1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Local Car Shows...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 03:32 PM
wallster
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really like how the discussions move in this forum. I posted this thread originally because I was curious how many people enter their trucks in shows and why. Then cruise-ins were brought up, which aren't technically shows but people do show their cars/trucks. Then the entrance cost made it's way here, then whether or not an F1 or early F100 is better driven or just shown... the subject keeps moving into various directions, I like that. It's like sitting at a bar/cafe (whichever suits your personality) and someone brings up a truck subject and the discussion just takes off from there. Even though the group is very diverse and sometimes divided, (original restoration or dark siders, like new or rat rod, Ford or Chevy engines, drivers or trailer queens, etc...) everyone stays polite even if they see things differently. Just an observation, I like hearing everyone's perspective.

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

ps. Sam, great job giving back the $500. prize, karma goes a long way!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:36 PM
Eds56Effie
Senior User

Originally Posted by sdetweil
somebody has to pay something for the site, and awards, and materials (flyers etc)..

we try to make sure to go where there is a reputable charitable organization. !st show we went to this year was for boys & girls club.. I didn't know, but they had a $500 award to best in show..

we won, but certainly the organization needs that more than I do.. so we donated it back immediately.. (didn't have it when I got there, didn't have it when I left)..

but that $500 comes out of registration fees..

Sam

Very good deed on your part, Sam!!

Old 07-09-2012, 05:51 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Wally,
I've never been to a show as a participant - my son Zack & I go to a few just to get out of our estrogen filled house. I don't think our truck is ever done enough to enter into a competition - there is always something that needs fixing or work. I had a guy at a shop tell me the other day they wouldn't let me enter our truck in any shows because the back lights
aren't "period correct", it doesn't have bumpers, etc. You know - just not my deal - Is it mechanically sound? Will it make it over to Home Depot or carry my wife's Craigslist find.... Does Zack like taking it on dates? All that matters over here..

My neighbor keeps asking me to go to a "drive in" of old vehicles in the next town over - not a formal show just for fun - that sounds like something Zack & I would enjoy.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1

Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
dynamic
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ben73058
I had a guy at a shop tell me the other day they wouldn't let me enter our truck in any shows because the back lights
aren't "period correct", it doesn't have bumpers, etc. You know - just not my deal -

My neighbor keeps asking me to go to a "drive in" of old vehicles in the next town over - not a formal show just for fun - that sounds like something Zack & I would enjoy.

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Sounds like a stuck up crowd. If somebody turned me or somebody I knew away because we didnt meet their critera.... id laugh and drive away.

stick to the informal "cruise nights".

Old 07-09-2012, 06:13 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In my experience, 95% of the shows will let you enter what you got if it's before 1974. Only concourse events care about things like correct tail lights, bumpers etc. There is one show here in Sac that says they only allow Ford/Mercury 1953 and older. Other than those, most let in just about anything. They sometimes have a catagory for the "best under construction" vehicle. Most of the free shows are open to the public, so there are even guys bringing new 2012 cars and trucks with wild paint jobs and big stereos. The more the merrier. Jag

Old 07-09-2012, 06:24 PM
rhopper
Fleet Mechanic

My car club, The Stockers, has a series of cruise nights through the summer. No fees, no trophies, come and go as you please. Four hours start to finish and we cruise afterwards. I only go to a few of the all day shows, mostly those put on by other local clubs. They come to mine and I go to theirs.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
Hey Wally,
I've never been to a show as a participant - my son Zack & I go to a few just to get out of our estrogen filled house. I don't think our truck is ever done enough to enter into a competition - there is always something that needs fixing or work. I had a guy at a shop tell me the other day they wouldn't let me enter our truck in any shows because the back lights
aren't "period correct", it doesn't have bumpers, etc. You know - just not my deal - Is it mechanically sound? Will it make it over to Home Depot or carry my wife's Craigslist find.... Does Zack like taking it on dates? All that matters over here..

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Ben,

It's funny, the last show I attended I drove my truck and parked it on a back street. I didn't want to pay $10+ bake for the day and also my truck isn't perfect. The flyers I got for this show stated, "Show Car Quality Only". I suppose they're just trying to keep the heaps and crappy rat rods out but to me it's telling me if I have some imperfections in my truck I don't need to enter. Also there's another show to the north, it's hot rod show and I was told the other day they won't admit any vehicle in that didn't have at least modifications. A friend has a really nick '59 Caddy convertible and they gave him a hard time until he pointed out the wire rims weren't stock, the engine was newer and the transmission was a modern unit.

The last part you mentioned, your son takes the truck on dates and that's all that matters. Both my boys take my trucks out, my youngest has more time and is more interested so he buzzes around town with them all of the time.

Old 07-09-2012, 06:28 PM
wallster
Elder User
Hey Wally,

Ben in Austin
1950 F1
Ben, "I don't think our truck is ever done enough" reminded me of the license plate I read on a perty nice '57 Chevy... I think we all think the same thing! (see pic below).

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Old 07-09-2012, 06:41 PM
r_reed
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my brother in law and i use our trucks just about every day in the good weather. we go, with a few others, and create our own car show in the spectator parking lot of the shows we go to. why would yo pay money just to get a parking spot in the show, so others who got in free, could look at your car? we do "enter" the American Historical Truck show, $1 to get in, spectator or entry, no judging, no trophies. we will do a cruise-in: free ice cream, or discount on food? easy in, easy out. many of the people in the shows bought their cars/trucks the was they are, and they just show them. what's the point??

Old 07-09-2012, 07:41 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Although I've been an avid car NUT for many years I've only entered one car show, got my dash plaque, and have never entered another one since. Not that I was disappointed with what I entered (best friend talked me into it) but I have always felt even though I admired the complete restorations and class 'A' Rods, that if I take the time to build an older vehicle, I want to drive it for my pleasure and if someone stops me and admires what I'm driving I feel I've accomplished not only my ambitions but also made another car friend.
I use to run the cruise nights at the local A & W and met many great people who not only admire what you've brought or driving but just like to talk cars in general.
Locally we have a show coming up this weekend in Decatur,Al and another one in Ardmore,Al on Aug 11 which I'm sure I'll attend as an admirer only. I went to the Ardmore show one year and drove my 73 Chevelle ( yea I'm a Cross breed ) and as I was pulling in the parking area they tried to direct me to the event area. Had to explain to them I was only there to browse not compete.
It's all really about being in love with cars, trucks or vehicles of any class no matter what condition but to also enjoy the spirit of those who love the cars in general.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
I go to shows fairly often, mostly smaller shows out of the local area because the drive is the best part for me. I could care less about trophies and awards.....that's not the reason I built the truck.
I don't mind paying a small fee to enter.....but honestly most larger shows have so many sponsors it seems like a money racket to me. JMO

Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
I am more of a cruise night guy myself, but I still like seeing the trailer queens.
Sam's truck is awful pretty and I mention yours Sam because we all know thats what you are about. I love the attention to detail and commitment. Money or not, thats what it takes. I appreciate that kind of build and a nice guy to go along with that.
On the other hand, I am always more interested in guys like myself and seem to find my type of enthusiast at cruise-ins. Either way I won't have my truck finished to my idea of car show satisfaction. It will be something Nicolle and I can have fun with and thats what i am shooting for in the end, I guess.
I do not like people that turn there nose up, regardless of what you bring. If you don't like what you see then keep walking....I think there are stages in car enthusiasm. Some take it to the next level and some don't. I may have to drive my truck around, not being a trailer queen, but the smile on my face should be worth something! I will be proud of my accomplishments because I like the satisfaction. I wouldn't do a car show with my truck because I know better. I am definitely a Cruise Night kinda guy.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I've gone to many car/truck/motorcycle shows and sound competition, but I have never entered one of my vehicles in one.... I helped some friends at a show in Tuscon on year as they were installing a convertible hard top on a mini truck at the show for a demostration... My 85 Nissan 4x4 was parked with some of our tools in it, the judges came over and asked where my entry sheet was... We all sat there laughing... Explained to them my truck was a work truck... Lots of friends over the years wanted me to show some of the vehicles I've owned... That just isn't me.... I may do it one day, just not that day yet.... I like to drive it to meet and greets and also to our local So-Cal Speed Shop, especially when they have a vendor visit night... Friends wanted me to show my '59 Studebaker Lark, '59 Mercedes 190, both '49 Ford f1, '74 and '78 Ch3vy K5 Blazers, '85 Nissan KC 4x4, and my '62 Harley XLCH Sportster....

Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
... Sam's truck is awful pretty and I mention yours Sam because we all know thats what you are about...
thx. but .. 'all about'? .. I'm just another guy doing what he can. I got sucked in on the paint, which dragged us down a particular path.. nothing special going on over here. I replaced the cab corners, and the cab floor, and had some stuff ruined in sandblasting (hood, doors, cab (repaired)),
made mistakes, and everything else. took me ten yrs.. wish I could drive it, but can't afford the paint repair..

Now. I'd like to put myself in a position that I could do work for others at more reasonable prices than I find around where I am.. this after I stop my full time day job.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM
wallster
Elder User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
thx. but .. 'all about'? .. I'm just another guy doing what he can. I got sucked in on the paint, which dragged us down a particular path.. nothing special going on over here. I replaced the cab corners, and the cab floor, and had some stuff ruined in sandblasting (hood, doors, cab (repaired)),
made mistakes, and everything else. took me ten yrs.. wish I could drive it, but can't afford the paint repair..

Now. I'd like to put myself in a position that I could do work for others at more reasonable prices than I find around where I am.. this after I stop my full time day job.
Sam, I can't take your inner strife any longer. I am willing to sacrifice Lucille and trade you even. I know... I'm too kind, but that's just how I'm wired my friend, I give 'til it hurts. You can drive Lucille anywhere you please since she has that "driven daily patina" with just the right amount of scratches and nicks in the paint. As an added bonus (since she leaks here and there) I'm going to give you the refrigerator box (large piece of cardboard) that I place under her to catch the droppings. About the only thing that throws a wrench into my randon act of kindness is that your wife will have to paint her toenails black from now on (rather than green), it works for Steven Tyler from Aerosmith but it could be a little much for your Mrs.

Wally

1951 F1 - "Lucille"

Quick Reply: Local Car Shows...