1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Centering stock steering wheel in a 56 F-100

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 10:17 AM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Centering stock steering wheel in a 56 F-100

I have a 56, that uses the stock steering wheel,column, and stock straight axel front end. The previous owner added a ram power steering cylinder system to it, but never centered the steering wheel. It's off about a 1/3 of a turn. When driving straight down the road, one of the steering wheel spokes is pointing straight up. I would like to reposition the steering wheel correctly. So here are some questions...

1. Is it possible to simply pull the steering wheel, and install it back on the correct position, or are these steering wheels "keyed" to the shaft?

2. Or would it be better to set the front wheels straight ahead, disconnect the drag link/valve set, and then reposition the wheel to the center, found by counting the total turns? Then re-install the pittman arm and drag link.

I have never had the steering box apart, but I am wondering if option 2 is the best since the worm gear may have a high point, where the steering should be centered for less road steer correction. It does drive pretty nice right now. The pittman arm is pointing straight down with the wheels set straight ahead.

Since the P.O. added the power steering set up, the tie rod is a one piece job, with adjustable rod ends.

Or maybe there is a better way? I could use yours thoughts!

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the steering wheel removal may work, not sure if the steering wheel is keyed though. I used your other option everytime I do mine so I know that would work. (taking off the pittman arm)

Old 06-23-2012, 04:53 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
It's been a while since I pulled the original wheel and column in my 56, but I believe the shaft and wheel are splined so it can be repositioned. Other alternative (my recommendation) is to set the wheels straight ahead, pull the pitman arm off the steering box, Find the center of travel of the box and put the pitman arm back on. If that doesn't center the wheel, pull the wheel and reset it.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:59 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,
If your truck goes straight down the road when you let go of the steering wheel and you have the same number of turns each way from center to stops simply remove the steering wheel and put it back on the way you want it. The steering wheel is not keyed. The pit man arm can only be put on one way or you can't get the pinch bolt back in.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 AM
big job
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
The above is correct, this is a common shop procedure. Jack up the axle
you have to find the mid point of the sector shaft and worm, that is the
tight spot center point. That point is the spot where the sector shaft
adjustment is made dont tighten too much or too loose, just enought
where there is no play. At this point the steering wheel can be put on
where it is straight. Now if this is correct-the pitman arm as said can only
go on one way. Now look at if the front wheels are straight, check with
a long straight edge. If not, I am afraid to say the drag link with
control valve has to be altered (cut and rewelded). The only trick is
when adding this type power steering, the drag link must be the exact
same as the origional. I had done so many of these I cant count, many
being air assist most hydralic assist. What we do which is the right way
is to thread the drag link with a threaded coupling (NF thread) so it is
now adjustable (like a tie rod) with a clamp. OR just reposition the steering
wheel and live with it and, if off, it will wander, steering wheel bump or
jerk.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:23 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
OOP's sorry. I was thinking about the pitman arm being repositionable on my Toyota PS box. I took off a ram system because I hated it.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:57 PM
hooler1
Fleet Mechanic
Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts
Thanks everybody for all the helpful replies! I got to thinking about this last night and took it for a drive in a big parking lot. The steering wheel goes 3 turns from stop to stop. At one and a half turns, the truck is driving straight down the road, with the 2 o'clock spoke pointing straight up. That is the 2nd way I checked it, earlier this spring I checked the same way, only with the tires off and meausred the distance of the the front and back sides of the brake carrier plates to the frame. With the steering wheel in ths same off center posisition, the brake carrier plate were square to the frame. So based on all of that, and the fact the truck drives nice and straight, I decided to do exactly as old ugly pointed out, as also ax racer,and big job. I have pulled the steering wheel and will replace it, but before I will put it back on I see I am missing the top steering column centering bearing MF part#2755. Now I know why there was some up and down and left to right play in the steering wheel!

I really appreciate all of your help and replies, and I have learned a lot from you all!

Old 06-24-2012, 03:35 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
That would have made the steering feel really strange, so it's a good thing the wheel wasn't centered or you might not have found that you were missing the bearing.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:43 AM
old ugly
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi again,
At my work we have about 70 hi-way tractors and quite often I have to change worn out steering wheels. I simply drive the trucks back and forth on the level floor without my hands on the steering wheel and let the caster center the wheels before pulling the old steering wheel off.
Bye for now, Old Ugly (Rod)