General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Body Builder Alert - are you paying too much for protein? Look here...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Body Builder Alert - are you paying too much for protein? Look here...

99% of the supplements in stores are JUST JUNK
They are...

You should look up a chart for "Protein Efficiency Ratios"

EGG WHITES are at the top of it, and they can be had at any grocery

The only problem is how to make them tasty - and the yellow yolk contains all the fat and cholesterol, that part must be thrown away!
Yeah, I know. It's the best tasting part of the egg.

So what do we do?

Four eggs, according to the book of food counts by Corinne T. Netzer, have all the protein we can take in at one "HIT"

How can we turn that into something that we really like?

Post your recipes here!

Always remember that we need about ten percent of our diet to be unsaturated fat (oil, as opposed to grease)

Dill gives fried egg whites a butter flavor - and you can always make a shake with milk and chocolate powder...

Dropping cracked eggs in a bowl, you can fetch out the yolks. These are good for dogs - it makes their fur shine for one thing.
They have a different physiology than ours

NEVER shop at GNC. They only exist to separate you from your hard earned cash, nothing in there works

~Wolf out

Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bacon comes to mind...

Old 07-02-2012, 06:09 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You made some pretty sweeping statements here, Wolfie. Example. Your castoff of anything that has to do with GNC.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
I've been ripped off by them before.

Most of what they have on their shelves contain only the barest amount of anything to make their claims legit.
I've even seen amino acids that are labelled "Pharmaceutical grade GEL CAPSULES" (which has nothing to do with the contents) just to fool customers...

It isn't what I was looking for - and only a sucker with too much cash goes there.

Study the books, learn the facts, and get the right stuff from natural sources, you'll be far better off

Old 07-03-2012, 07:05 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Bacon comes to mind...
"Mmm... Bacon!!!"

Old 07-03-2012, 09:30 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I'm with you on the 'natural sources' thingee......And aside from stuff like fish oil and resveratrol, I don't buy too much in the way of supplements. I just never heard GNC slammed too much. As multis go, their mega-mens supplements had fairly good ratings.......

But yes......99% of your nutrients should be from natural sources (i.e. what you shovel into your gullet......)

Old 07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Last thing I bought from GNC was a shaker bottle. 4 years ago. Before that, I think it was a tub of meal replacement powder from PVL Nutrients, probably 10 years ago, and probably the last time they carried that brand.

I, too, prefer to get my nutrients from natural sources though. Eggs, red meat, white meat, almonds... I just prefer real food. Shakes are good if I'm thirsty though.

If I were on a bulk, I'd probably start taking mrp's again, but as it is, I've got a source of fuel worth a good 30 or so pounds.

Old 07-05-2012, 06:15 AM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
You guys know anything about the Paleo diet? Supposed to bring you as close to a 'caveman' or hunter-gatherer diet as is practical in this modern world. Meats, fish, NO dairy (unfortunately...I LOVE cheese!), Almost all fruits, most vegetables excluding the more highly developed starchy stuff like white potatoes. The premise being it was what was consumed by ALL humans prior to about 10,000 years ago........So.......the diet from, say 2-million BC to about 8000 BC (keeping in mind a few are STILL hunter-gatherers.....). Supposed to be what we're most hardwired to consume. Obviously stuff like corn and most grains would be excluded. Bye-bye to highly-refined flours and corn sugars. Bye to most sweets excluding fruit of course.........and a little honey.

Thoughts?

Old 07-05-2012, 02:41 PM
first today
Postmaster

My helper is currently doing the aspen diet. He has been going for two months and has lost 30 pounds so far.

It is like Steve said. No rice, pasta, dairy, bread, dressings, condiments, fried foods, or potatos. He has a bible of all the chain restaurants with each ones menus. It shows the calories and carbs for each item.

I could not do what he has done. They have taken all the enjoyment out of food. They are re teaching him how to eat and the size of portions he takes in. They also give prescriptions to aid in his weight loss.

His brother is the editor of one of the muscle magazines. All he does is workout all day to stay in shape and keep lean. He told Todd that these clinics were a waste of time and that you can not lose weight without working out. Robbie was very shocked to hear how well Todd has done so far without working out. I am wondering if the weight will stay off once he stops with Aspen. A few people I know that have stopped taking weight loss medication, put it back on plus some rather rapidly.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:54 PM
Greywolf
Fleet Owner
On a related note-

The majority of "Muscular Soreness" experienced after working out is related to LACTIC ACID levels built up in the muscle fibers.

In persuing the course that I did years ago, I became sensitive to "PRE-CURSORS". I became aware, in other words, of the building blocks from which the things my body made came from.

A precursor to ATP for example (Adenosine Tri- Phosphate) was potassium, and I found that "Light Salt" was a salt sub that used POTASSIUM CHLORIDE in place of SODIUM CHLORIDE to give it a salt flavor...

Logically, once broken down by the body it would be a good source of potassium. I found that a shaker of it lasted me several months - even if I used it for POTASSIUM LOADING (round about a full teaspoon full per day)

Back on track:

For LACTIC ACID to form in the muscles, LACTOSE itself had to be present.

Are you ready for this one?

LACTOSE is a primary constituant of plain old ordinary MILK
This is true of whole milk, pasteurised, low fat, non fat, and even powdered dry milk

So guess what...

Lay off the milk - lose the lactic acids to a high degree
-Thus endeth much of the muscle soreness

~Wolfie sendezzz

*NOTE: In homeopathy, that soreness is sought out to cause the body to build up so as to combat it.
~Pick a direction, and go there. You can load milk (and thus: Lactose into your body just to produce the sore feeling)

I have never really confirmed the usefulness of pain avoidance one way or the other, it's opposite being pain seeking. But I remember having big jars of acetominophen, and ibuprophen in order to "Conduct business as usual". Had I known about Naproxen Sodium, I'd have abused that too

*NOTE 2: Acetominophen is contra-indicated if you are a drinker, or have liver problems. It gives the liver a hard time, which is a bad thing