Off Road Airing down questions. - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Off Road Airing down questions.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 AM
kobaltblue
Elder User
kobaltblue is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
SWEET Wow I'm jealous...Havent been in dirt for 8 years! No trails to ride on where I live now...But one of these days I'm going to build another trail rig and head to North Alabama and Tennessee Im Jonsion for some dirt!

As for air bags I have no idea how they would work if you lost one one the trail could be really bad...I liked to keep it simple.

Old 07-16-2012, 03:19 AM
SnuffthePunkz
Posting Guru
SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
The air bags would be more for when I work/tow with the truck to firm it up as needed, but having the option to add a inch or two of clearance to improve approach and departure angles when needed definitely would not hurt. As my buddy and I demonstrate on a decommissioned road.
<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/10151261289830830" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/10151261289830830" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="266"></embed>

Today ended up in a gong show it was supposed to be low key chilling at a lake, but we found a forest service road, got turned around and ended up in a protected watershed on what most would refer to as a walking trail... Whoops...

Found this sweet quarry area to get some good flexing done, hopped out of the truck and nearly twisted my ankle. Bottom of the cab on the driver side was at my waist level. Now I know how Oreo feels.

Still not quite sure what she was doing with her arms or face, but she was impressed and wanted to be in the photo, lol. Dana 50 and all!

And my friends made sure to capture my shoveling on Saturday.

Also this hill climb video, kinda a blooper at the end, may not have seen the hole lol.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2nWwnhYWp0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o2nWwnhYWp0?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>

Old 07-16-2012, 10:47 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
86sixbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think you need to lift your truck. My truck's no wheeler but I like the additional ground clearance in such a long *** truck, I don't have to worry about crawling over chit like before. Plus, even with a rough country kit, which are known for bad ride quality, my rig rides better than it did stock. If you had the money for something with higher quality springs and shocks you might get some improvement in the way your truck handles those rocky roads...

Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
86sixbanger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Oh yeah and you won't want bags aired up for additional height while wheelin, it will make the ride very stiff

Old 07-16-2012, 11:12 PM
SnuffthePunkz
Posting Guru
I'm aware it rides a little low for what I do, and a shackle reversal kit is on the list of things to come. The 3" kit and a set of 35's gives me the stance I like. I already have the 4.10 gearing to run the tires when I upgrade, and I'm going to fab up heavy duty drop bracket for the axle.

The airbags would only be used when needed when off road for deep holes, water crossings, high centering, etc. Drop the air back out after the obstacle is cleared.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:39 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Post Fiend
hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.hairyboxnoogle has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SnuffthePunkz View Post
For reference what size tires do you run? Mine are 2-3 side ply as well.
And how is your suspension? I have next to no give when empty, reminds me of a bike without suspension, though when loaded to the **** the back rides damn near a Cadillac.
35-12.50-17 Toyo MTs, Front im running SD springs with my bottom factory spring under em, rear is stock 79 F-350 stuff with shackle flip, gets bouncy on big bumps but rides real nice, dont even feel washboard.

As for the ride in yours, ditch the TTB and drop in some SD springs.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:44 AM
SnuffthePunkz
Posting Guru
I have been tossing around the idea of SD springs, but it is a lot of money to drop when so few people I know have actually done it.

The argument for a Dana 60 has been made, and in a perfect world I think it would be fun, but the drive train/axles of this truck are due to end up in a bronco in like a year or so, and that is going to be an expedition vehicle for heading out into the bush for weeks at a time. A coil over conversion on a Dana 50 will give me greater mobility in the terrain that I face up north here as apposed to a solid axle setup. I love the Dana 60, and the truck that I use as my DD that replaces my current rig will have one. For this application it doesn't quite fit the bill as more often than not I end up in some interesting flex positions where I need both front wheels on the ground, instead of one way up in the air.