1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Help needed to value 57 F100 in Seattle area

Old 07-10-2012, 02:21 AM
Anjin
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help needed to value 57 F100 in Seattle area

I am working out a complex trade that includes as 1957 Ford F100. Its been repowered, and has some other upgrades etc. The owner wants to impress upon ne a value that includes personal attachment, so I am looking for an unbiased but knowledgeable person to help me fairly value the old girl as she sits in the Seattle area.

I don't mind tossing a few bucks or a cluster of brews for the help. I will also be bugging everyone as I learn more about the 57 and start taking on the work to take 'Betty' to the next level.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

Cheers
Anjin

Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
Sounds like a possible field trip.(aka a diversion) Read my post about a front clip. It may work out that you could pick me up at Swedish Hospital some afternoon later this week, and we could go take a look at it. I have 40 years experience with old fords, maybe not the value part, but know what to look for. As things are a bit uncertain here, it might not work out for sure. Also, I'm kind of a lightweight in the beer dept, so maybe we better split the 6 pack. Oh and welcome to the world of the fridge truck. Gary

Old 07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
arctic y block
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76f350spercamprspeal

Welcome to FTE, Best Damn Forum EVER!
------------------------
Here's How to Post Pictures:
1. Login to FTE.
2.Click User CP (In the Top Left Hand Corner)
3.(On the Left, There will be a list, The 5th Option Down, will say "Pictures & Albums) Click That.
4.Then, Click Add Album, Enter a title, and description, if ya want to.
5. Click Upload Pictures, Then click Browse, Locate the Files of your truck. (You can add 3 files at a time)
5. Click Upload.
6. Add a description to the individual pictures, then click save.
7. Add more files if ya want.
8. Click The Picture you want to post, it will give you two codes at the bottom, Right Click The Second one (It say's BB Code, Then Say's [IMG]http:blahblahblah...[/IMG])
Then, Once that is highlighted, Right Click, Then Copy, Then Paste it into your post.
You can add up to 30 Images in one FTE Post.
If, Ya need any help, Don't hesitate to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_dan

You can also go to the "Garage" tab and start an album right here on FTE. After you post pictures to an album, we can look in your album, but you'll also be able to "insert a picture" by pasting in a link to the picture in your album.

It seems awkward, but whenever you "insert a picture" to one of these threads, the forum is looking for the picture somewhere on the web (which is always available) rather than from somewhere on your hard drive (which isn't always available).

Quote:
Originally Posted By Jolly Roger Joe

Welcome to FTE!

Go to Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket and sign up for a free account. Then create an album for your truck. Upload any pics you want to post on FTE to that album. Have this album open on your computer when you want to post pics on FTE.

While you're making a post on FTE, select the pic you want to post from your Photobucket album. When the large version of the pic is open, right mouse click on it and select "View Image Info". The image info will be highlighted and will look something like this:
http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/l...ghtsafter1.jpg

Copy that highlighted info (right click / copy).

When you have the spot in your post where you want the pic to be placed, select the "Insert Image" icon at the top of the post (looks like a mountain) and paste (right click / paste) the image info you copied in the highlighted box (just shows "http://" when it opens).

Your pic will be placed in the post.

Hope that helps.

Here's a tutorial Bob put together: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/67...-pictures.html

Old 07-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Anjin
New User
Ok, I took a slew of photos from all kinds of angles, under the hood, backend, etc.

1957 Ford F100 - Imgur

This 57 Ford F100 has been repowered with a 400M-2V motor and a C6 auto. I do not have many details on the repower, but it does start easy and runs very well. No smoke, knocks, or stalling. Just purrs and seems fairly reliable from that end. It also has an obvious aftermarket power steering mod. This is assumed because of the big torch cut hole in the engine bay that allows the power steering unit to fit.

One big issue is that there is so much play in that steering that its almost scary to drive. Was advertised to me as a 'daily driver', but the steering is so loose as to be unsafe. Guy who is offering it in a barter deal swears up and down that the only thing wrong is the draglink needs replaced... As well, has stated that he will do that work as part of our deal.

There is a fair bit of rust, as noted in some of the photos. But nothing crazy bad. Body is straight and most of the trim bits and pieces are there. Some minor dings here and there, but nothing crazy. All to my eye pretty easy stuff.

The 4 wheels are all missing one lug nut and post, which seems a bit strange. I could see just one missing or the like, but to have one missing on each wheel? Wheels are old school Mag Wheels, and the rubber is in good shape. Previous Owner is quick to exclaim that those wheels and rubbers are worth at least a thousand bucks! But this would be why I am looking for help in valuing the old girl, as everyone thinks their stuff is the most awesome ever. I would rather get an unbiased opinion from a subject expert then muddle the value with personal bias.

Lights work, turn signals, cabin light, etc. Seat shows its age, but is in fair condition. Gas tank is solid without leaks, gas gauge works. Dash board details are intact, although some of the controls are borked, like the Left and Right air controls. The parking break handle just pulls right on out of the dash, and is not connected to anything.

Let me know if anyone has questions. I am looking for a basic value, even a range would do. While the deal is barter based, I need to be educated on the dollar values for best comparisons.

Anything I should be looking for? Gotchas that are common?

Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided. I must admit that I am pretty excited by the idea of this as a project. Am more likely to go custom ratrod style then a full on restore.

Cheers
Anjin

Old 07-10-2012, 09:38 PM
Anjin
New User
Gary,

I have the truck at my place in Bothell area now. While the owner claims shes a daily driver, the steering is so loose that it gives me a sweat driving it in an urban setting. Perhaps we can arrange a time and I will give it a shot at driving to you. You can email me directly and we can work out the details. I work downtown, live in Bothell, and Swedish is mostly inbetween I dont drink at all, but could buy you some lunch or the like, and you can fill me in on whats to love about these old 'orphans'. Just figured out why folks call them a fridge today! I took a bunch of pics today and stuck them up at

1957 Ford F100 - Imgur

Cheers
Anjin

Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 PM
RUN4CVR
Junior User
Hi Anjin so did you buy the 57 yes its rusty but I also saw on the rear spring hangers (to lower it)the owner cut the rivets and moved the hanger up on the fram and just welded the hanger back to the frame kind of scary not much contact with half the hanger above the frame rail. Also the drag link looks like a couple of tie rods welded together so replacement parts would be hard to find would need fabricated. I would say just because its a runner but looking at the rust value wise maybe 1500 - 1700 (just my opinion) the wheels are not worth a 1000.00
I bought this 58 for 700.00 less than 2 years ago not running the owner wanted 200.00 for the wheels you see. I told him to keep them and this truck had very little rust mainly the fron cab mounts

Hope this helps
Jeff

Old 07-10-2012, 10:49 PM
frankcowan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Anjin
... I am looking for a basic value, even a range would do. While the deal is barter based, I need to be educated on the dollar values for best comparisons.

Cheers
Anjin
If the engine is not a fresh rebuild, just a swap in...
... based on what they are currently selling for on Craigslist. I'd say between 1600 and 2500. But honestly value is measured by what YOU think it is worth. good luck.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Anjin
New User
Thanks guys, this agrees with my own assessment. My wife as well. We both looked it over top to bottom and came to a 1500~2000 value. The owner thinks its more like 6 or 7000... And to my eye, I just do not see that kinda value in her at all. But to be fair to him, and to give the trade the best possible chances, I wanted to get as many opinions as I can. I know its hard to judge from pictures alone, but all the information I can get is helpful. I never noticed that the hangers were just welded on, but now that its been pointed out, I can clearly see the old bolt/rivet holes, and the way they were just welded back. I had noted that on both sides, the rear leafs were rubbing thru the bed. Can be seen in

1957 Ford F100 - Imgur

fairly clearly. Lots of rust as well that will need a lot of cutting and patching to clean up. And based on the way the motor looks, I feel its just a junk yard pull on the repower, but I havnt gotten the data from him yet on that.

Thanks again to those that have pitched in, please let me know if there is anything else I can pull for information as well. And keep tossing in the crazy bits of data like the info on the hangers! The more I know, the better I can deal. I am most likely gonna end up with this Ford in my garage as a project, but the information gives me the ammo to keep the deal reasonable and keep the wife from feeling im too much of an idiot

Cheers
Anjin

Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The owner is on drugs. I would have said in the $1500 range too. It has rust issues but most of us are dealing with about the same. The inside of the bed is decent. I see a lot of sloppy work, like the scabbed together drag link, plus it has one of the least desirable Ford engines. Also when I see those blue scotch locks in the wiring, I see a red flag on anything that person wired in.
I.d look up several that have sold on ebay, not what they are asking but completed items, then armed with good information on fair value, go back and ask him what he has to base his value on, hopefully not the 70s Galaxy he parted out to get the engine, brake pedal and steering wheel from.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
RUN4CVR
Junior User
Anjin if your close to this 1959 F100 ( its in Ellensburg) I would look at this one instead at least to compare

1959 Ford Stepside Shortbox

Jeff

Old 07-11-2012, 04:33 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im in the area and can come give it a look over if you want...Im into 61-66 but am very familiar with Fords...cars as well as trucks...

Let me know...

- cs65

Old 07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Anjin if your close to this 1959 F100 ( its in Ellensburg) I would look at this one instead at least to compare

1959 Ford Stepside Shortbox

Jeff
Worth taking a look. 12 Volt conversion kind of sets off a red flag about the owners knowledge tho. At least you can see what kind of work has been done. I'd want the machine shop paper work on the engine.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:33 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 582 Likes on 522 Posts
Sounds like you already have enough info and opinions but thought I would offer mine. The first thing that really jumps out at me is how someone has spray painted the back end of the box without even removing the tail light lens. Sort of looks like, well, I just had a few beers, let's go work on the truck! Of course there are worse details but you don't really have to look much deeper than that! If you are serious about this truck, you will end up with much more work than you might think. You not only have to take care of the hard stuff that hasn't been done but redo mostly what has been done. The truck does look decent from a distance though. I wonder what the floor and cab supports are like with the holes thru the inner fenders!

Old 07-11-2012, 06:27 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 47 Posts
I like the Ellensburg cl one way better! Doesn't look too easy for me to get away. She's doing well, but after what she just went through, well is a relative term. Sounds like camperspecial can spell me this time. Thanks. Gary

Old 07-11-2012, 11:45 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,417 Likes on 1,374 Posts
My 2c, fwiw, is that truck is unsafe at any speed. $1000 would be generous. There's way too much work that needs to be redone properly to justify any kind of real value. Unless you really want a project like that, and can get it cheap enough where you feel good about the deal, I'd move on to greener pastures. When the stuff you can see looks that bad, you may not want to know what the hidden stuff looks like.

If you don't mind a short drive, this could be yours...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/3079311635.html

or this...

http://kpr.craigslist.org/pts/3004077294.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help needed to value 57 F100 in Seattle area