Sponsored by:

Has this happened to anyone else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 02:44 AM
1buckeyefan
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has this happened to anyone else?

Lately (within the last couple of days) when we park the Excursion we have a difficult time getting it out of park and into gear whether it is going in to Reverse or Drive the gear shift does not want to move. I have not forced anything at any time but eventually with some pumping of the brake pedal and some putting into park and out of park we can free it up. This is something that happened virtually overnight and once we are in gear everything is normal.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so does anyone have any idea what is causing it? I am making an assumption that it has to be some switch in the steering column but I am no mechanic and only guessing. If someone knows what this is can you please fill me in on it and what the cost is to repair whatever it is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-04-2012, 05:59 AM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Hey Buckeye Fan, Moved from Layton last year. In Hawkeye country now.

Try this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post10468867

Old 07-04-2012, 02:12 PM
1buckeyefan
Junior User
Thanks for the lead on the thread. Why did you leave God's country to be in Hawkeye territory?? By they way.....Go BUCKEYES!!!

Thanks again for the help!

Old 07-04-2012, 02:30 PM
TrdLtly
TreadLightly
Originally Posted by 1buckeyefan
Thanks for the lead on the thread. Why did you leave God's country to be in Hawkeye territory?? By they way.....Go BUCKEYES!!!

Thanks again for the help!

I really am not a sports fan, but I do like to poke fun at others weaknesses... such as the Buckeys. LOL

Actually I was born and raised in Portland, OR. Now that really IS God's country.

Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
precisiontile
Senior User
Originally Posted by 1buckeyefan
Lately (within the last couple of days) when we park the Excursion we have a difficult time getting it out of park and into gear whether it is going in to Reverse or Drive the gear shift does not want to move. I have not forced anything at any time but eventually with some pumping of the brake pedal and some putting into park and out of park we can free it up. This is something that happened virtually overnight and once we are in gear everything is normal.

Has this happened to anyone else? If so does anyone have any idea what is causing it? I am making an assumption that it has to be some switch in the steering column but I am no mechanic and only guessing. If someone knows what this is can you please fill me in on it and what the cost is to repair whatever it is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

There are two bolts under the steering column above the brake pedal and main shaft of column, where the linkage goes together. The two bolts sometimes loosen up causing hard shifting from the column and will tend to not go into the gear your wanting. My thought is that you could have this problem or one of the two has come out completely. Good luck hope this helps!