1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Spra-Tool and Por15

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 06:53 AM
rbalsinger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spra-Tool and Por15

I know there are lots of opinions about Por15 but this is just about using it with a gadget that speeds up application without the hassle of getting your nice gravity fed spray gun gummed up.

I just couldn't sleep getting ready to spray the radiator support with Por15. All the prep and cleaning Of the support was done and the thought of trying to get every last atom of Por15 out of my air compressor driven spray gun was too concerning for me. I began to look at alternatives, rejected all that brushing and then found Spra_Tool at Eastwood.

It is a system that allows you to aerosol any liquid including paints. There are three tips included allowing for fine, medium or heavy application. The propellant can attaches to the hardware that holds the Jar of paint and just like that you are spraying.

The kit that I received had a faulty medium tip. The fine was really super fine and it sprayed like an air brush. The heavy was great for coverage with the Por15 but had more overspray than I would have prefered but did the job well. Me and Goldilocks think the medium would have been just right if it had functioned.

The Por 15 required no thinning and filling the jar once allowed me to paint the entire support with 2+ coats, get all the edges and double up on the interior corners with a drab left over.

The Pros:

$12 per kit for not running the Por15 through my gun was worth it. The heavy tip worked fine and would be great for frame or back side of body panels spray jobs. The propellant lasted well. I used about a whole can for the multi coat job here although I swapped cans as the propellant became very cold with extended use. This was much better finish and coverage than brushing.

The Cons:

Boy am I glad I didn't use my spray gun. Cleanup was a mess and never completed well. The por 15 is like glue as it starts to cure. Por15 is not cheap nor easy but neither is my sister and I like her well enough. At $12 for the Spra-Tool, I tossed it after I was done with this job. Then i ordered another for the frame job. The solvent sold for Por15 seemed to soften the tips as they soaked for cleaning.

The jar cleaned ok and the attaching hardware seems ok also but the dip tube looked suspicious.

I thought finish was ok for this job.

I will use this setup again. The tool would be great for any water based liquids. I think it is a bargain at $12.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:14 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Reps to you - excellent writeup and a terrific tip.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Stangrcr1
Posting Guru
Nice!

Think there is something out there like this that would use regular compressed air?

Old 06-27-2012, 09:58 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by WilleyJoe.62
Reps to you - excellent writeup and a terrific tip.
Yep, I rep'd you as well. Good job!

Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Nice!

Think there is something out there like this that would use regular compressed air?
I'm wondering the same thing. Would love to use my compressor instead of propellent. I wonder if we could rig something. And, I wonder what pressure the propellent is under.

In any event, I really appreciate the post. I'm a big-time Eastwood fan and have spent several hours in their store in Pa - both the new one and the one they were in originally. But, I hadn't seen the Spra_Tool even in their catalog.

And, I have the same reservation as you about running POR through my gun. That stuff sets up like a rock and I've been afraid I'd not get all of it out. So, your post is like finding gold. Thanks!

Old 06-28-2012, 02:19 AM
rbalsinger
Senior User
Originally Posted by Stangrcr1
Nice!

Thanks to all for the reps. I'm glad to offer something for all the help I get here.

Eastwood does have this at $65 but you lose the disposability. (We can pretend that is a word, can't we?)

Rob

Enlarge product image

Undercoating Gun and 2 Hoses & Bottle

Item #20441
In Stock - Ready to Ship Today
Components Price: $68.98
Only $64.99

You Save $3.99

Rustproof like a pro—Undercoating Gun makes applying undercoating materials as easy as pulling a trigger

Undercoating Gun Kit comes in very handy when you need to apply our Heavy-Duty Anti-Rust, Rubberized Undercoating and Spray-on Bedliners.

• Rustproof inside rocker panels, inner fenders and other closed box sections
  • Two 24" flexible wands each have straight and 90-degree spray tips
  • Requires 40-60 psi @ 5-6 cfm

3 Review(s) | Add Your Review

<fieldset id="" class="add-to-cart"> <label for="qty">Qty:</label> <input class="input-text qty" name="qty" id="qty" maxlength="12" value="1" type="text">$64.99

<input class="btn-submit" src="http://www.eastwood.com/skin/frontend/eastwood-ent/eastwood-new-theme/images/btn_buy-now.gif" alt="Add to Cart" type="image"> </fieldset>

Old 06-28-2012, 04:26 AM
CountryBumkin
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can also get "throw away" spray guns from Northern Tools and Harbor Frieght. I bought two high pressure (60-70psi) air spray guns at $15 each just for spraying Por15 - with the intent to just throw away the guns after use rather than trying to clean.

Did you thin the POR 15? (They sell a thinner for spraying purposes).

Old 06-28-2012, 08:45 AM
rbalsinger
Senior User
Originally Posted by CountryBumkin

Did you thin the POR15? (They sell a thinner for spraying purposes).
The Spra-Tool directions said most paint viscosities are covered by the tip selections so I tried them and never saw the need to thin. The Por15 directions recommend only a 5% maximum thinning.

I used their solvent (xylene) for cleanup but as the curing begins the solvent becomes less effective.

Rob

Old 07-05-2012, 08:52 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Looks like this thread generated a lot of interest in Spra-Tool - I went to finalize my order with Eastwood, and they're out of stock until perhaps July 19.

But, I found these guys, CSP Outdoors. The have Spra-Tools in stock, they're quite a bit cheaper, and I paid via PayPal.

Search

Old 07-05-2012, 09:26 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Looks like this thread generated a lot of interest in Spra-Tool - I went to finalize my order with Eastwood, and they're out of stock until perhaps July 19.

But, I found these guys, CSP Outdoors. The have Spra-Tools in stock, they're quite a bit cheaper, and I paid via PayPal.

Search
Cool! Or, as the Brit's would say, well-spotted. I'm an Eastwood fan, but don't see a need to give them money when I can get it cheaper elsewhere. Thanks.

EDIT: I forgot to ask, is there a version with a soft button? I've heard that you can get sore fingers from using these products and I need to protect my delicate pinkies.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:22 PM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
LOL

It's only available in the Ford Tough version.

I got two, one for the undercoating on my frame, and the other to repaint the bed, plus two extra cans of propellant. $39 all in with shipping.

Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
LOL

It's only available in the Ford Tough version.

I got two, one for the undercoating on my frame, and the other to repaint the bed, plus two extra cans of propellant. $39 all in with shipping.
I look forward to the update on how that goes. Undercoating is THICK stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how that system sprays it.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 AM
rbalsinger
Senior User

Search
Outstanding. Reps 2U. I ordered from CSP as well. This is their moment to shine. Thanks for the Search. I think I will use the saved bucks for something cold, in a can and well brewed.
PS. I got a new truck at work

Freightliner Cascadia 15140 lbs fueled, 485 HP, 10 Speed with Super Single drives. Wouldn't want to drive to California in it but is a huge improvement over the Transtar I had before.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:31 AM
WilleyJoe.62
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
I look forward to the update on how that goes. Undercoating is THICK stuff, so it'll be interesting to see how that system sprays it.
rbalsinger sprayed uncut POR15 through it, so my follow-up on the Festus thread will be using the Spra-Tool with Chassis Saver and Magnet Paints epoxy paint.

Originally Posted by rbalsinger
Outstanding. Reps 2U. I ordered from CSP as well. This is their moment to shine. Thanks for the Search. I think I will use the saved bucks for something cold, in a can and well brewed.
PS. I got a new truck at work

Freightliner Cascadia 15140 lbs fueled, 485 HP, 10 Speed with Super Single drives. Wouldn't want to drive to California in it but is a huge improvement over the Transtar I had before.
MIGHTY fine! Is it already undercoated?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:54 PM
rbalsinger
Senior User
rbalsinger sprayed uncut POR15 through it, so my follow-up on the Festus thread will be using the Spra-Tool with Chassis Saver and Magnet Paints epoxy paint.
The Por15 is practically water thin right from the can. You might already know that but I thought it relevant to mention for anyone who has not worked with it.

At that low viscosity it flows into every crack and crevice of your surface rather than coating the miniscule air pockets where rust can continue its insidious evil deeds. Applying over all but the flakiest rust is fine but you want any surface to be dry, dry and degreased.

Old 07-06-2012, 03:13 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rbalsinger
...where rust can continue its insidious evil deeds.
Only if there is air and water present can rust grow, but I agree with filling in all those nooks & crannies.

Quick Reply: Spra-Tool and Por15