1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck rides like crap when towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck rides like crap when towing

I was towing the pulling tractor today and got the crap beat out of me. The tractor and gn flatbed weigh 10k. I have tried moving the tractor farther forward and farther back over the axles but it does not make any difference. My horse trailer had the axles way at the back of the trailer (pic in sig) and it was never this rough a ride. Most of the drive was on concrete road and every seam just beat the crap out of me. Does a gooseneck trailer matter as much where the weight is placed? I know what happens with a bumper pull if you don't have enough tongue weight...been there, thought we were going to roll the whole rig! I know a gn will track fine if the weight is not just right, but what about the ride?

I have been considering air bags for a while. Will air bags help the ride? What else should I consider for a better loaded ride? I have not checked out my shocks but they are probably due for some help. The truck rides great unloaded or with a few thousand on the bed but add a trailer to extend the bounce and its just, well, painful.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Kajtek1
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air bags will help as with 10k trailer you will have close to 2000 lb on the hitch and that will sag the factory suspension quite a bit.
I do tow small bulldozers (up to 10,000) with my F250. On my 4500 lb equipment trailer, I load them far in the back with blade facing rear. This way the air drag is not making fishtailing. My trailer is 3 axle what helps with stabilization.
Gooseneck will shift the tongue weight from the hitch, over 2 feet behind the rear axle to few inches before the axle. That makes whole World of difference.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Make sure shocks are good and get some timbrens..You'll never ride without them again..

Dick

Old 07-23-2012, 08:28 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Adding air bags on my truck made a huge difference in "chucking". I tow a 32' 5th wheel and would get the same thing over seams in the road or bridges. The air bags has eliminated it enough that my wife even noticed that it rides better.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Need more info on what was going on.

We're you feeling the trailer lifting the rear of the truck a lot? It should require a really big swell/dip in the road to cause negative hitch weight, no matter what kind of hitch. This is generally the worst feeling.

Or were you feeling hard downward bumping, like your rear suspension was riding the bump stops?

A little of both means too much weight. A little of each happens, a lot of each requires some load shifting. Air bags don't help negative hitch weight but make the positive hitch weight feel a lot better and keeps things away from bottoming out.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:37 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Had a bad ride when loaded particular with a decent sized boat with spongy ST tires. Going over decent bumps would throw the truck around too much. The stock shocks only had 50k on them but I replaced them with a new set Monroe Reflex shocks and it solved the problem. The stock shocks I took off were still in decent shape and were not leaking they are just not very good shocks.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:24 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Thanks for the input. I am almost positive I am not getting negative hitch weight, the truck is sitting pretty hard on the overload leaf. The chains on the tractor did slack about 10 miles down the road and the tractor was rocking back and forth but I pulled over and tightened the chains back up...it didn't help. Here is a picture I took yesterday of how the trailer was loaded.

The Timbrens look interesting, I have seen them on trucks before but I have never talked to anyone who used them to see how they like them. I have heard far more people using air bags. I was planning on adding onboard air to my truck at some point to fill tires and run air horns so then I would have air for the bags too.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:58 AM
Deeztha1
New User
goose neck

is that a 18' big tex goose neck? if so i have the same one and i had the same problem. i have air bags and they do help but what i did to correct the issue was wheel bearings and replaced the Goose neck tires.
i also always put the load over the trailer axles, unless its a solo tractor then ill shift the weight forward just a lil. much like you have in your picture. just back toward the axles a lil more

Old 07-23-2012, 12:02 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
The Timbrens look interesting, I have seen them on trucks before but I have never talked to anyone who used them to see how they like them. I have heard far more people using air bags. I was planning on adding onboard air to my truck at some point to fill tires and run air horns so then I would have air for the bags too.
You do not have to have onboard air to use the airbags it is just handy. The Firestones my dad had on his truck he just adjusted the pressure and ride height with a schrader valve mounted to the frame. Just like filling a tire.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Originally Posted by Deeztha1
is that a 18' big tex goose neck? if so i have the same one and i had the same problem. i have air bags and they do help but what i did to correct the issue was wheel bearings and replaced the Goose neck tires.
i also always put the load over the trailer axles, unless its a solo tractor then ill shift the weight forward just a lil. much like you have in your picture. just back toward the axles a lil more
Its actually a PJ, it is a nice and well built trailer but my first choice would be a Big Tex, those things are overbuilt. I am not impressed with where the axles are on this trailer, they are right tight against the dovetail. The closest I can get to centered over the axles is to put the front tractor tires right at the start of the dovetail but then it makes it hard to chain down. The trailer is only a year old with probably 200 miles on it. I wouldn't think the tires and bearings were in need of maintenance yet. I should check the tire pressure though.

Originally Posted by dkf
You do not have to have onboard air to use the airbags it is just handy. The Firestones my dad had on his truck he just adjusted the pressure and ride height with a schrader valve mounted to the frame. Just like filling a tire.
Right I just figured if you have onboard air you could use the schrader valve to set the bags. If I wanted to go all out I would probably plumb in leveling valves.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you bought it new, the trailer likely has cheap tires on it. Do you know what they are and what they are rated for?

Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I may be weigh (sic!) off base, but....
is the bed on your truck VERY, VERY HEAVY ?
If so, it alone may be more than your truck suspension is rated at ?!?

Have you weighed it @ a cat scale to get front and rear axle weights ?

Maybe a cushioned type hitch might help if it's chucking a lot: Shocker Hitch - Air Suspension Trailer Hitches

(was gonna suggest a TrailAir 5th wheel hitch, but won't quite work on a gooseneck)

I did get a set of these: http://www.activesuspension.com/how-it-works.html
but pulled them and put on air bags when I found I was putting more weight down than I thought...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:44 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Originally Posted by 89LX306
Adding air bags on my truck made a huge difference in "chucking". I tow a 32' 5th wheel and would get the same thing over seams in the road or bridges. The air bags has eliminated it enough that my wife even noticed that it rides better.
x2 including the wife noticing it

I went airbags and new shocks (RS9000XL) and the truck is waaaay different (better). I don't dread bridge transitions anymore.

Old 07-23-2012, 07:59 PM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
Just a guess here, but I think you're overloaded on the bed weight and the crappy ride is a result of that. I'm guessing you have a payload capacity of around 2400 pounds. 2000 of that is pin weight, another 500 for your heavy duty flatbed, now add your fuel, cargo, driver and passengers, you're probably above 3000 pounds.

Air bags will help.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:29 PM
maverick22
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You said you moved it forward and back but did you try turning the tractor around? My feeling is there's too much pin weight. I want the heaviest part of the tractor towards the back of the trailer. Air bags might help but you may not need them. That tractor isn't all that heavy, the truck should handle it no problem.

Quick Reply: Truck rides like crap when towing