2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow - Gibson - MBRP

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Magnaflow - Gibson - MBRP

Ok, a cat-back kit is on the short list. Dual, rear exit, and I'm trying for split side exit really. All 3 kits are stainless (409 pipes with 304 tips) and keeping in line with my theme, I will be painting the pipes and tips flat black prior to installation.

So:
1) Magnaflow 16520 (split rear exit - would have to get custom bends for split side)

2) Gibson 9008

3) MBRP S5204409

2 and 3 are leaders of the pack since they are both ready to be installed as split side exits (behind the rear tires). 1 is the most popular choice by far. I want little to no drone, and I don't need it to scream, just want a nice mellow deeper than stock sound. Also, all three kits are priced within $50 of one another, and right on target for what I plan to spend.

Let me know your thoughts - pros and cons.
Thanks.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:04 PM
danorules
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mbrp all the way Chandler!

Mine is 3 years old and I still love it. I would make the same choice again if needed

Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
IMHo, forget the kits and just go to a local shop....the stainless pipe is soooo thin! Even with their "warranty", I wouldn't....

Old 06-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
My choice between Gibson and MBRP is MBRP. The Gibson is a little loud for my taste. MBRP and Magna-Flow have that perfect sound.

Old 06-28-2012, 07:43 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by danorules
Mbrp all the way Chandler!

Mine is 3 years old and I still love it. I would make the same choice again if needed
I knew you'd chime in Dano. Im leaning on the MBRP even though its the most pricey. Im starting to hear more and more that the MBRP is more mellow than I thought.

Originally Posted by Beechkid
IMHo, forget the kits and just go to a local shop....the stainless pipe is soooo thin! Even with their "warranty", I wouldn't....
Nope not again. Had a shop do my V8 Explorer and it was without mandrel bends and with aluminized pipe it was only good for 5 years in our VA climate. Thanks though.

Originally Posted by Greg B
My choice between Gibson and MBRP is MBRP. The Gibson is a little loud for my taste. MBRP and Magna-Flow have that perfect sound.
Good to gain some info on Gibson. I know they make a good product but I had not seen many reviews. They make two kits...Extreme and this one I noted. Extreme is the louder more burley kit and the one I noted is described as mellow on their site.

Still on the fence. I have to get this right the first time since im traveling more these days and the wife and I take the Ox just about as much as her Acura. It cannot cab drone on me and im past the days of waking up my neighbors. I want a little bark....not a full out growl.

Keep 'em coming!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:13 AM
60DRB
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the aluminized Gibson piping on my previous truck. It was on for about 15 years with no rust issues whatsoever. That was in central Texas.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Coskid
Postmaster
Chandler hit up the guys at 4Wheel they price me up a cat back system with mandrel bends done in their shop for about the same cost as one of these kits. But I would lean towards the Gibson or the MRBP as I am unhappy with the sound from my magnaflow.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:32 AM
danorules
Postmaster
Old 06-29-2012, 11:29 AM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by danorules

Old 06-29-2012, 05:45 PM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Ok, a cat-back kit is on the short list. Dual, rear exit, and I'm trying for split side exit really. All 3 kits are stainless (409 pipes with 304 tips) and keeping in line with my theme, I will be painting the pipes and tips flat black prior to installation.

So:
1) Magnaflow 16520 (split rear exit - would have to get custom bends for split side)

2) Gibson 9008

3) MBRP S5204409

2 and 3 are leaders of the pack since they are both ready to be installed as split side exits (behind the rear tires). 1 is the most popular choice by far. I want little to no drone, and I don't need it to scream, just want a nice mellow deeper than stock sound. Also, all three kits are priced within $50 of one another, and right on target for what I plan to spend.

Let me know your thoughts - pros and cons.
Thanks.
I ended up going with the MBRP S5204409 on my 05 Screw FX4. I was deciding between MBRP and Magnaflow. I liked the dual side exit behind the rear tires and for the price I found the MBRP for, I tried it. It sounds awesome on start up and acceleration. There is a little cab noise at high rpm's but thats expected. I did find something a few months after i installed the MBRP that said the sound was "aggressive". I tow a 6000 lb trailer once a month and when the rpms wind up, it is a little loud. Other than that I am real pleased with the MBRP cat back exhaust. When towing I am averaging 10.5 mpg so i wonder if this exhaust helped with that a llittle.

Good luck with your choice, but I would highly recommend the MBRP.

CaptFX4

Old 06-29-2012, 07:19 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CaptFX4
I ended up going with the MBRP S5204409 on my 05 Screw FX4. I was deciding between MBRP and Magnaflow. I liked the dual side exit behind the rear tires and for the price I found the MBRP for, I tried it. It sounds awesome on start up and acceleration. There is a little cab noise at high rpm's but thats expected. I did find something a few months after i installed the MBRP that said the sound was "aggressive". I tow a 6000 lb trailer once a month and when the rpms wind up, it is a little loud. Other than that I am real pleased with the MBRP cat back exhaust. When towing I am averaging 10.5 mpg so i wonder if this exhaust helped with that a llittle.

Good luck with your choice, but I would highly recommend the MBRP.

CaptFX4
Stellar review from a truck very similar to mine. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I much appreciate it. I expect a little high RPM noise...as that's the point right? What I don't want, and thus the reason for the questions, is cruising speed cab drone and I'm pleased to hear that you are reporting very little of that.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:32 PM
Gundown64
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the Magnaflows I have heard. They tend to have that deep rumble to them that you expect a truck to have, but of course that varies from truck to truck. Can't comment on the others as I don't know for sure what they sound like and I have Flowmasters. Their are lots of trucks around my parts with aftermarket exhaust, but of course, you can't tell what they have without asking them personally. Anyway, that wasn't really helpful, but have you looked around on YouTube? Not the best but at least you get to hear different brands and setups.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:03 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Thank for the YouTube suggestion but I've been there done that. Too many variables honestly. I guess you could make that argument here too. I care less about outside noise as my main focus is lack of cabin noise/drone and the exit position that im after.

Looks like there might be a clear winner here but keep the feedback coming.

Old 06-29-2012, 09:52 PM
CaptFX4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MCDavis
Stellar review from a truck very similar to mine. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I much appreciate it. I expect a little high RPM noise...as that's the point right? What I don't want, and thus the reason for the questions, is cruising speed cab drone and I'm pleased to hear that you are reporting very little of that.

No problem.

When I run 65 or 70 (speed limit) and my rpms are around 1800 - 2000, with the radio at a normal level, I don't hear the pipes. If I go to pull a hill and it downshifts, then I hear them.

If you lived around the Columbus Ohio area I'd let ya take my truck for a spin to see. I went blindly into this and asked for advice/opinions as well and got the same answers, one likes Magnaflow, one likes Flowmaster etc. I jumped in, bought the MBRP and never looked back.

CaptFX4

Old 06-29-2012, 10:51 PM
MCDavis
Hotshot
Originally Posted by CaptFX4
No problem.

When I run 65 or 70 (speed limit) and my rpms are around 1800 - 2000, with the radio at a normal level, I don't hear the pipes. If I go to pull a hill and it downshifts, then I hear them.

If you lived around the Columbus Ohio area I'd let ya take my truck for a spin to see. I went blindly into this and asked for advice/opinions as well and got the same answers, one likes Magnaflow, one likes Flowmaster etc. I jumped in, bought the MBRP and never looked back.

CaptFX4
Good to know.
My big thing will be the wife's reaction. She's not a gear head and hated the Flowmaster 50 series I had on my V8 Explorer. Also I occasionally have clients and coworkers with me on site visits so it has to be compliant on the ears.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow - Gibson - MBRP