Negative reputation

Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kw5413
I have never played the rep game. In fact, the rep game is the reason that limitations were put in place a few years ago. Some folks in the old Northwest Chapter got a tad overzealous with it.

In any case, about 15 rep hits and the 16th drops off the list.
I remember being able to see the rep comments just opening the user profile on my old VB site. I was an super admin (undeleteable) so I dont know if was, just because I was. There were many unlocked things I could see that others could not and not like they were highlighted to show the difference. (I never fully learned the program)

I do have to say for not even caring I find myself on this thread with every update....

People you need to move on and give me threads to read please getting board on the board!!!

EDIT:
I also didn't put that thumbs down Icon at the top of this post and cant edit it out .... But thats the easy way to let people know you dont like their post if you feel the need to...

Old 07-26-2012, 08:22 PM
SGPI
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm new to this forum and owning a Ford truck. With that said I did not know how to use it and would not have if I did. I'm sure I will not miss it.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:16 AM
bigdaddylove
Senior User
Meh, the whole setup sounds lame to me.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:23 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by bigdaddylove
Meh, the whole setup sounds lame to me.

This statement doesn't help us improve, care to specify?

Old 07-27-2012, 07:27 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,111 Likes on 2,644 Posts
I can't remember seeing the neg button was it beside the add rep button or where it said you disapproved when repping someone?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Jose A.
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I didn't even know there was such a thing.

I looked at my CP and all the lights are green. I hope that's good but otherwise this being a public forum, where there are so many personalities and upbringings, I don't believe in giving anyone a Negative just because of their opinions; Everybody has an opinion, right or wrong, it doesn't matter at the end of the day.

Positives yes, if someone hits the nail the head when helping another with any vehicle problem, but Negatives? Only if that person attacks another Forum member, or is a spammer, or whatever, and even then, that is a job for Moderators, not for self-appointed Forum Militia.

If you don't like someone's opinion, just ignore it, but don't attack them. Always remember this is a Public Forum, nobody owns it except the Owner.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:07 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not think I have ever given neg reps. I could be wrong though.

The only neg rep I have ever received was for posting a craigslist ad the first or second day I started. I got it from a moderator. No hard feelings from me even though I was not trying to be rude. I just thought others may have had a use for the truck. Now a days it is okay to do what I did.

I see no point in the neg rep area. I have never seen a member with neg rep points on the board. I do wish I could rep more often than I am allowed. I see people I respect and find their input very helpful that do not get enough rep.

I would rather give multiple reps to the same person for smart help or opinions, rather than some guy that started two days ago and has 20 green squares because he is in one thread.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:43 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by first today

I would rather give multiple reps to the same person for smart help or opinions, rather than some guy that started two days ago and has 20 green squares because he is in one thread.
If you were to learn about the subject you would know that NO ONE HAS "20 green squares".
11 GREEN SQUARES happens to be the limit.

And would you please show us who joined on the 25th of July, 2012 that has 20 green squares.

If you hurry you still have a chance to give me a negative rep for challenging you.

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 PM
Rush117
Senior User
I beat out some tough competition to earn a second square and I clearly earned a free set of steak knives for my efforts. I waited and waited for the FedEx guy to deliver them. As my excitement turned to amusement and my amusement to sorrow, I embarked on a journey that led me through many sleepless nights of sobbing and violent outbursts that culminated in a year of employer paid therapy. I was cured of my illness when the shrink finally led me to the place that I understood that the accomplishment of winning the kickball tournament in 5th grade gym class should occupy a more exalted position in my mind than how many reputation points I earned on an internet message forum. After all, I did get to stand in line to kick right behind little Sally. I may have snuck in a kiss. Why else would she have slapped me?

Then another year of therapy for dredging up the memory of being picked last in kickball and I have once again been entrusted to eat solid food with a sharp instrument unsupervised and now this...y'all are telling me that negative reputation is going away??? What am I going to do? Regardless of the fact that I never knew such a thing existed, it is now something I can NEVER experience. How can I go on like this?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 PM
first today
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bryan(Shorebird)

No neg reps for you, as you are one of the ones I respect and like to follow in their posts. I know how you feel about that thread and understand your reasons for it.

My comment is posted as tongue in cheek. Your goals are to be on top of a leader board on FTE.

To the people that are on here to get technical Ford advice, and not be on the top board, the green squares are misleading. I have gotten many of my reps in the non auto area, but have gotten very many from helpful technical advice.

When people come and go on the net, it is nice to see that someone giving the advice has been on awhile and earned their peas. It is misleading to those in the technical area to see people on for one year or less, with 500 posts, maxed out on peas.

If anything, their should be technical reps and non technical reps shown. This would make it easier for people to see the good guys for their general niceness and those that are nice with technical value.

Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Guess I better get started before it goes away...

"I got a lot of problems with you people!"

Jason

Old 07-28-2012, 06:53 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by first today
Bryan(Shorebird)

To the people that are on here to get technical Ford advice, and not be on the top board, the green squares are misleading.

When people come and go on the net, it is nice to see that someone giving the advice has been on awhile and earned their peas. It is misleading to those in the technical area to see people on for one year or less, with 500 posts, maxed out on peas.
I agree 100%. One of the things I consider important as far as advice goes is the member join date. If I see advice coming from someone who has been here 5-10 years then I know I can probably trust that person's advice more than perhaps someone who has been here for a year or less with upteen green squares! .

Old 07-28-2012, 07:15 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,217 Likes on 800 Posts
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I agree 100%. One of the things I consider important as far as advice goes is the member join date. If I see advice coming from someone who has been here 5-10 years then I know I can probably trust that person's advice more than perhaps someone who has been here for a year or less with upteen green squares! .

I respect your opinion but I disagree. Many newbies have plenty of useful info to offer and plenty of veterans are simply mean spirited or impatient.

Because we are on an internet site we seem to expect EVERYONE to be able to support their statements. If we were simply having a face to face to conversation it wouldn't be so confrontational.

For instance, I'm not a tech of any ilk but, if a thread comes up that I have some personal experience with, I'll offer my experience. It may not be useful at all but I shouldn't be expected to remain on the sidelines because I don't know all the details by heart or from memory.

Additionally none of us here should be posting for scooby snacks. We all come here looking for technical advise, simple help or fellowship. It should be freely offered and humbly accepted. In most cases here on FTE, it is.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:29 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
As this thread seems to have drifted away from the subject of Negative Reps being discontinued, into a disparagement of why persons give rep, I'm requesting the moderators take a look into the closing of it.

I'm rather taken aback that I have been singled out by name.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:34 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
I respect your opinion but I disagree. Many newbies have plenty of useful info to offer and plenty of veterans are simply mean spirited or impatient.
I never said nor meant to imply that newbys didn't have useful information to offer and I do not agree that "plenty" of veterans are mean spirited and/or impatient. I have encountered some impatience occasionally but very seldom from veterans. The little impatience I've seen comes from newbys who come on here with a chip on their shoulder and expect instant cures with little information.

Search this Thread