Computer Chips & Tuners  

my feelings on custom tuned SCT vs old Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:10 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
my feelings on custom tuned SCT vs old Superchip

just wanted to post some of my findings on my 2004 F350 with a 5.4. Had a 1714 Superchip when the truck was about a year old, i used the Hi-performance setting and i thought the truck was ok. Then i got a "custom tuned" SCT and yes the trans acted allot better, TQ holds better etc. But one thing i did notice was that one i got this weird start up idle after the SCT. The truck starts jumps to 1500 and instead of idling down to 650 it falls flat to 500rpm and kinds stumbles but then jumps to 1200rpm and slowly idles down to 650rpm. Second whenever i use the SCT i have a firmer 2-3 shift then normal, its like a sticky valve but only with the SCT? To see if its my truck or the SCT i removed the SCT and went stock tune for a week, i then installed my old Superchip and used the 87 tune and for two weeks now i have a normal Ford idle at startup, goes to about 1500rpm and slowly idles down to the normal 650rpm with no stumble or ill side effects. Also my shifts are now all the same speed and pressure feeling from what i can tell from driving around on it again. Another thing which i don't know if its just me wanting to think the Superchip is actually different or not but i swear the Superchip 87tune is far better then the SCT with "custom tunes". The truck pulls much harder from a dead stop and passing power feels like i have a extra 50hp now?

Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Franchi Motorsports
Former Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If whomever wrote your custom tunes didn't lock out the tune, you can adjust your startup idle speed yourself with the SCT unit. If it is locked, I'd check with your tuner as it really shouldn't have that idle issue.

And you can also adjust the transmission shift firmness yourself as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to let me know and I will do my best to help!

Old 07-06-2012, 09:10 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
went stock for two days and i reinstalled my SCT last night and i really am not a fan of what the truck is now. This idle thing is driving me nuts and the trans shifting is all over the place again, too soft 1-2 shift and the 2-3 is rough. Trying to make adjustments in the options screen but it does little to change it.....

Old 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM
MauleOne
Elder User
Tunes

Check with who ever did your tunes, they should be able to help.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:45 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
ater my last post ive had it with the SCT, i put the Super back in and just took my first long distance trip this weekend and i got an astounding 297.3 miles out of a tank of gas. My SCT never got me over 260 miles plus the Superchip feels so much more powerful in the truck. Guess ill be selling the SCT and let someone else get tunes put on it for their truck...

Old 07-24-2012, 07:27 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
ater my last post ive had it with the SCT, i put the Super back in and just took my first long distance trip this weekend and i got an astounding 297.3 miles out of a tank of gas. My SCT never got me over 260 miles plus the Superchip feels so much more powerful in the truck. Guess ill be selling the SCT and let someone else get tunes put on it for their truck...
Huh, interesting. I'm been looking at the hypertech tuners, they seem to get good reviews.... I might get one soon..... thoughts?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:35 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
drey04 i had a hypertech first when the truck was a year old, it was total junk i think. LOL too far back to remember but then i got the 1714 Superchip and it was beautiful! The only reason i got the SCT was because everyone on this site said how great it was blah blah. Well i have a few issues with the running ofmy SCT and stock tunes and the Superchip tunes dont do what the SCT does to my truck so.....

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Thanks a bunch Scaler... yeah it was just another option I've been kicking around. Sounds like that superchip is working good for you. I might start looking into that. I got your PM too, thanks!

Old 08-01-2012, 11:22 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
i tried to join the Superchip tuner forum and for some reason it wont let me join? Its very odd, anyways from what ive been reading on their site from users Superchips has gotten even better over the past few years on their tuning. I might trade my old 1714 in for the new 1865 red tuner for the Fseries trucks

Old 08-01-2012, 12:15 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
Good to know. I eventually want to re-gear my truck, but I want a good tuner too. Oh, and if you end up getting the 1865, let me know how you like it.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:32 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
im debating either having the SCT guy change a few things on my tunes to make it better, or go to a differnt SCT tuner that is closer to where i live so i can go right to the shop and talk face to face and get what i want, or im just gonna go with the new Superchip because i know my old one does everything i want from it but its just updated and newer???? So many choices....

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 PM
drey04
Posting Guru
lol yeah i hear ya.... decisions, decisions. im still kickin' around ideas too, not sure what i wanna do yet.

the different SCT from your local shop might be the way to go. like you said, having that face to face contact is good, it may be the ticket to getting your truck dialed in.... idk, hard to say, lots of options...

Old 09-01-2012, 08:46 PM
chris2006F150
New User
My opinion.

My opinion is since you have a gas engine instead of a diesel is to go with a superchips cortex 1950. sct is good n all except it lacks the punch in gas opposed to a diesel. In a diesel with an sct you can add 50 or 65 or 150hp...in a diesel. in a gas engine such as yours a superchips cortex would be far superior such as ive had both for some time, but the cortex i just a better all around programmer. I have the cortex in a 06' 4.6 F150 crewcab along with an intake,exhaust, headers and some upgraded plugs n wires and now im pushing 300hp. not bad when the original was 220something.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:21 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Ive been PMing two other members on here that have 2004 F250's with the 5.4 and BOTH are having similar results as me. Both tell me they feel the SCT is less powerful after installing it, both seem the shifting is not correct just like im experiencing and both have the idle surge as im having with the SCT installed. And were all running custom tunes from a popular SCT dealer on this forum.

Old 09-13-2012, 11:53 AM
drey04
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SuperDutyScaler
Ive been PMing two other members on here that have 2004 F250's with the 5.4 and BOTH are having similar results as me. Both tell me they feel the SCT is less powerful after installing it, both seem the shifting is not correct just like im experiencing and both have the idle surge as im having with the SCT installed. And were all running custom tunes from a popular SCT dealer on this forum.
hmmmm, well it's looking like no SCT for me then...

Quick Reply: my feelings on custom tuned SCT vs old Superchip