1961 - 1963 F100 Unibody 1961, 1962 and 1963 Ford F100 Unibody trucks

460 and camaro subframe????

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 PM
dragginwagon
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 and camaro subframe????

i know i know i know.....camaro subframe blah blah blah....
im not interested in peoples opinions on the camaro subframe swap so please save it.( this will be my 5th one so im fully aware of the pros and cons)

now for my question
has anyone put a 460 in a camaro subframe or can anyone point me in the right direction for info on this swap? i recently picked up a new project (63 unibody) and last weekend while at the local pullapart i scored a a freshly rebuilt 460 complete with performer intake and rebuilt c6 for 230 bux from a 70 lincoln. you can eat off the insides and it has balanced rods and new .40 over pistons. couldnt beleive my eyes when i pulled the intake and valve covers off!
i know i'll need a rear sump pan, im more concerned with headers? they need to be shortys as this truck will sit on the ground. any help or suggestions on the subject would be appreciated.... im very unfamiliar with ford BB's so school me

cheers,
chris

Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dragginwagon
i know i know i know.....camaro subframe blah blah blah....
im not interested in peoples opinions on the camaro subframe swap so please save it.( this will be my 5th one so im fully aware of the pros and cons)

now for my question
has anyone put a 460 in a camaro subframe or can anyone point me in the right direction for info on this swap? i recently picked up a new project (63 unibody) and last weekend while at the local pullapart i scored a a freshly rebuilt 460 complete with performer intake and rebuilt c6 for 230 bux from a 70 lincoln
i know i'll need a rear sump pan, im more concerned with headers? they need to be shortys as this truck will sit on the ground. any help or suggestions on the subject would be appreciated.... im very unfamiliar with ford BB's so school me

cheers,
chris

Install five 460s and post us back..........

Garbz

Old 09-13-2010, 02:42 PM
dragginwagon
Senior User
aren't you just the cleaver guy...
bet your momma's extra proud

some people never change
i didnt appreciate your crap in my last thread (2 years ago) and i certainly dont need it now.... if you have anything further to say please pm me

Old 09-13-2010, 07:15 PM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
Im not here to bash so no need to worrie about me! I would love to know about your ideas on the camaro sub frame. Have you done this swap to a 60s ford? As for the 460 Im sure you could do it, as there has been 396s and 454s in those cars for years.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM
dragginwagon
Senior User
im sure it can be done, just curious if anyones got any pointers... i'll figure it out one way or another

yeah ive done 2 65 f100 camaro swaps, one for me and one for my grandfather. done a few on the 50's as well
just did this one couple weeks ago for my dad... were doin a father son tandem build
his is a 53

Old 09-13-2010, 09:50 PM
brown79
Senior User
is that fromt clip got front steer? i would guess 4x4 fenderwell headers would work. fromt sump and rear sump oil pans are available. clearly you have the fab skills to make motor mounts. the 460 would be a good choice.

Old 09-14-2010, 02:24 PM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My mother has been departed since 98, and yes she was very proud of me.........

I am just advising you to learn, nothing more. You seem to be the camaro expert so become a 460 in a GM clip one too. Not many here can provide the information you seek as almost everything will be a custom fab and a mistake or two.

Once you have it down pat then post an article proclaiming the wonderful handling of the GM clips and attached ford big block engines.

Garbz

Old 09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
dragginwagon
Senior User
Originally Posted by garbz2
My mother has been departed since 98, and yes she was very proud of me.........

I am just advising you to learn, nothing more. You seem to be the camaro expert so become a 460 in a GM clip one too. Not many here can provide the information you seek as almost everything will be a custom fab and a mistake or two.

Once you have it down pat then post an article proclaiming the wonderful handling of the GM clips and attached ford big block engines.

Garbz

your reading and comprehension skills are pretty terrible.... ive never once "proclaimed" anything nor have ever claimed to be an " expert" at anything. stop tryin to be smart, stop tryin to put words in other's mouths, and keep your useless advice to yourself.
i came here hoping that someone other than a 5th grader would have a few answers... if no one knows thats fine

Old 09-14-2010, 10:08 PM
brown79
Senior User
thanks for resisting the urge to put a brand x drivetrain in the truck. it sure would be easy, with those chevy motormounts right there. if you do give in to the dark side, at least use something cool like a 348 or 409

keep on posting, we like pics.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:35 PM
airharley
Postmaster
If you look at the basic design of the cross member it is pretty close to that of the later style F-150's that had a 460 resting in them. My advise would be to make a card board template that sits across the camero clip and one from a junkyard F-150 frame. Then it is nothing more than comparing the two templates to see what extra you do or don't need.

Old 09-15-2010, 04:24 PM
instig8r63
Cargo Master
Received 108 Likes on 82 Posts
I'm not trying to bag on anything here but if you are taking the time and effort to graft in a new front end, why an outdated draglink type steering set-up?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 AM
dragginwagon
Senior User
Originally Posted by instig8r63
I'm not trying to bag on anything here but if you are taking the time and effort to graft in a new front end, why an outdated draglink type steering set-up?
cause im baggin it, ha!
naw seriously thats the biggest reason. the truck will be flat on the ground and these front clips are very easy to bag and the geometry is very good for the extreme travel, camber change is very minimal. plus i have one layin in the shop from a car a scrapped out and parts are cheap (170 for everything to rebuild) . i have a baby on the way and the wife isnt real gaa gaa about me starting another project, so cheap helps.
im not goin for a canyon carver or anything, just a simple cruiser.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 AM
dragginwagon
Senior User
Originally Posted by airharley
If you look at the basic design of the cross member it is pretty close to that of the later style F-150's that had a 460 resting in them. My advise would be to make a card board template that sits across the camero clip and one from a junkyard F-150 frame. Then it is nothing more than comparing the two templates to see what extra you do or don't need.
thanx for the heads up. i'll have to go take a look. seen a set of headers on ebay built for 50's fords with 460's, they looked like they would work.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:33 AM
kevin206
Senior User
Post up some pics of those other swaps. I'm actually against crossbreeding cars. We had a camaro clip and a SBC put under my dads 52 customline years ago and have regretted it ever since. However, I see the benefit of cheap, easily found new and used parts abound. As for that customline...A guy that lives close by did the same swap and has corvette ralleys on the car. Looks good.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:03 PM
Scifi266
Senior User
Ok, I would look into some camaro forums to see if they have done any swaps of this nature. I'm sure someone must have lol i've even seen 460's in pinto's. as for the subframe looks good.

As from this thread, no crap from either side cause i don't think time out's exist on the forums.

Quick Reply: 460 and camaro subframe????