6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

The 6.4L and B6-20 biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 01:35 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bubbasz1
LOL, my three dogs like french fries, just imagine if you got your waste oil from KFC.
That's hilarious! Funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm..

Well seems Ford wonders if you use Bio-Willie also..

From Personalized Vehicle Owner Information

"Tell us about your driving habits so we can better estimate your maintenance schedule".

Option # 4
"Use of Biodiesel fuel up to and including 5% (B5)"

Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RM2738
That's hilarious! Funniest thing I've heard in a long time.

Couldn't help myself.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Snipe300
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using B20

I just took a 3000 plus mileage trip towing my 27’ traveltrailer. Went from New Jersey to Oklahoma, then down to Texas and back via Tennessee. Had to use B-20 or what ever the mix was afew time, did notice my temp a little higher and fuel MPG down. Also noticedthat my exhaust system was cleaning it self more. Other than that, it ran like a kitten. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 07-28-2013, 10:30 AM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Awhile back I was running 100 percent Bio diesel, at the time was making my own probable ran over a 1000 gals thru my truck and over 2500 gals thru my cat equipment with no bad effects. The only issue we had was fuel filters. We went thru a large amount of filters when I first started using it. I believe it was the solvent characteristic of the fuel cleaning the systems out. After a month the filter issue went away. At the time I was tuned and had the DPF off so it’s not a good comparison for someone looking to do this with a stock truck. Hers some info

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-on-b100.html

My business was slow and i had time to collect oil and make it, as soon as work picked up i just didnt have the time to mess with it. One of those deals where at the time i had more time then money and it was well worth it.

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Truck has over a 100,000 miles now and haven’t had one fuel system issue, and my wife accidently put 15 gals of gas in the truck once drove 20 miles and called me saying the truck sounded funny.........I was probably lucky but at any rate I have had very good luck with the fuel system and have had zero of the issue hovering around the alleged fragile fuel system many claim the 6.4 to have.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:55 PM
auriferous
Senior User

Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
Awhile back I was running 100 percent Bio diesel, at the time was making my own probable ran over a 1000 gals thru my truck and over 2500 gals thru my cat equipment with no bad effects. The only issue we had was fuel filters. We went thru a large amount of filters when I first started using it. I believe it was the solvent characteristic of the fuel cleaning the systems out. After a month the filter issue went away. At the time I was tuned and had the DPF off so it’s not a good comparison for someone looking to do this with a stock truck. Hers some info

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-on-b100.html

My business was slow and i had time to collect oil and make it, as soon as work picked up i just didnt have the time to mess with it. One of those deals where at the time i had more time then money and it was well worth it.

<style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Cambria; panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:auto; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:3 0 0 0 1 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:Cambria; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> Truck has over a 100,000 miles now and haven’t had one fuel system issue, and my wife accidently put 15 gals of gas in the truck once drove 20 miles and called me saying the truck sounded funny.........I was probably lucky but at any rate I have had very good luck with the fuel system and have had zero of the issue hovering around the alleged fragile fuel system many claim the 6.4 to have.
Well that is good news (the gasoline story too) almost put the bio in one time and am sure it will be the only choice at some trip eventually so glad to hear it is not exactly catastrophic!

Old 08-05-2013, 11:37 AM
sdcowman
New User
I believe the mandate for Minnesota is 5% soydiesel and I have zero concerns running the stuff.....matter of fact I prefer it as tests show the lubrucity is way way up over normal low surfur fuel , and it seems to me that is our main worry with these touchy 6.4 fuel systems

My fuel supplies for the farm are delivered out of Minnesota so I am running all soydiesel in my equipment, several tractors , combine , windrower and such , all of these engines are 15 to over 30 years old.......I have zero problems with gaskets or seals and have seldom to service injector pumps or injectors

as far as I am concerned , the soydiesel is a good product.....

Old 08-05-2013, 02:05 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by sdcowman
I believe the mandate for Minnesota is 5% soydiesel and I have zero concerns running the stuff.....matter of fact I prefer it as tests show the lubrucity is way way up over normal low surfur fuel , and it seems to me that is our main worry with these touchy 6.4 fuel systems

My fuel supplies for the farm are delivered out of Minnesota so I am running all soydiesel in my equipment, several tractors , combine , windrower and such , all of these engines are 15 to over 30 years old.......I have zero problems with gaskets or seals and have seldom to service injector pumps or injectors

as far as I am concerned , the soydiesel is a good product.....
Hmmmm, OK. i know the soy farmers are loving this as the corn farmers are loving ethanol. The Minnesota law passed in 2011 mandates all diesel fuel sellers to sell 20% bio, B20. it was to begin on last July 1 but was pushed back because of the lack of quality B20. I don't know what's happened since last year but I'm headed that way and will know more in a few weeks.

The issue is not 20 year old diesel machines which were as you probably know, built to a much higher quality and looser tolerances than the government mandated products of today; the problem is with the 08 to 10 fords, chevys and dodges and all pre-2012 VW diesels which are designed to use no more than 5% bio, B5. And, you are doing what the rest of us are, using whatever they sell because we have no choice.

All we can do is make all owners aware. i started this thread as a public service after the service manager in michigan told me all about the evils of B6 and above. It was just to alert everyone to the situation.

Old 08-05-2013, 03:36 PM
sdcowman
New User
Stanley......here is a link to a lubricity study comparing several of the common diesel additives along with soydiesel........Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

If you get thru it , it shows that soydiesel lubricity is much superior to any of the common additives you can buy....frankly , I don't believe any manufacturer that claims a limited percent of soydiesel will harm your engine....I've burned too much of it in my own equipment ; and yes the old injector pumps are much less fussy that these new common rail systems , but if the soy was bad for gaskets and seals I'm quite sure that those of us running soy in old equipment would be seeing problems

bio fuel made out of used cooking oil or other junk I have no knowledge of and would be suspicious of myself , but don't believe I have ever run into any of that stuff

as far as bean farmers loving soydiesel ; really the effect of fuel use on the bean market is really quite miniscule at this time , but I really like the B5 I pump into my 6.4 that I get in Minnesota for the lubricity and I have racked up some of my best milege figures when I filled in Mn ( such as it is)

Old 07-29-2016, 07:06 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
well, its been 3 years, aside from the initial fuel filter swaps needed at the beginning of using b5 and above, anyone blow their fuel system up due to running pump grade b6 thru b20?

Old 07-30-2016, 10:09 AM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
well, its been 3 years, aside from the initial fuel filter swaps needed at the beginning of using b5 and above, anyone blow their fuel system up due to running pump grade b6 thru b20?
I run pump B-50 to B-80 depending on how often I can get to the pump, I buy Commercial B-99 made by Newport Biodiesel and buy it in Rhode Island at T.H Malloy. I mix accordingly and have been doing so for 4+ years with no issues, when the weather gets cold I actually stop using Bio even though they say I could run B-5 with no issues but Im not willing to run my hpfp dry in a gel up situation....I run Optilube XPD in every taken of fuel year round.

Old 07-30-2016, 11:46 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
IDK of any. A drunk old woman wiped out my truck and I changed to a 6.7L. That is a good question though. The real question might be how the engines with high mileage hold up using the B6. Anybody have that experience. I'm talking trucks with 200,000 plus. Lots of 7.3s and even 6.0s in that category. So who has a 200,000 mile 6.4L that used B6 or above on a regular basis?