has more experience building and selling medium duty trucks??? Ford has been doing it since before the 1930's... Internationals are hella sheity.

Having said this, long live the 7.3 in my ex.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:31 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I don't think so. I have very little faith in International, and have heard very few positive things about their commercial trucks over the years. Their engine lineup since 2007 is a great example of how they have lost touch with reality. Their current engines use a massive EGR system that destroys any semblance of fuel economy under the guise of reduced complexity. But these systems are by themselves complex, and the worst part is that this long-term corporate strategy failed miserably when it couldn't even meet the EPA emissions targets. Up until recently they were paying something like a $1,900 FINE per engine because their system failed to do what it was supposed to. Which does nothing but passes more cost onto those buying the trucks in addition to the increased fuel cost.

Navistar had two duds in the light duty engine market up until now with the 6.0L and 6.4L Powerstroke/VT/MaxxForce engines. And they use that same much-maligned 6.4L engine in this TerraStar vehicle of theirs in a chassis that makes it easier to service. The first time out of the gate Ford had a winner of an engine with the 6.7L Powerstroke, and this was after seven years of fail with Navistar engines.

Some would say that I don't like anything Navistar. And they'd be right.

I won't defend the choices made regarding the EGR VS urea debate, but that isn't just an international feature.
The 6.4 currently used by international is a lot different than the ford one, and honestly I think you'd be surprised by the highway MPG.

Fords 6.7 seems to be working out great for ford, but I think that's because they have full control over it... I don't see anything on that engine that is more than marginally better than the 6.4. A few things ARE better, but the 6.4 is better in other regards, it's not just a clean neat argument.

I do find it mind boggling that they'd rather pay 2000$ per engine in fines to not put a urea system on, but what do I know.

I have a feeling they might deal with emissions in a different way eventually, theres lots of talk about propane / natural gas on international forums. I mean in the sense that it might be getting implemented on new engines. Who knows what their plan is ...

Old 07-24-2012, 12:34 PM
parkland
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 78_f800crewcab4x4
Am I the only one in here that has driven the late model internationals and realized how uncomfortable, cheap and poorly made the cabs are??????? HATE is an understatement. I thought the pos cab was about to fall off the chassis, door was wobbeling and flexing, dash was vibrating....gawdddd. Did I mention ugly? Oh and who said int. has more experience building and selling medium duty trucks??? Ford has been doing it since before the 1930's... Internationals are hella sheity.

Not trying to take sides, or undermine your opinion; but I've heard the same or similar comments about all the big 3 trucks.
Obviously it all depends on what you're looking for, every brand, trim, etc of any vehicle is a little different, and different over model years etc, I
suspect international would be no different.

My opinion of the terrastar is that it rides super tight, even when you don't want it to...
I didn't notice any flexing or anything, seemed super tight in every aspect. Was a little louder than my 6.4 f350 though.

Quick Reply: Look out ford, gm, and dodge, international is entering the HD sector!!!!