Modular V10 (6.8l)  

question about v10 exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 08:30 PM
95_250460
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey everyone love this forum, just have question i hope you all could help me with, i'm looking to buy a v10 within the next year or so and right now i have a 460 with a flowmaster 40series exhaust and i love the sound, and if i get the v10 i wanna make it loud, theres lots of v10's around here but no one around here has one without factory exhaust, now i know theres no way to get the deep throaty sound of the v8 but there has to be a way to make them sound good (and loud). does anyone have any suggestions i'd rather not have to spend anymore money than possible but i will do whats necessary for a good sound. if someone could help me out i'd appreciate it, also if someone could please tell me where i could get some good v10 soundclips i've gone to all the exhaust websites and can't seem to find any of a v10, so if someone has one or knows where to find them i'd really appreciate it. thanks

95 F250 460 4x4 5-speed 4:10 axle, flowmaster exhaust, firestone ride rite air bags, black and silver two tone

Old 05-08-2003, 11:58 PM
Forced34795
Freshman User

My truck Y's off after the converter and goes to dual exhaust with no mufflers at all. It isn't overly loud and honestly it sounds like a throaty v8 at idle. Is higher pitched around 3000 but my duals are like around 2 to 2 1/4". I bet 2.5 or 3 would be even more throaty.

Old 05-09-2003, 08:35 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, there are many exhaust posts here,use the the search deal.As many here know, i am partial to my true dual set-up,no cat. I have tried just about everything with single exhaust and wasnt satisfied.I now have a much throatier sound at lower rpms, and at full song, well words can't descibe-very sweet!Very nice power increase along with a noticable torque increase.I highly reccommend a SUPERCHIP upgrade or DIABLO with any exhaust mod to fully get the most out of the exhaust mods.GOOD LUCK! DARYL

Old 05-09-2003, 10:23 AM
Forced34795
Freshman User

V10KLZZ71S

Do you think removing the factory cat would kill low end torque or do you think the less restriction would help?

Old 05-09-2003, 10:44 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

It didnt on mine, i am more than satisfied,i tow a heavy boat from time to time and like the torque gain.No low end torque loss, just more.

Old 05-17-2003, 08:10 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User

There's a guy here (I think it is JetJock) who has the ATS 4" diesel exhaust system on his V10. He says it souds great, with a very throaty deep sound at low RPMs, and that mean sounding high RPM howl we are all familiar with from the V10. I think the only mods he did was ad a piece of pipe modified to adapt the 4" system. I'm thinkin of trying it myself!

Old 05-18-2003, 08:40 AM
rlh68050
Posting Guru

Originally posted by V10KLZZ71S
Welcome, there are many exhaust posts here,use the the search deal.As many here know, i am partial to my true dual set-up,no cat. DARYL
I would not suggust to anyone that removing the cat is a good idea. Not only is it illegal, but you are compromising the performance of your vehicle. This is a fact.

Old 05-18-2003, 09:16 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User

May I ask exactly how you are compromising thte performance of your vehicle by removing the cat? I still have mine on, but I know lots of guys who have taken them off while doing performance mods, and have no problems. If there was truly an performance loss by removing the cat, and I am sure it would be very very slight, if any, it would be overcome by other performance mods anyway. I've had performance cars ever since I was in high school, removed the cats on ALL of them, and never once lost any performance. As far as being illegal, that all depends on where you live. THAT is a fact.

Old 05-18-2003, 11:06 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

I absolutly love my power loss,sometimes i have to get the car behind me to push me off to get me going, runs going really good going down hills,sometimes it doesnt make it up the hill, i just roll back and go home.

Old 05-18-2003, 06:42 PM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you live in the United States of America it is illegal to remove the cat. That is a fact!! Emission control systems on motor vehicles is a federal requirement! That is a fact! Someone needs to get their "facts" straight.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:44 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User

In Oklahoma, we no longer have vehicle inspections, and even when we did, I have NEVER had anyone look to see if my cats were still on. So much for your precious federal law, bud. So go tell that to every individual in the country who has removed their cat, and see how many are going to put them back on just because it is a "federal regulation". What are you , some kind of "federal emissions standards" police or something? If you like your cats, more power to you, but stop forcing your opinion of right and wrong on the rest of us. Thats a little "FACT" for you!

Old 05-19-2003, 08:23 AM
pancartom
Senior User

wow, what an airhead..... it's immaterial whether you okies inspect vehicles or not, it's against the law. that's not opinion, just fact. i guess there could be some kind of lame arguement about not wanting to replace a bad cat after 200k miles, but to take off a perfectly good one, well.... that's kind of lame. do us a favor, air...... stay in oklahoma. we don't need your illegal truck on this side of the mississippi river.

Old 05-19-2003, 09:05 AM
V10KLZZ71S
Fleet Mechanic

No exhaust inspections in Louisiana either. I removed my cat,but what about all the older vehicles that have no cat, what do you tell them?Besides i dont do every thing im told.I'm with airtractrdriver on this one.I guess you hate large suv's too because their mean

Get over it!

ps go to all the mustangs boards also, and rag on them because there is a BUNCH of them with off-road H-pipes.Its a shame tech discussions have to turn into politically correct attacks.

Last edited by V10KLZZ71S; 05-19-2003 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here are a few more FACTs:

We have too many Federal Laws.
They are mostly un-enforceable, (ergo in my opinion they were a waste of taxpayer money to study, write, debate, and enact).

Most of the manufactures have to pay a penalty for the percentage of their fleet that does not meet federal EPA standards for emissions. This is where light weight (dangerous, my opinion) autos and trucks come from.

They also have done darn near everything possible (on mass produced vehicles) to make them efficient. One of these things is to gain HP and Torque with relatively freer flowing intake and EXHAST systems. (yes they can be improved)

In this quest for more power, from a lighter/smaller engine and vehicle, they changed the design of the Catalytic Converters to be free flowing and they are also part of the sound muffling system.

I have witnessed about 10 dyno runs locally and have written a lot on this forum (mostly about exhaust systems) on the different header, dual pipe/muffler, and X/H pipe combinations.

Several guys came with a replacement pipe for the cat and did a run with cat vs one with straight pipe. There was a slight gain in HP/TQ a little higher in the band, but no GREAT improvement!

Most guys put the cat back on, because the noise with it off is very noticeable in the cab.

I am trying to make two points.

One. I think the automotive clean air laws are bogus, and based on bad scince.
The fleets of trucks, busses, airplanes, military(look up how much a loaded C5A burns on takeoff), all two strokes, and space shots (got any Idea how many launches a year?) cause more pollution in 1 MINUET than every single pickup/SUV will ever produce in 100 YEARS. O'reily is wrong! The law is flawed, and if you use LOGIC, instead of emotional BS, you would see this as a FACT!

Two. Other than more sound, there is not much to be gained by removing the Catalytic converter. There are some exceptions to this, and there are owners who Want every drop of power they can get, even if it is TOP end. More power to them, pardon the pun.

Are any of you Federal Law "experts" aware that there is a push to enact laws to make ANY and ALL modifications to ANY licensed motor vehicle Illegal.

No lights, no intake, no exhaust, no lifts, no lowers, no ignition, carburator, injector, tire, wheel, or any other modification that substantially changes the vehicle from factory original design....

Don't think it can happen?

Get your head out of the sand!!!! Look at Germany and the EU they already have these laws. Read what SEMA is doing to fight this.

Old 05-19-2003, 09:24 AM
airtractrdrivr
Senior User

Hmmm, a typical response from a 16 post newbie wonderboy. Tell me pancatrom, do you even OWN a vehicle, or are you boys on "that" side of the Mississippi still ridin' mules? Like I said, if you dont like it, fine, do it your way. Stop trying to force your views of what is right and wrong on the rest of us. Oh yeah, I must be an airhead since I am a commercial pilot and make my living flying a piece of machinery that probably cost more than you make in 10 years. I will make sure I visit your town soon and polute your air a little more!! Geez, what a treehugger

Well SHucks Dang gum!!! I guess us po' ole Okies is just plain stuupid!!! YEEEEHAAWWW!! Why dont you go protest something!

Quick Reply: question about v10 exhaust