1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Setting up 2009 E350 XLT 15 passenger for towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 01:08 PM
DJandAmy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Setting up 2009 E350 XLT 15 passenger for towing

Hi,

Amy here. DJ and I are trying to figure out what exactly it is we have going on on our 2009 E350. We bought this used. Here are some pictures of what we have found. From these pictures, what do we have and how do we get this thing ready to tow a travel trailer. We have searched links and checked other posts but not sure what these parts are called and what adapters will work. And if we need adapters. Any help is appreciated....

Amy

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Old 07-20-2012, 02:57 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
there are a few points to consider for towing
lights: do you already have a light plug to connect to your trailer? if yes, does it work, or is this what you're trying to work out with these pics of various plugs? there should be a connector about halfway back along the left frame rail thats used for trailer lights. on models with the tow package, this will already be plugged in to the harness that runs back and ends in the trailer plug.
brakes: is your trailer equipped with electric brakes? if yes, you'll need a brake controller to operate them.
transmission cooler: its helpful to add an auxilary transmission cooler to protect the tranny from overheating while towing, especially if you're towing long distances or in hilly areas

Old 07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
DJandAmy
New User
Originally Posted by joshofalltrades
there are a few points to consider for towing
lights: do you already have a light plug to connect to your trailer? if yes, does it work, or is this what you're trying to work out with these pics of various plugs? there should be a connector about halfway back along the left frame rail thats used for trailer lights. on models with the tow package, this will already be plugged in to the harness that runs back and ends in the trailer plug.
brakes: is your trailer equipped with electric brakes? if yes, you'll need a brake controller to operate them.
transmission cooler: its helpful to add an auxilary transmission cooler to protect the tranny from overheating while towing, especially if you're towing long distances or in hilly areas
Amy here - What we want to do is get our van set up to pull our travel trailer which is currently being pulled by our Suburban. Our travel trailer has brakes that's controlled with a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake controller. I have found that I can plug this in to the brake controller wiring with the correct brake controller adapter harness.

After reading your post I went out and looked where you said to look and found this.

Counting the wires and with some online research, it appears it is a 7 way connector?? Two of the other pictures I posted appear to also be a 4 way connector also located underneath. The 7 way is not plugged into a harness that goes back to a trailer plug. It just stops by the spare tire. How to I get this extended back to where it needs to be to plug into a trailer plug? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:21 PM
joshofalltrades
Postmaster
that connector looks familiar, i'm pretty sure its the right one.
i've read that there's a relay group under the hood for trailer lights, but honestly the newest econoline i've worked on is an 03, so i'm not sure exactly where it is, or if it was left out on models that didn't come with a factory tow package. if thats the case, i'm sure they sell them online or at the dealer (if all else fails).
you might want to ask your local parts store if they have a direct-fit harness from that point back. last time i was searching for a trailer light adapter, i noticed a number of models of direct-fit harnesses on the shelf at napa.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:04 PM
DJandAmy
New User
Thanks. I think we are gonna make a run to Napa tomorrow

Old 07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Edit to add: OOPS! I see you have an 09! My info below is for 08 and previous! You have found the brake controller cable. Drawtite makes a pigtail that you can use to splice your controller in. Drawtite 20270. Tekonsha has one too. 09 underbody trailer wiring is beyond me! My 2012 was factory setup.

It appears your van was built WITHOUT a factory tow package. If that is the case, you will have a lot of wiring to do.

Check under the steering wheel, on the left side, near the parking brake. You are looking for a SIX PIN connector. It is grey, and roughly rectangular. This is the connector for a brake controller.

If you do not have the class II wiring package, then you vans wiring harnesses lack the wires that bring Battery+, Reverse, and Electric Brake Signal to the rear of the van. If you DO have the Class II wiring package, somewhere on the drivers side framerail of the van, near the back you will have two round connectors. One is roughly D-shaped and the other is round with two protrusions. One will have 4 wires, the other will have 3. If this is the case, your van can tow a 7-blade RV plug equipped trailer with less than 15 minutes of plug-and-play wiring by ordering some bits at the ford dealer. If this is not the case, you will find a single round connector with 4 wires. In such a situation, if you are not particularly handy (splicing and running wires, routing them safely and sheathing them to protect them from the elements) then you will probably want to take it to a shop that is setup to handle this kinda thing.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:25 AM
SilverE350
Senior User
On my 08' I bought the factory harness, it spliced together the tailights, backup sensors and trailer plug. I'm sure Ford makes something similar for newer models. There was a guy on here about a year ago, went by the handle "KillerRC", he had an 09 or 10 that he set up for towing. He laid out a very detailed thread on the subject, if you search under his name I'm sure you'll find your answers.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:29 AM
DJandAmy
New User
Originally Posted by 95e150CW
Edit to add: OOPS! I see you have an 09! My info below is for 08 and previous! You have found the brake controller cable. Drawtite makes a pigtail that you can use to splice your controller in. Drawtite 20270. Tekonsha has one too. 09 underbody trailer wiring is beyond me! My 2012 was factory setup.

It appears your van was built WITHOUT a factory tow package. If that is the case, you will have a lot of wiring to do.

Check under the steering wheel, on the left side, near the parking brake. You are looking for a SIX PIN connector. It is grey, and roughly rectangular. This is the connector for a brake controller.

If you do not have the class II wiring package, then you vans wiring harnesses lack the wires that bring Battery+, Reverse, and Electric Brake Signal to the rear of the van. If you DO have the Class II wiring package, somewhere on the drivers side framerail of the van, near the back you will have two round connectors. One is roughly D-shaped and the other is round with two protrusions. One will have 4 wires, the other will have 3. If this is the case, your van can tow a 7-blade RV plug equipped trailer with less than 15 minutes of plug-and-play wiring by ordering some bits at the ford dealer. If this is not the case, you will find a single round connector with 4 wires. In such a situation, if you are not particularly handy (splicing and running wires, routing them safely and sheathing them to protect them from the elements) then you will probably want to take it to a shop that is setup to handle this kinda thing.
The pictures I have posted are the connectors we have on the van.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
95e150CW
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, i just went and looked under my 2012.

Pictures 3 and 4 show the 16-way tow wiring harness. This line carries brake/turn light signals and ground. You should find a 4 pin round connector nearby tucked up on the frame. The 8 pin connector you found isn't related to towing.

If there is no 4 pin connector nearby, then your van has a class I wiring kit, and isn't wired to tow an electric brake equipped trailer. It can be modified with the correct wires safely by someone with electrical skills.

Class II wiring connector kit: Electrical Wiring - Reese
Directions showing pictures of connectors for Class II kit: http://www.reeseprod.com/content/dow...on/N118261.pdf

Class I wiring connector kit: Electrical Wiring - Reese

Picture 1 shows the

Old 03-02-2014, 04:30 PM
Keny1
Junior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 03-03-2014, 01:29 PM
katoranger
Senior User
Makes me happy that the PO already had all that done. Here is a link that I have found helpful. Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 I have used their videos for guidance. Not sure if they have any of the Ford vans.