1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

math gurus, car hauler experts and people smarter than me

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 05:53 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would guess my first question is why the heck do you need a trailer that your truck will fit on? - That being said, I would combine Ilia and BobJ's posts and go from there
Definitely a no-no to weight load the back of the trailer

Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
if only I had your money Bob
j
I don't even have my money, there are plenty of people lined up to take it faster than I can make it.

I bought my trailer after I herited a few bucks from my mom's estate. I looked around a long time before buying. I started looking at used ones. I found out car trailers don't lose much of their value but they do get beat up. I found a few decent used ones for around $1000+ but the wiring was getting bad and the tires had seen better days. I then looked at new ones, starting at around $1300, most of those wouldn't have been able to handle the loads I figured I'd drag around. I looked at my current trailer and thought at $2700 it was a bit pricey and continued to look around only to end coming back and buying mine. It was the best $2700 I've ever spent. Usually I am an tight wad and suffer buyer's remorse on any big ticket item I buy but not with this trailer. I knew I could use it a few times and sell it and still get most of my money back. I've had it for around 7 years and it's paid for itself 3 times over. I've not only carted around my trucks and parts trucks but I've also hauled around my friends' vehicle and many times it's been called into service to haul broken down vehicles for family and friends that would have cost $100-200 to have towed home. I've also used it to tranport business related machinery and equiptment. I built wooden sides that fit into the pockets on the sides and have used it to move households and landscaping supplies. My kid uses it now to haul hay for his cows.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:08 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I would guess my first question is why the heck do you need a trailer that your truck will fit on? - That being said, I would combine Ilia and BobJ's posts and go from there
Definitely a no-no to weight load the back of the trailer
Just for the record, my trucks are never on my trailer unless they aren't able to move under their own power, which isn't very often, or I'm going a great distance and I know my time is limited and my butt isn't up to take a five hour drive in a buckboard. No trailer queens here.

Even if a person isn't planning on a trailer queen it's nice to know you have a trailer just in case. It's nice to know you have the option.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:50 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2008-01-1228.pdf

Bob - The why question was of John - Maybe it's been so long since he started on it that he forgot they are supposed to be driven

Old 06-23-2012, 06:55 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
http://delphi.com/pdf/techpapers/2008-01-1228.pdf

Bob - The why question was of John - Maybe it's been so long since he started on it that he forgot they are supposed to be driven
Yeah, Dick, I realized that. Just with all my blabbing about my trailer and my trucks I just wanted to make it clear my trucks are trailer queens.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:17 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Yeah, Dick, I realized that. Just with all my blabbing about my trailer and my trucks I just wanted to make it clear my trucks are trailer queens.
You better re read this

Old 06-23-2012, 09:58 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
You better re read this
You got me, that's "AREN'T"

Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
John,
I was going to pitch in my 2 cents here with some witty smart-alek comment, but, I got nothing. I even went back and reread your post and looked at your artwork......nothing. I thought about taking the road where a truck that's been redesigned numerous times and constantly in a state of being torn down and reworked and might be torn down and reworked a few more times doesn't really need to be trailered. Or if it did it the pieces could be carted around on a much smaller trailer, but, no. that just didn't seem right. I then thought that I might angle in some snide remark on the artwork, but, again, nothing really came to mind.
So, in the end, I elected to just toss out a bunch of nonsensical BS just to hear myself talk (well, ok, just to hear my fingers tappity-tap on the keyboard).

Good luck on the trailer decision. I wish I had a good tandem trailer and a good place to park one.

Bobby

Old 06-24-2012, 02:35 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
bobby....

thanks for that... I think nothing like reverse encouragement using non negative language... Eventually... not today... not next week but eventually this truck IS going to be finished (who you gonna pick on then ) and even though driving it is the main objective... there are places I want to take it that are several hundred miles away and I will want alternative transportation while they are stacking the trophies around it, doing the magazine shoot... and shooting the Hooters commercial with all the numerous takes that will entail. After all ... it's difficult for a Hooter's girl to simultaniously look amazing, pose properly and say "Our wings are as hot as John's truck" ya know ??

hence the need for the trailer and another besides... ole Bob might need a carry for one of his road queens when I see him broke down somewhere...

carry on Bobby... carry on

john

Old 06-24-2012, 04:29 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
John,

I'm all for having a trailer, trailer queen or not. I wanted one for years. I would have to borrow trailers, some bad, some great, but there was always something wrong, no ramps, lights didn't work or some other problem. Almost every time I borrowed a trailer I ended up doing some kind of work to it. I found it amazing other people would borrow these trailers and return them in need of repair. I never returned a friend's trailer in worse condition than when I got and can't understand why other would. I've repaired wiring in at least 3 trailers and had to reconstruct the suspension on one side on another. I even repainted the fenders on one trailer after I put a minor scratch in an already scratched up and rusty fender so it was returned in better condition than when I got it.

I rarely leave anyone use my trailer, I usually talk them into paying for my gas and a non MacDonalds meal for me driving with them to get whatever vehicle they're going after. I know I can handle the trailer with a load, not so sure about anyone else though.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:44 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
John,
I rarely leave anyone use my trailer, I usually talk them into paying for my gas and a non MacDonalds meal for me driving with them to get whatever vehicle they're going after. I know I can handle the trailer with a load, not so sure about anyone else though.
What he said. I've had people wanting to borrow mine who had no brake controller.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:37 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I always thought the worst part of having a car trailer was keeping it a secret enough so you wouldn't be hit up weekly from people wanting use (abuse) it.

Old 06-25-2012, 08:32 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,838 Likes on 1,837 Posts
I built a 6' x 10' utility trailer years ago. Its been one of the handiest things ever and I regularly lend it out. Right about the same time, I sold my pick-up and bought a Suburban. One of the best things about this combination is that I rarely if ever have to help anyone move. I can just lend them the trailer.

Bobby

Old 06-25-2012, 09:11 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by raytasch
What he said. I've had people wanting to borrow mine who had no brake controller.
That's how I ended up with my '37 Buick project. My neighbor wanted to use my trailer to pick up a car in Peoria, IL. I was going to let him use because in the past he let me use his trailer, it wrecked in a fire since. He came by my house to pick the trailer up and he didn't have a brake hook up in his electrical system. I drove down with my truck and when we saw the Buick he started bugging to buy. Very long story and I ended up buying it.

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
I always thought the worst part of having a car trailer was keeping it a secret enough so you wouldn't be hit up weekly from people wanting use (abuse) it.
I lent out tools and a utility trailer before and they have always come back wrecked. I usually didn't find out until a few weeks later when I went to use them and when I asked the reply was "I was going to tell you when you noticed it."

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I built a 6' x 10' utility trailer years ago. Its been one of the handiest things ever and I regularly lend it out. Right about the same time, I sold my pick-up and bought a Suburban. One of the best things about this combination is that I rarely if ever have to help anyone move. I can just lend them the trailer.

Bobby
See my reasoning above. I would rather ride shot gun and make sure my stuff doesn't get abused.

Old 06-26-2012, 02:28 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Needing the hitch hookup for the equalizer bars and sway control as well as the larger size ball and brake controller was usually enough to discourage most borrowers. Not having many friends also reduces the requests to borrow
Now my ex getting the trailer in the divorce has relieved me of having to say no entirely.
Trailer prices have come down significantly in the last 5 years, especially if you can go to IN or GA and pick it up. I saw new 20' enclosed trailers selling for 3500.00 on ebay. I found the 24' I had before a lot more trailer than I really needed, 18' would have been enough if I didn't have to put in all the amenities the ex wanted.