Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission: Auto to Manual Swap 92-97 F-Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 11:03 PM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Transmission: Auto to Manual Swap 92-97 F-Series

OK, I know most of us love your trucks to the point where our spouses/significant others, feel they are having to compete for attention between you, and your truck, I've loved mine since the day I got it, however, I'm NOT a fan of automatic transmissions, and have always thought of doing a swap to change that, I have owned my truck for several years, and it has NEVER let me down, but this winter, she decided her transmission wasn't up to the task, and dumped Reverse, 3rd and 4th, guess what, it's time for a manual transmission swap!

I located a 1992 F150 in Casper, WY for a literal STEAL, but figured, before I get it here to tear into it, maybe tearing into mine would make things easier, I started a few days ago, and posted in the "What have you done with your truck" thread, where Midnight advised making this into a write-up, which I felt was a great idea, so here I am, to hopefully help some of you understand what is involved in swapping your truck from an Automatic to a Standard/Manual.

I only have one picture at this time, but plan to post a video tomorrow catching up on everything I've gotten done so far.

The transmission is NOT the only part of the truck getting attention, she's getting an entire facelift, and a leveling kit (already purchased)

This is the donor truck I am getting in a couple weeks, and if anyone is close-by to Cheyenne, and wishes to help, you may have a few parts you've been needing for your help (Funds are scarce atm)

Kinda the only picture I have at this moment.
But I promise, this thread will NOT be as pathetic as this entry into the abyss.

Keep an eye out, I'll be randomly posting on my breaks from working on it, and will be willing to answer whatever questions I can answer.

I see this so far as a rather, fun, project for my truck and I.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Xclimation
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking forward to watching your progress! There are a couple of good threads on here about doing this swap. One thread has a picture which shows all the parts needed for the swap. When my tranny goes someday, I may attempt this swap.
I wish I lived in Wyoming! It's beautiful there!

Old 07-18-2012, 05:06 PM
fordrulez
Senior User
thats a sharp truck love the eddie bauers, if my 4r70w ever goes south 323,000 miles now lol going to do a zf5 swap.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:23 PM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
OK, I got a video of what I have done so far, and some of the battles I've had to go through, this isn't hard, it's just time consuming.

I'm sorry I sound a bit out of it, I've been feeling a bit "Off" the past few days.

Originally Posted by Xclimation
Looking forward to watching your progress! There are a couple of good threads on here about doing this swap. One thread has a picture which shows all the parts needed for the swap. When my tranny goes someday, I may attempt this swap.
I wish I lived in Wyoming! It's beautiful there!
I can't stand it here, it's got it's own "Beauty", however, I'm from Mass/New Hampshire, and I still think New England has the best beauty, and history, but that is only an opinion.

Originally Posted by fordrulez
thats a sharp truck love the eddie bauers, if my 4r70w ever goes south 323,000 miles now lol going to do a zf5 swap.
Thanks man, I love my truck, and I seem to get a lot of compliments on it, you should see it with all my accessories and whatnot, it's even sweeter looking, you'll see it all at the end of this thread.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Maverick1978
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
This is something im definately going to want to follow!

Old 07-19-2012, 10:59 AM
Midnite1987
Cargo Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Subscribing

Old 07-19-2012, 11:26 AM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
Well, today I will be seeking out a floor jack to finish dropping the transmission today.

My goal today: Finish everything under the truck.

Old 07-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Maverick1978
More Turbo
good luck!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Maverick1978
good luck!!!
Thanks Mav.

OK, so I finally got that stubborn bolt off, as well as the cross-member, I'm workin on getting the TC bolts off, and slide it right out, after that, it's easy sailing, and a waiting game, I wish I could afford to get the donor truck here sooner.

Will have more pictures in the next few hours.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:27 PM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
I didn't get the transmission off, I forgot my tools at my brothers by mistake, but tomorrow it'll be out for sure, and I'm more than likely going to just let it drop on it's own weight, since I found a lot of things telling me it's not even worth the core, watch the video I posted, and listen to the noise it makes when it turns, also mind that it's in neutral.

I was able to get most of it done however, and even had supervisors that watched/listened to me cuss at the transmission, or some random bolt/nut.

Was also able to get it off the ramps (Can't wait for the stance it'll have with the 2" leveling kit)

And a candid during a quick break.

Old 07-20-2012, 12:49 AM
Maverick1978
More Turbo
well better luck next time

Old 07-20-2012, 08:09 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Good luck on the top two bellhousing bolts. The ones on my 97 were so galled that I had to use an open end wrench and a 2# hammer to get them out.

The weird thing is that there is no way to get to them from underneath the truck.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:42 PM
carolinaranger90
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bremen242
Good luck on the top two bellhousing bolts. The ones on my 97 were so galled that I had to use an open end wrench and a 2# hammer to get them out.

The weird thing is that there is no way to get to them from underneath the truck.
If you pull the carpet up, you can pull the trans hump off, and access them from the top.

I posted a video earlier this thread, where I show that.

I will take a picture here in a few (it's raining, no work on the truck today) and post it in case some people can't see the video.

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 PM
bremen242
Postmaster
Originally Posted by carolinaranger90
If you pull the carpet up, you can pull the trans hump off, and access them from the top.

I posted a video earlier this thread, where I show that.

I will take a picture here in a few (it's raining, no work on the truck today) and post it in case some people can't see the video.
ah.. I didn't realize that those pics linked to videos.

I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to pull the tranny. I pulled the motor on my '97, and I had the upper and lower intake off of the old motor. It was fun aligning the torque converter with the flywheel.

Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Xclimation
Senior User
On most of our trucks, we don't have a removable hump plate. I cut a hole in mine to gain easy access the the upper bell housing bolts, and transmission lines. I patched the hole with an old license plate.

If you don't want to cut a hole, then you can get to those bolts with extensions on your ratchet.

Quick Reply: Transmission: Auto to Manual Swap 92-97 F-Series