Sponsored by: Moser

New F150 SCrew owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:38 PM
clemarr
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New F150 SCrew owner with some questions

First of all I would like to say hello to everyone. I am new to this forum. I just purchased a 2012 F150 SCrew XLT 4x4 with the Ecoboost engine. I have a 1994 F150 work truck (no 4x4) that has served me well with just a little over 190,000 miles and still going strong except the rust. The only 4x4 we have had is an Expedition which rode great. Now my first question. We are in a middle of a trip with our new truck and this thing is beating us to death. Well not really that bad but does this truck suppose to ride this rough? I know it would ride a little rougher than a non 4x4. I am hoping it will get smoother when it gets a few miles on it.

2nd thing we noticed which I didn't when we test drove it is that out on the open road we noticed a lot of wind noise mainly on the driver side door. The driver door when we hit a bump or go over rail road tracks rattles kind of like the door is not all the way shut. When I get back to our local dealer I am going to have them check it.

Mileage wise we are averaging 19.2 as long as we keep our foot out of it and stay between 65 and 70. I have read some threads talking about MPG so I thought I would throw ours in. We have the 3.55 gear in ours.

Couple things I did do which I am really happy with is to purchase the dualliner bed liner and the the Under Cover classic bed cover. So far they have worked out great.

I thought I would see what other's thought on what I am seeing and also wanted to say I am looking forward to talking to everyone on here and enjoy my new truck. I am sure I will have some more questions as time goes on and who knows maybe even answer some questions also

Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
khensley
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Do you have the 5.5 or 6.5 foot bed? "beating us to death" I think that is the first time I have ever heard this description for a new F150, or even a Dodge or Chevy for that matter. Today's trucks ride like yesterday's cars.

So, I guess if you are used to driving a big 4 door Cadillac, then yes it might be beating you up. We have a 2009 Focus, and I will drive the F150 every single day if I could, there is no comparison in the ride.

Definitely get the wind noise checked out if you're feeling something loose in the door.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:07 AM
sprocket226
Junior User
Just put 800 miles on our '12 4x4 SuperCab Eco this week-end, rolls down the freeway smooth...
Easily the best riding truck I've ever owned.

Only complaint is the odors coming from engine compartment from being new. Not sure if it was the front pads (Allegheny Mtns.) something off the turbos, or what.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
Watt-maker
Freshman User
Sounds like the door(s) are not adjusted correctly or maybe weather stripping isn't on right. As for ride, how much air is in the tires? OEM tires? Something is going on, my truck the quietest, smoothest (almost too smooth) truck I have ever owned.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM
BigDfromTN
Tuned

Welcome to FTE!!!

Wind noise is definately not right!! Have that and the rattle checked out. Im thinking the 2 are related.

Rough ride dont sound just right either. Then again that is a relative term. My 2011 4X4 is a bit firmer than my old 2006 4X2 but I would not call it rough. Only rough ride we have experienced is while towing our 31' camper on a stretch of rough interstate. On good road, She rides good.

As for mileage. Sounds about right to me.

Thanks for reporting your findings and let us know how some of this turns out.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:22 PM
DaveDhc
New User
I test drove an FX4 and my impression was consistent with what you experienced with the roughness. I owned a Silverado and that truck was slightly stiff, but the FX4 was outright rough. In the FX4 I could feel every bump and expansion joints were unpleasant. My overall impression was that of being beat-up just as you describe.

On Saturday I ordered an FX4. I like what the truck is and its versatility. So I am OK living with a stout ride. I have no expectation of things smoothing out as the truck breaks-in.

My brother just bought a XLT and it is a 4x2. He describes the ride as being like a luxury car. I don't know if the difference is the 4x4 or the off-road suspension. Did you get the off-road package?

Old 07-24-2012, 10:45 AM
Ramble on
Junior User
I second wattmaker:
.Check air pressure in tires, as they can be very high at initial delivery
.Something is wrong with the door adjustment or the door weatherseal

If you still can't live with it, I will give you an out....even trade for my loaded 2wd '09 Supercrew max tow Lariat. Rides like a Linclon. I will even drive to you to effect this trade and help you out!

Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 AM
Pool Runner
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveDhc
I test drove an FX4 and my impression was consistent with what you experienced with the roughness. I owned a Silverado and that truck was slightly stiff, but the FX4 was outright rough. In the FX4 I could feel every bump and expansion joints were unpleasant. My overall impression was that of being beat-up just as you describe.

On Saturday I ordered an FX4. I like what the truck is and its versatility. So I am OK living with a stout ride. I have no expectation of things smoothing out as the truck breaks-in.

My brother just bought a XLT and it is a 4x2. He describes the ride as being like a luxury car. I don't know if the difference is the 4x4 or the off-road suspension. Did you get the off-road package?
I don't know, I have a plain old run of the mill 2wd SuperCab, XLT, 5.0 and while it is my favorite truck I have ever owned, it is fair to say it is also the most stiff. My truck has the chrome-plus pkg with the Sync and fancy instruments and such and I would say makes the cab downright luxurious for a truck, but the ride is far from luxury lol. That said I bought it because I needed a truck to work like a truck so I don't mind the stiff ride.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:13 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
What size wheels are on the trucks that are riding stiff? The bigger the wheel, the smaller the sidewall of the tire, thus less cushion. My FX4 has the 18s because I cannot stand anything bigger on a 4x4. It rode fine with the stock tires and now with some bigger meats, it rides even better.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:50 AM
blueovelboy
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
stiff ride wow thats not something one heres about the new F150's. i say its new tack it back to the dealer have them check it out! wind sound i had bad till i got my door re-adjusted and now i could not hear a noise out side of the truck!

Old 07-24-2012, 03:01 PM
stuff4ben
New User
When I was test-driving F150's, I too noticed the rougher and louder ride that the FX4 and XLT 4x4 with offroad package exhibited. While I would have loved to have the FX4 personally, I don't think the wife and kids would have liked that ride which is why I got a regular XLT 4x4 without the offroad package. This truck rides like a dream, much nicer than the Tacoma TRD PreRunner I came from.

Old 07-24-2012, 06:58 PM
DaveDhc
New User
Originally Posted by stuff4ben
When I was test-driving F150's, I too noticed the rougher and louder ride that the FX4 and XLT 4x4 with offroad package exhibited. While I would have loved to have the FX4 personally, I don't think the wife and kids would have liked that ride which is why I got a regular XLT 4x4 without the offroad package. This truck rides like a dream, much nicer than the Tacoma TRD PreRunner I came from.
I am with you on getting an XLT 4x4, but I was precluded from doing so by the self imposed constraint of having factory navigation.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:05 PM
stuff4ben
New User
Originally Posted by DaveDhc
I am with you on getting an XLT 4x4, but I was precluded from doing so by the self imposed constraint of having factory navigation.
sounds like you're getting a Lariat then

I fell in love with the FX4 EcoScrew I test drove, but I'm pleasantly satisfied with my loaded XLT.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:37 PM
DaveDhc
New User
Lariat would have been a good choice. I ordered an FX4. Not sure what the difference would have been though. The FX4 has an off-road package and I wanted the skid plates so the FX4 seemed to be the right truck. But I looked at the Lariat and it would have been about the same amount of money, minus off-road, but with 4x4.

Old 07-25-2012, 05:20 AM
Horse Doctor
Junior User
My regular cab STX 4x4 rode so much better than my '08 regular cab 4x2 that my wife fell in love with the truck on the test drive.

Quick Reply: New F150 SCrew owner with some questions