FYI: Source for new windshield sun visors

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 07:56 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
FYI: Source for new windshield sun visors

Hey guys (and gals),

Lund used to make visors for dentsides. A few weeks ago I found another source for new 73-79 visors like the one pictured below.:

The cost is only $100 each. However, shipping is another matter - around $75 to the west coast but of course cheaper if you liver close to western PA. The owner said he can fit up to three visors in one box since it's the size of the box, not the weight, that drives the cost. Partner up and save.

Here's the info:
Scofield's Truck Accessories
19 Lake Road
Hadley, PA. 16130

Phone: 724-253-2623 (9-5 eastern)
Fax: 814-724-7496
Cell: 814-282-2272 (After 5 pm)
Email: scofieldsta@zoominternet.net
Web: Scofield's Truck Accessories - Moonvisors & Sunvisors - Hadley, PA

Disclaimer! Consider this an public service announcement cuz I haven't ordered one so I have no input on its quality... But I figure I'd turn yall onto it so ya have less of an issue of fitting/adapting an 80-96 version. Your call.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
ahh, the "moon visor," so called for no apparently reason at all. lol. The old man look thats been rusting out roofs for so many decades.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:21 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by hasteranger
ahh, the "moon visor," so called for no apparently reason at all. lol. The old man look thats been rusting out roofs for so many decades.
I say to to each his own. But it's the quality and workmanship of installation/engineering that determines whether it creates rust or not. Most will cheap out and just use whatever is in the package or whatever is handy.. bad idea. Personally, I would use aluminum nutserts, stainless hardware, a dab of RTV, and neoprene washers to stave off rust.

Objectively, lemme give ya my take/experience of rust problems with these trucks:

1. Rear wheel arch. Ford had the "excellent" idea of welding in the rear wheel well liner. Ever look closely at that assembly? The liner creates a loose sandwich creates and little pockets where pebbles and mud gets packed in and never really dries out. Plus, the drain holes are too few and too small.

2. Roof rust. Even without a windshield visor, peeps get rusty roof rails. I parked the 73 in my side yard when I was reviving it. The headliner was in good condition. Then all of a sudden it started warping.. WTF? I pulled it off the headliner and found the underside of the roof panel was full of condensation!! The condensation either drips onto the headliner or dribbles down the curved sides of the roof and collects on the roof to door frame mating surface... and it eventually it rusts out. Think of a cold beer on a warm day... the air temp in the cab was cooler than the outside air temp. I deduce this is what causes roof rail rust on so many of these trucks - my 70 included. The problem? A lack of insulation to mediate the air temp differential.

Solution? I sprayed bedliner into the roof rails then stuffed household fiberglass insulation into the inaccessible areas. I also glued a thick pad of automotive insulation to the underside of the roof.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yeah there are ways to prevent it, but over time it seems like the roof likes to rust around where those holes are. And it also seems like no matter how you seal it, the water dribbles its way down to the windshield header.

At the very least, put silicone on the screws that come with it when you install it!

as for the wheel arches, yeah I've torn apart the beds so I've seen them from the inside out, its a terrible design.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:43 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Solution? I sprayed bedliner into the roof rails then stuffed household fiberglass insulation into the inaccessible areas. I also glued a thick pad of automotive insulation to the underside of the roof.
I stuffed pink fiberglass insulation into the roof of my 74 F100 in 1994. It was actually my dad's idea and he did the same when he bought his 73 F100 brand new back in the day.

Josh

Old 06-26-2012, 08:42 AM
82GT
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hasteranger
ahh, the "moon visor," so called for no apparently reason at all.

The moon visor had lights in it, the sun visor, no lights

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM
NBC-Steve
Fleet Mechanic
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
I still have the factory insulation in my headliner. Its a loose fit but its there, I will glue it in place after the paint job.