6.2L V8 Discuss the 6.2L V8

Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 10:54 AM
bikerman2299
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
It was a 70 dollar option on my truck according to my window sticker. I bought my truck used. Adding stuff to the truck is fairly simple though. I did it to my buddy's '12 gasser. His XLT steering wheel was pre-wired for them. I put the switches in and had the dealer flash the pcm. Works like a charm.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:20 PM
BigBlueOx
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well maybe there is an XL steering wheel I'm my '15 because of the dual tanks.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:22 PM
loftygoals
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread...

I have a 2011 XL. It had the Single Disc CD, cruise control, but no remote audio controls. I have since replaced the radio with a aftermarket unit made specifically to replace the odd sized ford units that these trucks have.

The aftermarket unit support the OEM steering wheel controls. My steering wheel looked terrible, so I bought a new wheel with the controls in it. I swapped out the left side cruise controls and information center controls for my original, because the new controls included a full functioning 4 way center switch. This doesn't work well with the basic information center.

The audio controls aren't being picked up by the aftermarket head unit, yet. Looking at the pdf at the beginning of the thread, it looks like there is the SCCM in between the clock spring and the radio. I'm guessing the SCCM has to be programmed before it will pass the signal through to the radio harness.

The wheel I purchased also has the sync controls. I'm not sure those buttons (the phone, OK, and voice) will ever passthrough. It would seems that the harness leading from the clock spring to the SCCM is missing the wire at pin 10 for Sync power.

I'm going to play with it more and will report back with what I find.

-bj

Old 11-22-2015, 08:27 PM
jeff.barnett
New User
Ben there, done a few, it's possible👍🏻

I'm just browsing forums and ran across this, figured I'd put my two cents in. Obviously need a wheel. I did a wood grain navigator on my own truck. Most radio control trim level (Ford) trucks have electronic climate control as well on the wheel, so you've got extra buttons that won't work(unless you're really nerdy and know you're way around a meter). A few fleet (F650 and F750) got a special hands free wheel with answer/end call, at least from what I've found. You need new clock spring and all harness wiring related to airbag/horn/cruise in the column, and access to lots of vehicle specific wire diagrams because plugs aren't the same usually. Then handle radio controls at that point as analog data (PAC SWI-RC or my personal favorite the iDatalink maestro sw) and bam, 2 hours later you can be super American and not reach all the way your radio!

Old 11-23-2015, 06:09 PM
Gints
Senior User
I actually did it. If you have removable blank plug on right side of your steering wheel, you might be in luck and have it allready prewired for radio controls. If not and there is permanent rubber plug (like on mine) you will need new steering wheel or donor for wire harness (and you can dig out the rubber). Clockspring is the same and signal goes thru(and Iam talking about 2011 and up). You will need steering wheel audio control signal adapter (they have fancy name for it, but i am a simple man), that converts FORD"s signal to a signal that your HU will recognize. I had iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR for my Kenwood. Go to they website iDatalink.com and search witch model goes with your HU. You can program all buttons on your steering wheel to what you want them to control, including Bluetooth if your radio have it. It is pane in the a***, took me some time and recherche, but its dan and works like charm. Now the fanny part, about last step - the computer might have to be reflasht by dealer, i dont now. What happened to me was that I was screwing around measuring resistance on the switch, pressing buttons, jumping in and out of truck, opening and closing doors and all of a sudden, switch just become alive. I might hit some kinda sequence that tricked the computer, have no idea, SORRY. It might suppous to work from get go. One thing is for shure, it can be dan, and if dealer tells you it can not, like they told me, tell them to go and... aah who cares. I might forgetting something, but you can read my posts from back 2014.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Jimcookster
New User
I have a 2010 f150 xlt that had a steering wheel with cruise controls only and a factory ford stereo with satellite radio but no sync. I had an iPad dash made for the truck and purchased a single din Sony deck. I got it all installed and now have ordered a new factory steering wheel with added radio controls. Last weekend I installed the steering wheel and tapped into the clock spring wiring and all the radio functions work.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:43 AM
DJsdoors
New User
How do I get the blank off, I did not want to just pull. Thanks

Old 01-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Jimcookster
New User
Adding radio control to XLT steering wheel

Mine didn't have a blank to remove. I purchased a new steering wheel that had the controls for both cruise and stereo.

Old 01-24-2016, 01:52 PM
Gints
Senior User
Originally Posted by DJsdoors
How do I get the blank off, I did not want to just pull. Thanks
There is two kinda blanks,- plastic/removable (will have wiring for radio controls behind!/lucky you), and permanent/rubber one(you can carefully dig it out, but you will need a wiring harness from donor wheel, or just buy a wheel with radio controls}. Thats what I did, and by end of a day, its cheaper and less aggravation.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:11 PM
RCBlethen
New User
Originally Posted by Gints
There is two kinda blanks,- plastic/removable (will have wiring for radio controls behind!/lucky you), and permanent/rubber one(you can carefully dig it out, but you will need a wiring harness from donor wheel, or just buy a wheel with radio controls}. Thats what I did, and by end of a day, its cheaper and less aggravation.
How much was the wheel with the wiring? I just got a 2010 F 350 Super Duty 6.4L. I am changing the factory stereo to a plug and play unit with Nav.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Jimcookster
New User
Originally Posted by RCBlethen
How much was the wheel with the wiring? I just got a 2010 F 350 Super Duty 6.4L. I am changing the factory stereo to a plug and play unit with Nav.
If I remember correctly, I bought a new wheel with both cruise and stereo controls for about $250us and then sold my old one for $100 us.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:33 PM
don123
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the audio controls on the steering wheel in my 2015 f350 xlt with no premium package.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:48 PM
Ron94150
Postmaster
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have audio control on my '16 xl with manual Windows and locks. It's part of the sync package.Attachment 156014

Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 AM
Michael Schwarz
New User
Originally Posted by Jimcookster
I have a 2010 f150 xlt that had a steering wheel with cruise controls only and a factory ford stereo with satellite radio but no sync. I had an iPad dash made for the truck and purchased a single din Sony deck. I got it all installed and now have ordered a new factory steering wheel with added radio controls. Last weekend I installed the steering wheel and tapped into the clock spring wiring and all the radio functions work.
Resurrecting an old thread. I have my new steering wheel and will be attempting the install in a few days. When you say "tapped into the clock spring" do you mean you had to run a new wire?

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 PM
84convertablegt
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did this today. This is how you do it. Its pretty complicated! The 2011+ trucks are not at all like the pre 2011 trucks and all the steering wheel control info is broadcast over the MS-CAN and HS-CAN network on the truck and is routed from the SCCM to the BCM then to the ACM (radio). Previous years just ran directly from the steering wheel to the radio.