Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Single Shot Sticks - Share Stories!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Single Shot Sticks - Share Stories!

Say that three times fast without spitting on somebody.

I'm injector shopping and I want to know what happens with single-shots. Here's your 15 minutes of fame!
  • Smoke - white, black, blue, polkadot?
  • Idle smootheness?
  • Economy change?
  • Performance change (including EGTs)?
  • Which tuner and what were the results?
  • Anything of concern not listed here?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
UcaN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing.... i'm in the same boat as you are.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:40 PM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run single shot stage 1's from Casserly

I have no white smoke at start up, or any other time for that matter. I obviously can roll coal when I want to, but that credit goes to Jody at DP tuner

I definitely noticed a difference in the idle and the sound, but it doesn't idle rough or anything. Added an FRX and HPX from Clay and it quieted back up some.

I can't comment on economy really because I had bad injectors before I made the swap, so my mileage was in the toilet then. I'm getting around 13-14mpg on highway (hand calculated) now. Take into consideration that's running on 37X13.50's and not driving like a grandma

So far, very happy with the results I got from my ss injectors. Along with all the RiffRaff bling under the hood, she runs great!

Now time to save the coin up to give that John Woods guy a call so I can really take advantage of and lay down that power.

Good Luck!

Old 07-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 277 Likes on 140 Posts
I also run Casserly Stage I's, this guy has awesome customer service and will take care of you should you run into an issue.

Smoke - Not as much as one would think. (depending on who writes your tunes of course) While the additional mods on my truck may play into this, at WOT the truck doesn't belch out as much black smoke as before and REALLY goes now. People on this very forum suggested that I wouldn't like Stage I's with the stock turbo (suggested a 38r), but it scares me good sometimes with how fast it moves. That's only in the econo tune, I don't dare go to the "Street Muscle" or "All Out" tunes unless it's absolutely necessary.

Idle smootheness- Much smoother than stock, but then again my injectors were worn and had about 300(something) thousand miles on them when I went to Stage I's.

Economy change-With my stock, worn out sticks I hardly got over 14-15 mpg; even with the mods in my sig and the DP-Tuner. With the Stage I's and Gearhead tuning, I get anywhere from 15 mpg to almost 19 mpg easily. It just depends on how much I played during the previous tank.

Performance change (including EGTs)- Don't know about the EGTs, but the truck REALLY runs and GOES when I mash the skinny pedal. People sometimes stare in shock that something that huge could go that fast, that quickly.

Which tuner and what were the results? I initially had the DP F5 then F6, but when Jody re-burned my chip for the tunes, the truck just wouldn't shift like it did with my splits, otherwise the truck ran good. Between myself and Jody, we'd spent alot of time investigating the issue, but never could sort out what the problem was. If Jody was right in my backyard, the problem could have easily been solved.

Matt of Gearhead Performance was just in College Station and only 1.5 hours away from me. So to make a long story short, his tunes are what I run. As I mentioned above, I can't remember the last time I ventured from his Econo tune and went to his "Street Muscle" and "All-Out" tune. His tunes will deliver some serious "press you into your seat" power, while producing very little smoke, and delivering good fuel economy.

Anything of concern not listed here?

-If you haven't already, I would suggest getting Clay's Gen 2 FRx to make sure air never sees those injectors and make sure they're getting the fuel and fuel pressure they're asking for at all times.

-If you plan on running the stock pump, get the Hpx. If you're running the T500 or T1000, you won't need the Hpx.

-Above all, make sure to take your time and do it right the first time. Some of my injectors weren't fully seated and caused a serious smoke problem at idle and while driving down the road. Make sure they're all fully seated and torqued down properly.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:17 PM
lalh20
Freshman User
My experience is diff than the other posts. Also using casserly reman single shots. Currently fighting and troubleshooting a rough idle and white smoke at idle that appeared with the injectors. hopefully it's a single injector causing my problem. I know I'm not the only person who says their single shots really changed their idle though.

Using TW tunes.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Well Tugly I think you pretty much know my story...I'm gonna share it again anyway.

Went with Stage 1's from Casserly. I did injectors, glow plugs, CCV mod, DP-Tuner, gauges, oil cooler rebuild, and switched coolant to ELC all at the same time so some of the differences are hard to point to just the injectors.

Smoke - I had white smoke before the injectors but none after injectors. I had no black smoke before the injectors but lots after the injectors. A new 4" exhaust brought my black smoke back down to acceptable levels.

Idle - The idle seems just as smooth as before. I would say it is louder. I notice I need the drive-thru tune because I cannot hear the speaker at the drive-thru and they cannot hear me.

Economy - I have not had a lot of chance to test economy. The one test I did was highway and I got 17 mpg @ 65 mph. I also got 17 mpg @ 70 mph which before the injectors I would get 16 mpg @ 70 mph.

Performance - WOW, its a whole new truck. My truck is now the truck I always wanted. I have only switched off of 80e a few times. In 20tow I can get a little black smoke and decent power. In stock it feels...well, stock. I think there is just a hint of extra power in stock, but the transmission shifts better with the DP in stock.

I had some turbo surge before all this but now it is getting really bad. I need to decide if I am going to band-aid the problem with a new housing or go all out on a new turbo. My only other concern is for my poor transmission. It has never seen this much beating in its life.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:24 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
same boat Tug. I want some single shots to cure my split shot polkadot smoke...

Old 07-11-2012, 12:27 AM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Oh I forgot to mention I do have polkadot smoke. When I drive down a gravel road there is tan road dust and if I step on it then I get a nice black and tan plume behind the truck.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:50 AM
riverrat41
Postmaster

We installed these new single shots in mine a few months back and I have no regrets.I do not have any issues that was mentioned above.David reburned my chip beings I bought the sticks from him.I like his tunes as well.

International HO Peformance Injectors

Old 07-11-2012, 09:10 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's my setup in a nutshell: Full Force Diesel (Casserly) 250cc hybrids with 200% nozzles. 38r turbo, 6.0L intercooler, stock 17 degree HPOP, fuel bowl delete and Walbro fuel pump, AFE Stage II, MBRP 4" exhaust, BTS, 6" lift, 36" tires, 4:30 gears.

Smoke - white, black, blue, polkadot? Slight bit more white smoke haze on cold winter starts. Not a big difference between these and stock injectors, but just enough to notice. Black smoke is almost identical to stock injectors running very clean tunes. However I can open up the fueling and dump way more smoke.... if I wanted.

Idle smootheness? Took me a while, but now it's about as smooth as stock. Sounds like singles though, there is a difference in idle tone, so it sounds more like an OBS truck at idle.

Economy change? No difference. Still getting the same fuel economy as I always have. Mix city/hwy in summer is around 16 mpg's.

Performance change (including EGTs)? Gained 100+ hp, still limiting the fuel way back from what they are actually capable of producing (PMR motor). EGT's are lower across the board, especially apparent when towing. My "stock" tune (I used it for emissions testing) peaks a just over 900 degrees at WOT. My daily driver tune (puts out the same exact power as a full bore race tune on stock injectors) peaks at just over 1100 degrees at WOT. As a comparison, my last race tune on stock injectors would creep up to just over 1300 degrees on a WOT run, and that's with all the other mods listed being exactly identical.

Which tuner and what were the results? My own tuning using Minotaur. LOTS of trial and error, and LOTS of bugging Bill and a few other folks.

Anything of concern not listed here? Yeah, I have a boost leak now that I need to fix. One of my CAC boots started splitting.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM
whitesdford
Elder User
Originally Posted by Tugly
Say that three times fast without spitting on somebody.

I'm injector shopping and I want to know what happens with single-shots. Here's your 15 minutes of fame!
  • Smoke - white, black, blue, polkadot?
  • Idle smootheness?
  • Economy change?
  • Performance change (including EGTs)?
  • Which tuner and what were the results?
  • Anything of concern not listed here?

Smoke, little white smoke on start up. But nothing to crazy. If needed, you can turn the world behind you a really dark shade of black.

Idle, when I got my sticks put in, I had a dp tuner put in too. MY idle is off. It goes up and down in a cycle if you let is sit for a minute or two. Im thinking I have an IPC issue here. Other than that, smooth idle

Economy.....on the factory sticks, and being a dually with low gears, 15 on the highway was about it. With the new sticks and new tunes, Id say thats about where it is running also.

Huge performance change. Truck will go when you push on the small pedal. One thing that was so obvious when I did the bigger injectors, is the stock turbo stands out as even more of a piece of crap now. It is so easy to chirp this thing. I can peg my EGT's without even thinking about it. Living at 5k altitude, the air is a little thin. I can get so much more fuel into the engine, the stock turbo cant keep up with the airflow needed. Looking back, Id say if you are going to do larger sticks, a new 38r turbo or the like is almost required to take full advantage of the new injectors.

Ive got jodys f5 chip. stock, 20 tow, the back pressure thing, 80e, and 120. I cant use the 120, as again, stock turbo cant bring much to the party. 80e will still work the stock turbo to death. No change in power from the 80e to the 120. If I had a bigger turbo, Im sure that 120 tune would be super fun!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:03 AM
PaysonPSD
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Here is some injector info written up by Bill Cohron of PHP.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Injector Info From PHP.pdf (17.1 KB, 464 views)
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM
VegasFordSD
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by whitesdford
Smoke, little white smoke on start up. But nothing to crazy. If needed, you can turn the world behind you a really dark shade of black.

Idle, when I got my sticks put in, I had a dp tuner put in too. MY idle is off. It goes up and down in a cycle if you let is sit for a minute or two. Im thinking I have an IPC issue here. Other than that, smooth idle

Economy.....on the factory sticks, and being a dually with low gears, 15 on the highway was about it. With the new sticks and new tunes, Id say thats about where it is running also.

Huge performance change. Truck will go when you push on the small pedal. One thing that was so obvious when I did the bigger injectors, is the stock turbo stands out as even more of a piece of crap now. It is so easy to chirp this thing. I can peg my EGT's without even thinking about it. Living at 5k altitude, the air is a little thin. I can get so much more fuel into the engine, the stock turbo cant keep up with the airflow needed. Looking back, Id say if you are going to do larger sticks, a new 38r turbo or the like is almost required to take full advantage of the new injectors.

Ive got jodys f5 chip. stock, 20 tow, the back pressure thing, 80e, and 120. I cant use the 120, as again, stock turbo cant bring much to the party. 80e will still work the stock turbo to death. No change in power from the 80e to the 120. If I had a bigger turbo, Im sure that 120 tune would be super fun!
Why is that? I run just fine in the 120 setting from Jody. I am in 80e most of the time but have no problems haulin the mail in my 120 race tune. Only reason I can't run the 120 now is because I'm afraid im about to drop the guts of my trans all over the street if I do. As soon as I get my JW in, I'm sure I will be spending extra in fuel for the first month or two, running around in my 120 race tune

Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 PM
sledhead999
Elder User
Originally Posted by Pocket
Here's my setup in a nutshell: Full Force Diesel (Casserly) 250cc hybrids with 200% nozzles. 38r turbo, 6.0L intercooler, stock 17 degree HPOP, fuel bowl delete and Walbro fuel pump, AFE Stage II, MBRP 4" exhaust, BTS, 6" lift, 36" tires, 4:30 gears.

Smoke - white, black, blue, polkadot? Slight bit more white smoke haze on cold winter starts. Not a big difference between these and stock injectors, but just enough to notice. Black smoke is almost identical to stock injectors running very clean tunes. However I can open up the fueling and dump way more smoke.... if I wanted.

Idle smootheness? Took me a while, but now it's about as smooth as stock. Sounds like singles though, there is a difference in idle tone, so it sounds more like an OBS truck at idle.

Economy change? No difference. Still getting the same fuel economy as I always have. Mix city/hwy in summer is around 16 mpg's.

Performance change (including EGTs)? Gained 100+ hp, still limiting the fuel way back from what they are actually capable of producing (PMR motor). EGT's are lower across the board, especially apparent when towing. My "stock" tune (I used it for emissions testing) peaks a just over 900 degrees at WOT. My daily driver tune (puts out the same exact power as a full bore race tune on stock injectors) peaks at just over 1100 degrees at WOT. As a comparison, my last race tune on stock injectors would creep up to just over 1300 degrees on a WOT run, and that's with all the other mods listed being exactly identical.

Which tuner and what were the results? My own tuning using Minotaur. LOTS of trial and error, and LOTS of bugging Bill and a few other folks.

Anything of concern not listed here? Yeah, I have a boost leak now that I need to fix. One of my CAC boots started splitting.
That was gonna be my question. Our area is going to start doing testing. I was gonna ask if they could be dialed back enough to pass.

Thinking about doing the 238cc's...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sledhead999
That was gonna be my question. Our area is going to start doing testing. I was gonna ask if they could be dialed back enough to pass.

Thinking about doing the 238cc's...
My opacity numbers were nearly identical on these injectors as they were with stock injectors and stock tuning.

So yes, as long as the tuning is dialed in, there shouldn't be any problem at all.

Quick Reply: Single Shot Sticks - Share Stories!