1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Payload Capacity Gas vs. Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:11 PM
mglassF250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, someone please give me an answer I can use. I get different answers every where i look.

I have a 2011 F250 crew cab short bed with the 6.2L gas engine. What is the max weight of a 5th wheel i can tow? is it only 12500?

Thanks in advance
confused in VA

Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Joseph Jenkins
New User
The answer is it depends. Depends on the payload capacity of the truck, 20% of the fifth wheel weight sits in the bed. So you need enough payload to be able to carry the fifth wheel. You also need to have the ability to tow the amount of the trailer. I would say if the max is showing up as 12k then that is the biggest size you can get provided that you have enough payload capacity.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM
mglassF250
New User
my payload capacity is 2690. so ias long as the trailer doesnt go over the max weight limit stated in the owners manuals then i should be ok?

Old 07-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Joseph Jenkins
New User
You will want to check what the trailer's pin weight is. If you had a 12500lb trailer about 2500 lbs would be pin weight and in your payload. That only leaves you 190lbs roughly for people and other things in the truck.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:40 PM
mglassF250
New User
thanks that is the best answer i have gotten. Love this forum.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:04 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
3.73's = 11,900
4.30's = 14,900

Those are from Ford's spec sheet.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:15 PM
mglassF250
New User
ok I have 3.73 rearend. is it worth it to get 4.30 installed?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:16 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mglassF250
my payload capacity is 2690. so ias long as the trailer doesnt go over the max weight limit stated in the owners manuals then i should be ok?
Not quite, there's a little more to it than that. The stated "payload capacity" doesn't account for a lot of optional equipment that makes the truck heavier. What you really need to do is weigh your truck to get an accurate empty weight. You will want to do this with a full gas tank and no people or other cargo in the truck. Once you have the empty weight, subtract it from your GVWR and this will give you your actual payload capacity. I almost guarantee this will be significantly lower than the payload capacity stated by Ford. Now you need to figure out the weight of all people and cargo that will be in the truck and subtract that from your actual payload capacity. This will give you your maximum pin weight.

You could also just head to the scale and weigh the truck with all people and cargo in it to find your max pin weight.

All of this being said, many people choose to exceed these numbers and do so with no problems whatsoever. The legality of doing so may vary by location, so check your local laws on this. The one weight rating you absolutely do not want to exceed is that of your tires.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:56 PM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Here's a quick example using my truck (Mine is a 350) since I know my weights.

My truck has a stated payload capacity of 3,892 lbs. When I weighed it, I got and empty weight of 7200 lbs. I have a GVWR of 10,600 lbs, so this leaves me with an actual payload capacity of 3400 lbs. If I put 4 people in the truck at 150 lbs each, plus 200 lbs worth of other junk, this gives me 800 lbs of total cargo weight. Subtracting that 800 lbs from 3400, I would have a maximum pin weight of 2600 lbs. Plus a fifth wheel hitch itself is a huge chunk of metal, so take probably another 200 lbs off your pin weight if you didn't have one in the truck when you weighed it.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The biggest point is this, and it has been stated very well in several posts by several posters...

And that is that you are going to have to weight YOUR truck to detemine its true capacity, not go off of what Ford shows.

Rememeber, and this is clearly stated by Ford, but often overlooked, is that the capacites/loading/towing listed are the "best" case, and adding even one option not on the "best" case truck or selecting a different body style than the "best" case truck will REDUCE these "best" case #'s.

David

Old 07-07-2012, 02:32 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
I understand that different states have different rules, and I noted that. I went to the Minnesota governement web site and came up with this - it looks like they have raised the limit to 15k since you checked? I know my stste changes things on a regular basis it seems.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=168.002

And I cut and pasted this part of it.

Subd. 21a.Noncommercial vehicle.

"Noncommercial vehicle" means a one-ton pickup truck registered under section 168.013, subdivision 1e, with a 15,000 pounds or less gross vehicle weight rating and for which the owner has made a declaration that the vehicle will be operated exclusively for personal use. The declaration must be based on one or more of the following:
(1) a change of vehicle use;
(2) registration of a new vehicle;
(3) transfer of vehicle ownership; or
(4) registration renewal.

End cut n paste

I am not trying to prove that I am right, or a know it all. I do not know other ststes rules and regs that well without some research, I am just trying to get people to realize that things are changing as personal use pickups get heavier and more capable and to do there homework as many states regs have changed in just the last few years.

While certain states differ, most are now adopting rules well in excess of 10k for persnal use, just like the FMSCR's have for a long time.

As to the legsl limits, you are correct on the GCWR, it is but a recommendation and as such, is not required to, and does not appear anywhere on the safety certification sticker. The other ratings are and as such do appear. This would be under federal law.

Ihope this helps, David

I know you aren't trying to prove anything, and I'm certainly not either. Just trying to point out the difference between the F-250 and F-350 and why the F-250's GVWR can not exceed 10,000 lbs.

This is a perfect example of how complicated the states make these laws and why everyone needs to research their local laws on this stuff.

You quoted MN Statute 168.002, Subd. 21a, which simply defines a "noncommercial vehicle" as a one ton pickup that is only for personal use. It also states that it must be registered under (and provides a link to) 168.013, Subd. 1e, which defines the tax rates that are paid based on gross vehicle weight.

There are a few other things to look at here though.

First, we have the definition of a "passenger automobile".

Subd. 24.Passenger automobile.
(a) "Passenger automobile" means any motor vehicle designed and used for carrying not more than 15 individuals, including the driver.
(b) "Passenger automobile" does not include motorcycles, motor scooters, buses, school buses, or commuter vans as defined in section 168.126.
(c) "Passenger automobile" includes, but is not limited to:
(1) a vehicle that is a pickup truck or a van as defined in subdivisions 26 and 40;
(2) neighborhood electric vehicles, as defined in section 169.011, subdivision 47; and
(3) medium-speed electric vehicles, as defined in section 169.011, subdivision 39.

Note the line that includes "A vehicle that is a pickup truck or van" as a passenger automobile. So now we have the definition of a "pickup truck"

Subd. 26.Pickup truck.
"Pickup truck" means any truck with a manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity of three-fourths ton or less and commonly known as a pickup truck. If the manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity is not provided or cannot be determined, then the value specified by the manufacturer as the gross vehicle weight as indicated on the manufacturer's certification label must be less than 10,000 pounds.

Note how it specifically states the gross vehicle weight must be less than 10,000 lbs. This means anything over 10,000 lbs is not considered a pickup truck and therefore also not considered a passenger automobile.

Now, we have the definition of a "one-ton pickup truck".

Subd. 21b.One-ton pickup truck.
"One-ton pickup truck" means any truck resembling a pickup truck with a manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity of one ton. If the manufacturer's nominal rated carrying capacity is not provided or is not known, then the value specified by the manufacturer as the gross vehicle weight rating as indicated on the manufacturer's certification label must be 10,001 pounds or more, not to exceed 15,000 pounds, in accordance with the definition of "commercial motor vehicle" in Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, section 390.5.

So, this defines a one-ton pickup as having a GVWR of 10,001-15,000 lbs.

This illustrates the difference between an F-250 and an F-350 and why the F-250's GVWR can not exceed 10,000 lbs. It's not about how much the truck can safely haul, it's all about the numbers and keeping the F-250 under 10,000 lbs so it can still be considered a 3/4 ton truck and therefore still considered a passenger vehicle.

And as always, these laws vary by state but I would guess most states' laws on this are very similar.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:44 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I see a lot of fantastic information on capacities and the rules, but I haven't yet seen anything on liability when things don't go as planned.

Scenario: You're hauling above the sticker weight and there is an accident in front of you. You don't stop in time have to swerve to the right in an intersection to avoid a collision. You're stopped, but somebody somewhere hits you after you've stopped outside your lane. In our minds, somebody in front of you is at fault and is handed the tab. If he were to lawyer up, he could make the arguement that you were hauling unsafe and you should have been able stop better if you were hauling under the sticker - and stayed in your lane to avoid the subsequent collision. So now your insurance company is subrogated against for whatever the shyster can manage.

The investigating officer may not give a rip about weights and stickers - but you can bet insurance companies will. I can't help but wonder if we're not looking the wrong direction for answers on this question.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:15 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by kd0axs
I know you aren't trying to prove anything, and I'm certainly not either. Just trying to point out the difference between the F-250 and F-350 and why the F-250's GVWR can not exceed 10,000 lbs.

This is a perfect example of how complicated the states make these laws and why everyone needs to research their local laws on this stuff.

You quoted MN Statute 168.002, Subd. 21a, which simply defines a "noncommercial vehicle" as a one ton pickup that is only for personal use. It also states that it must be registered under (and provides a link to) 168.013, Subd. 1e, which defines the tax rates that are paid based on gross vehicle weight.

There are a few other things to look at here though.

First, we have the definition of a "passenger automobile".

Note the line that includes "A vehicle that is a pickup truck or van" as a passenger automobile. So now we have the definition of a "pickup truck"

Note how it specifically states the gross vehicle weight must be less than 10,000 lbs. This means anything over 10,000 lbs is not considered a pickup truck and therefore also not considered a passenger automobile.

Now, we have the definition of a "one-ton pickup truck".

So, this defines a one-ton pickup as having a GVWR of 10,001-15,000 lbs.

This illustrates the difference between an F-250 and an F-350 and why the F-250's GVWR can not exceed 10,000 lbs. It's not about how much the truck can safely haul, it's all about the numbers and keeping the F-250 under 10,000 lbs so it can still be considered a 3/4 ton truck and therefore still considered a passenger vehicle.

And as always, these laws vary by state but I would guess most states' laws on this are very similar.
Yes, I understand and agree that you may have to pay more for licensing a "one" ton over a 3/4 ton. My main point was this, it is not considered a commercial vehicle just because it has a GVWR of 10,001lbs or more, and that was the one of the most listed reasons as to why there was a break at 10k, which is a misconception for many states.

And I will be the first to point out I did not make that clear enough!

In WA, all trucks are, well trucks and are plated as such. The smallest pickup is licensed as a truck. It also possible to pay weight based fees and get truck plates for passenger cars so they (couriers and such) can use truck loading zones.

David

Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tugly
I see a lot of fantastic information on capacities and the rules, but I haven't yet seen anything on liability when things don't go as planned.

Scenario: You're hauling above the sticker weight and there is an accident in front of you. You don't stop in time have to swerve to the right in an intersection to avoid a collision. You're stopped, but somebody somewhere hits you after you've stopped outside your lane. In our minds, somebody in front of you is at fault and is handed the tab. If he were to lawyer up, he could make the arguement that you were hauling unsafe and you should have been able stop better if you were hauling under the sticker - and stayed in your lane to avoid the subsequent collision. So now your insurance company is subrogated against for whatever the shyster can manage.

The investigating officer may not give a rip about weights and stickers - but you can bet insurance companies will. I can't help but wonder if we're not looking the wrong direction for answers on this question.
You are correct in your assumption that there are legal issues to be possily contended with in the case of a overloading issue, especialy when a collision occurs.

That is why I have repeadedly pointed out that the "safety compliance sticker" is a LEGAL document in the eyes of the law and those numbers on it are absolutes. This safety compliance sticker is REQUIRED to be on every vehicle sold. This "legal" document specificly lists GAWR's and GVWR among others. The GAWR's and GVWR are set by the complete vehicle manufacture (Ford or GM or? ) and are not recommendations. They are absolutes.

There are times when Ford sells a incomplete chassis, and the safety compliance sticker Ford installes reflects as it is marked "incomplete vehicle" and you will find elsewhere a complete vehicle "saftey compliance sticker" which may or may not have the same ratings, depending upon if the complete manufacture has installed things like a tag axle, etc.

So these incomplete vehicles will have two "safety compliance stickes", incomplete and complete.

The GCWR is not though a absolute number, and does not appear on that safety compliance sticker. That is a recommended number by Ford.

And, in the case of a collision that was due to suspected overloading, the absolute numbers (GAWR's, GVWR) on the safety compliance sticker are the EXACT numbers the authorities will use in support of there determination of overloading or not. The recommended number (GCWR), possibly, especialy if a gross overloading above and beyond the recommended limit was a direct cause of the accident.

Then yes, we have the civil side of things, with the burden of proof not being as strick, there the recommended numbers can come into play, as in, The laywers line of questioning.... MR so-so, as you were exceeding any normal or prudent recommendations and were overloaded when you rear ended the victim....

David