1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attention New York Diesel Owners.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts
Attention New York Diesel Owners.....

Maybe this is already known but when I scheduled my inspection yesterday the mechanic asked me "Gas or Diesel" which I replied gas. He then proceeded to tell me that as of some date I believe in July Diesels under 10,000lbs will be subject to full emmissions testing. The other part is they are requiring the testing on all diesels back to 1996 when OBD came out!!! So those with all the emmission delete stuff I hope you can get it put back on for the inspections!!

Old 06-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Probably just a OBD-2 code check

Old 06-29-2012, 08:06 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
He seemed to say similar to gas emissions testing. I think there may be s visual inspection too. I will ask morr when i go on Tuesday. And if that means just a code check then not bad. But he seemed to make it out like it was going to cause tons of problems.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
It wont be "similar to gas testing"

Gas motor testing is fairly extensive. Even here in CA they barely pop the hood on a diesel.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM
tiny1
Moderator & CL
Received 306 Likes on 281 Posts
Just did a search and I think that this is what this is about. Here is the link to the entire brochure. NYS DMV - (Brochure) New York State Vehicle Safety/Emissions Inspection Program for Cars and Light Trucks

On-Board Diagnostics - Version II (OBDII) Inspection. The emissions inspection for vehicles registered anywhere in New York State includes an "OBDII" (on-board diagnostics) test for vehicles that weigh 8,500 lbs. or less, and are model year 1996 or newer. Part of this test examines the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL), also known as the "check engine" light, for operation/illumination, and verifies the test results of the vehicle's "on-board emissions diagnostic" system.

Low Enhanced Inspection. A "Low Enhanced" emissions inspection is required for most other vehicles, unless they are subject to the OBDII test or are exempt from all emissions inspections. This inspection is required for all vehicles from and including model year 1995 and older, through and including vehicles that are up to 25 model years old, and that weigh 18,000 lbs. or less.

What the Emissions Inspection Includes

Each emissions inspection confirms the presence and connection of the vehicle's required emissions control devices. This includes making sure that the vehicle's gas cap is present, is in good condition, and fits properly.

The emissions control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them. The vehicle model years affected are indicated below.

Catalytic converter (CAT) - all model years
Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - all model years
Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - all model years
Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer
Evaporative emissions control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer
Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer
Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer

You can help your vehicle pass an emissions inspection by keeping it properly maintained. If the vehicle's Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL, or "check engine" light) indicates there may be a malfunction or other problem, have the vehicle properly repaired. A well maintained, properly functioning vehicle uses less fuel and creates less exhaust emissions.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 AM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Ive read this and I think that's not including the latest update as it still talks about emissions in only certain parts of NYand diesel engines being exempt in most cases. This is not what my guy told me and I do not live anywhere near NYC.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:26 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
What Neil found says "Most vehicles with diesel engines are also exempt. However, diesel-powered vehicles that are registered at more than 8,500 lbs. and are registered in the New York Metropolitan Area (NYMA) counties of Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Westchester, or one of the five counties within New York City, are subject to annual emissions inspection. All diesel-powered vehicles over 8,500 lbs. maximum gross weight (MGW) operated in New York State, even if registered elsewhere, are subject to roadside inspections. These safety and equipment inspections are conducted randomly statewide by the New York State Police and the New York State Department of Transportation." This data was last updated on the Internet on 04/2011, so it's somewhat old.

If you're not in those areas (I am), your inspection guy might be misinformed.

My V10 is over 8500 lbs, not OBD-II compliant, and for the past two years hasn't had to get emissions inspected. Just safety. I wonder if these changes mean I will need to get a sniffer test done, like it was in the past. Not that I'm worried about it, it'll pass with flying colors

I suspect that since the diesels are all over 8500 lbs, they didn't come with OBD-II compliance in the first place, so this is all a dead issue.