2011 to 2019 Explorer Discuss the 2011 to 2019 Explorer

Turn signals on new Explorer - huh?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:40 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turn signals on new Explorer - huh?

I recently rented a new Explorer (2012 I think, it only had 1050 miles on it). I've had two Explorers before, a 1992 and my current 2006, so I thought it would be easy to slide into the seat and know where everything was. NOT!

My question is the turn signal operation - the switch would not lock into place. The blinker would blink for a few seconds then stop. I had to hold it down while I was making turns. That can't be right!?! I didn't see a manual in the car, so I couldn't read about it. I figured out most of the other features (really like the rear view camera and side mirror pull in).

When I talked about it at work, somebody said "Oh, you have to tap the switch twice quickly to keep it on". Is this right? It's not intuitive, at least not to me, and I had the rig for a week and didn't catch on to this.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Turn Signals

It is not just on the new Explorer's, my new F150 has them, would say most others also. It is an electronic version, so there is no detent on it. You have two options, one is you push the lever all the one in one direction, just like you normally would, but it does not stay down. But the turn signal stays on until you turn, just like the old style systems. If you push it down just a little, like when changing lanes on the expressway, it will flash the turn signals 3 times. I admit, it did take a little getting used to, but now I love it.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The SD's have 'em too. As Clayton said, it takes a bit to get used to but lane changes now get a small bump on the lever and full turns get bumped. It's become habit now, and almost annoying when I drive my wife's Outlook with its "archaic" turn signal.

Not sure on the other models, but on the SD's, when you plug a trailer in, you get more flashes (5) on the small (1/2) bump of the turn signal.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:18 AM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I forgot about that part Matt. Yes my F150 Raptor flashes 5 times when the trailer is hooked up too. It is funny, was driving my daughters 10 Fusion last night which does not have this new turn signal, and was thinking the same thing as you, darn these old style turn signals.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:49 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cparks
You have two options, one is you push the lever all the one in one direction, just like you normally would, but it does not stay down.
Do you mean "all the way in one direction"? I thought I had done this. Even to the point of holding the lever down for several seconds. It still only blinked a couple of times then stopped.

Old 07-05-2012, 09:19 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Bump the signal all the way in one direction til it stops (all the way up or down), then let it come back up on its own. That should operate like the old signals (wheels turned or I believe there's a length of time it'll stay on before it automatically shuts off). Bump it up or down halfway (it'll come back up on its own again) and you should get 3 flashes before it shuts off.

There should be no need to hold the lever all the way down to keep the signal on. If yours is operating like this, it needs dealer attention (service).

Here's an excerpt from my manual, it may explain it better than I can (which is why I don't write 'em! lol).

TURN SIGNAL CONTROL

The turn signal lever does not mechanically lock in the upward or
downward position when activated. The turn signal control activation and
cancellation is electronic.
• To operate the left turn signal, push the lever down until it stops and release.
• To operate the right turn signal, push the lever up until it stops and release.
• To manually cancel turn signal operation, push the lever again in either direction.

Lane change
To indicate a left or right lane change:
• Push the lever up/down to the first stop position and release. The turn signals will flash three times and stop.
• Push the lever up/down to the first stop position and hold. The turn signals will flash if the lever is held in this position

Old 02-15-2014, 05:26 PM
ertem
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FORD, PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH THE HUMAN INTERFACE!

I realize this is an old thread. I came across this forum while searching for "Ford F-150 Turn Indicator Stalk" on Google.

I just decided NOT to buy a 150 only because of this single issue.

About two months ago I was ready to buy a crew cab, race red, short bed 4x4 f-150. It was in stock at the local dealer in Annapolis. I test drove it one evening and noticed the turn indicator behavior.

At the time I did not realize how annoying it could be. Luckily I did not buy the truck that night, as I did not have the time. I happened to rent F-150'd from Avis three times in the next few weeks, in MD, CO, and in AZ, driving them for at least several days each. I drove those three trucks for at least a couple of thousand miles total. I had thought the annoyance of the momemtary contact turn stalk would wear off, that I would get used to it...

Au contraire, it really began to make me angry, just thinking about how dumb design decisions could be made. I am an engineer, and one thing I know is "Don't mess with the human interface!" The old style stalk worked just fine. You could tell what it was doing just by fingertip feel. What genius thought that a momentary contact stalk would be better?

So, I have decided not to buy an F-150. Purely on this issue. But I don't need to spen $45k on a truck that will annoy me every day for years.

Ridiculous!

M C Ertem

PS: My only other F-150 annoyance was the seat rail design. When the driver seat is all the way back, try to get in and out of the truck without banging your shins on the seat rail structure. A really short person must have been designing the seat rail supports.

PPS: Doesn't Ford do focus group tests? Any potential buyer could have told them these features of the design were really bad.

PPPS: I wouldn't even have been looking at the 150 crew cab in the first place. I would have preferred a 4x4 Expedition. But try and configure that with a bench seat and the shifter on the column! No joy!!! Who makes these stupid configuration decisions at Ford???

Old 02-16-2014, 08:14 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
You are egg-xatly correct... how dare they change anything without checking with us!
The Model T interface was purr-fect !

I think the horn and turn signals should be on the floor board, so we could leave both hands on the steering wheel...

you and I need to design the next ford! What are they thinking ? that they own the company ?!?! Huurumph !

(I really am more adaptable than that though, I can deal with the two different interfaces on our 350 and Explorer Sport just fine,
just like I can deal with a straight road or a curved road - even different curvature of roads -How about THAT ! )

Old 02-17-2014, 08:55 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Welcome to FTE, Ertem. Although I wish your first post wasn't a rant. Glad you got that off your chest!

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
FYI, It's the wife's Exploreer Sport and she just told me
if you turn on the right turn signal 'fully' and want to turn it off?

you can either push it up again as if turning it on
OR slight bump it down (to the left) and either way it turns off !!

so just about ANYONE should be able to figure it out if Blondie did

(fyi - I didn't marry her cuz she was a 'car girl' - in fact, she doesn't like to do anything except drive !)

Old 02-21-2014, 06:43 PM
Buck 1
Posting Guru

Sounds odd that you would decide not to buy a truck based on the fact you don't like the new turn signals. No complaints about style, performance, ride, etc......just a rant about the turn signals. Maybe you'll be happier in a Nissan, Toyota, etc...........bye!

Old 03-09-2014, 04:59 PM
RedFish_n
Junior User
When my wife was ready for a new vehicle, she went pick out an Escape that she liked. When I got off of work, I went with her to buy it. I test drove it first and during the test drive I noticed that the turn signal was strange and would only blink a few times. That is not the reason we did not buy the Escape. I hit my head getting in and out of it. So we went test drive an Explorer. I figured out the turn signal on that test drive. I don't drive the Explorer often, but I do wish my old truck had that feature.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:41 PM
tuckr2
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
turn signal

Read several of the posts regarding the turn signal. When I first got my 2011 F150 it bothered me a bit. Only because I wasn't used to the signal blinking 3 times then stopping. Now, I love it. Don't have to hold the lever to get into a turn lane. Bump and go. Like Nascar. LOL. Bought my wife a 2013 Explorer with the same thing. Once she understood the why she was on board.
To not buy an F150 or other Ford because of this just makes it appear that person was looking for an excuse. or trolling.

Old 03-15-2014, 12:53 AM
four4x4fords
Mountain Pass
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
My wife has a 14 Explorer and I drive 14 F-150 at work.
When I get in my "antique" 01 F-350 I miss the turn signal switch and steering wheel mounted radio volume controls the most....the built in Bluetooth and Sirrus come in a close second!
Oddly enough I don't miss any of it in my "old" vehicles.

Old 03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
Mud Doc
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
FORD, PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH THE HUMAN INTERFACE!

I think you forget that humans have the ability to adapt...

I have to move between my '09 450 and my wife's '11 MKX with the same turn signal lever. I have adapted.

Joe

Quick Reply: Turn signals on new Explorer - huh?