1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infant Car seats for 05 F350 CC

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 04:27 PM
adbscu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infant Car seats for 05 F350 CC

expecting our first child in about 4 weeks and we are starting to prepare our vehicles. As far as i understand SD don't really have a latch system and require normal seatbelts: any tips/advices?

we are just going to get 2 bases (for Chicco system) and leave them permanently in our 12' Explorer (super easy install with the latch) and in the F350. Won't even try it in my BMW 3series....

We have 05 F350 King Ranch (bench seat).

Old 06-26-2012, 07:02 PM
meathead1134
New User
Not all vehicles have the latch system. After a certain date I think it was mandated for all new vechicles in USA the to have the latch system. I've got a 06 F350 CC king ranch. I've got a toddler seat on 1 side and a child seat in the other. With the infant seat your best bet is to put a towel down on the leather seat. Next put the base in but here is the key. Kneel on the base as you tighten the seat belt back into the retractor. The car seat base should not move much if at all. If you are really not sure go to your local Police department or fire department they are trained in the proper installation of putting these in vehicles. With the toddler seat I do the same thing but I kneel in the car seat itself and retract the seatbelt back in the retractor. Congrads on up coming new arrival.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Flyinstroke
Elder User
They sell some seat covers at target to protect the leather seats from the car seats. They are pretty good and handy. I can't remember what they were called they were a gift. They cover just under the car seat. But before I had those I also used towels.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:29 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
x2 on the seat covers. My Lariat rear seat leather still looks great under that cover. It keeps the car seat bases from marking it up, plus with the kids making all the mess that they do in the back (and the dog as well) it just makes sense. I think we just bought a cover from PetsMart or similar. Wish my front seats still looked as good!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:20 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by meathead1134
With the infant seat your best bet is to put a towel down on the leather seat. Next put the base in but here is the key. Kneel on the base as you tighten the seat belt back into the retractor. The car seat base should not move much if at all. If you are really not sure go to your local Police department or fire department they are trained in the proper installation of putting these in vehicles. With the toddler seat I do the same thing but I kneel in the car seat itself and retract the seatbelt back in the retractor. Congrads on up coming new arrival.
x2. My 2010 has the rear clip behind the seat, but not the two brackets between the seat and seat back. IMO, it is the worst decision Ford made in my truck. So you'll have to use the seat belt. Put your weight into it and things will be fine.

Congrats on the kiddo. My two kids have been a blessing, and they love my truck!

Old 06-26-2012, 10:21 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Target and Walmart sell leather covers for carseats. About $20 each. Great invention

Put the carseat in the center section of rear seat. The lap belt is easiest to get tight. Put the base in, kneel in the base, tighten seatbelt as much as you physically can. Wiggle. If it moves, repeat until base is firm.

Put carseat in base. Check that the "level" lines are horizontal with ground. If not, loosen base and put a rolled up towel under offending edge. Tighten.

I personally like having children in center of seat. It's farthest from doors in event of t-bone.

Secondly, I shoot for carseats on passenger door. You almost always park with pass side to a curb. This provides a shielded area for wife/yourself to get bulky damn carseats out of vehicle without fear of getting clipped by moronic drivers

Good luck. I've got 4, 3 still in carseats in my truck. It's been an interesting ride

Old 06-28-2012, 11:30 AM
powerstroke72
Super Moderator
Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts
Not all vehicles have the latch system. After a certain date I think it was mandated for all new vechicles in USA the to have the latch system. I've got a 06 F350 CC king ranch. I've got a toddler seat on 1 side and a child seat in the other. With the infant seat your best bet is to put a towel down on the leather seat. Next put the base in but here is the key. Kneel on the base as you tighten the seat belt back into the retractor. The car seat base should not move much if at all. If you are really not sure go to your local Police department or fire department they are trained in the proper installation of putting these in vehicles. With the toddler seat I do the same thing but I kneel in the car seat itself and retract the seatbelt back in the retractor. Congrads on up coming new arrival.
Originally Posted by onug
x2. My 2010 has the rear clip behind the seat, but not the two brackets between the seat and seat back. IMO, it is the worst decision Ford made in my truck. So you'll have to use the seat belt. Put your weight into it and things will be fine.

Congrats on the kiddo. My two kids have been a blessing, and they love my truck!
X3. My '11 doesn't have the LATCH system either and thankfully mine are now out of booster seats. In my '05, I used the exact same method meathead mentioned above. And ditto the recommendation about going to the local PD or FD as many of those folks are trained to properly install the safety seats.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:39 PM
JPA76
Junior User
Don.t make your carseats super tight. It will transfer more energy to their body. Supposed to have a little slack. I have 1 in a toddler seat and 1 in a booster seat. If you can find a good deal on a Britax get it. They are top of the line in safety and quality. Enjoy the little 1 while you can.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:49 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I hate that the rear center seat in the CC doesn't have the ratcheting seat belt...

Old 06-28-2012, 04:12 PM
VONxRUBENxLA
Elder User
just use the seat belt how it tells you on the base. i have 2 kids now both are out of the infant seats. 1 is in the booster and the other in a front facing seat no problems at all

Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM
idealcarp
New User
infant seat

I have an 08 350 extended cab, will an infant seat fit on the rear bench?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM
grec-o-face
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroke72
... I used the exact same method meathead mentioned above. And ditto the recommendation about going to the local PD or FD as many of those folks are trained to properly install the safety seats.
EXACTLY!!!

It's important that you follow the directions and kneel down on the seat (or base) with your weight while strapping it in. It may require two people - one to hold the seat belt in an extracted position while you thread the belt through the seat. In my case, the belt ends up being backwards (NOT TWISTED) when it enters the buckle.

And I recommend using a towel also.

You can see how I folded the towel a few times on the rear side of the seat to support - adjust the height/level of the seat.