Choosing a truck for RVing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 11:58 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Choosing a truck for RVing

Many times I have seen posts about whether one truck or another can handle a fairly large travel trailer or fifth wheel. The question posed most often comes from someone who already owns or has just purchased a truck and not is not sure of the truck's ability to safely handle a given weight towable. So far I have never seen anyone post asking if their truck was too large for a given camper and wanted to share a thought about RVing.

It is statistically uncommon for a person who purchases an RV to own only one and, far and away, the majority of owners go progressively larger with camper size with each purchase. It might be helpful if folks who are just starting out and trying to decide on a truck, think in terms of towing quite a bit more weight than they initially have in mind. It is hard to have too much truck, but it is not too hard to have too little.

Just a thought,

Steve

Old 07-09-2012, 12:28 PM
quigley513
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Many times I have seen posts about whether one truck or another can handle a fairly large travel trailer or fifth wheel. The question posed most often comes from someone who already owns or has just purchased a truck and not is not sure of the truck's ability to safely handle a given weight towable. So far I have never seen anyone post asking if their truck was too large for a given camper and wanted to share a thought about RVing.

It is statistically uncommon for a person who purchases an RV to own only one and, far and away, the majority of owners go progressively larger with camper size with each purchase. It might be helpful if folks who are just starting out and trying to decide on a truck, think in terms of towing quite a bit more weight than they initially have in mind. It is hard to have too much truck, but it is not too hard to have too little.

Just a thought,

Steve
This is a great point and one all prospective RVers should take note of. Often there are the most detailed evaluations of the load and supplies and the luggage and passengers and the curb weight of the RV and all to see if the towing capacity of the tow rig is narrowly on the safe side.

In my experience, a significant margin of excess capacity is a really good thing. Towing a 12,000# load with a vehicle rated for 16,000# is about the right margin for my preference. And, if the budget doesn't permit it, I'd say cut back on the RV. Two feet shorter, less amenities, a year older or whatnot, so that the crisis point is not the marginal adequacy of the tow rig. You will not enjoy that outside swing out 50" LCD TV sitting on the side of the road with an overtaxed tow rig. that's for sure.

Old 07-10-2012, 01:22 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good post...and I agree. Get more truck than you need for your trailer of choice, or cut back on the trailer size. Safety first.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:44 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Lets look at it this way...go shopping for the perfect camper or 5er...dream a little...see what you would like and then get the truck for the job.

good topic

Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM
Gearitis
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everything you all have said. The problem that I see lies within educating people. Most people on the other boards have the same thought process as we do here. But what we see are the newbies that listen to the sales rep that has never driven or pulled an RV. Or these people drive or pull 1 time a year and park it. Go to an RV show and the sales reps are NOT held accountable for what they say to prospective buyers. They will say anything to get you sign on that dotted line and I know its their job but still the level these folks tell untruths are appaulling.
I hate to say this, but there are also people, and in my experience, they are most elderly, that buy this gigantic Moble Suites, pulling it with a 250 and really need a 450 or 550 in front of that rig. They want one of those "really nice with all ammenities" rigs and then skimp on the TV. I have seen this more times that I can count up in the Salida, Buena Vista CO area over the years. You can ask my wife this, I always ask them, "when are you headed down the mountain?". I will and have either waited or made sure I was ahead of them.

Old 07-12-2012, 06:52 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You want to be in front so you can slow them down with your rig when their's gets away from them ?!?

Agree - good points all -
Now that I know and have weighed everything, I too am going on a diet thanks to the rv dealers "Oh it will pull anything on the lot"
even got the wife to understand she doesn't NEED every kitchen utensil in the house every camping trip

Yes, it will pull it, and a lot more, but handling, stopping, longevity, comfort, etc... those things count for something !

rebalancing the load and going on a diet for me should do it, but on some forums some have had to sell a new vehicle/rv because of misrepresentation....

Old 07-12-2012, 07:11 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
One thing about RV sales persons is they are not necessarily lying on purpose. Many of them are decent people, but they really do not know a great deal beyond what is in the brochure. I know they should, but they really don't. Oftentimes they are not RVers and have never camped. And you are right, it is folks new to RVing that are the most vulnerable making that first purchase.

Steve

Old 07-12-2012, 07:49 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
When I bought mine the saleman was a winebago guy. Had worked for them for years before he took his current position. Not even him fully understood these issues.

He had quite an education before I was done with him. Good guy just did not know all the factors involved.

Old 07-21-2012, 06:40 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good Thread Steve & everyone. I also agree. My education on this goes back to my young days in the early 70s. I worked as a mechanic & also as a construction mechanic. One of my teachers or mentors if you wish. Told me if your going to buy a new 4x4 truck he said most likely a 1/2 ton is all you will ever need. But he said a 3/4 ton 4x4 is only a few dollars more & back then sometimes cheaper than a 1/2 ton. He then said if you ever need a heavier truck you have it. Back then RVs were in fad like now. Most towed whatever didn't break the rear end or springs. most of the guys I knew pulled whatever.
The laws were not as strict. Life was much simpler back then, we had freedom then.
Craig