1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

About to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 01:39 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
About to throw in the towel

Over the last few months I went through the trials and tribulations of getting the newly rebuilt engine ready and installed back into the 52.

After fixing a few coolant leaks (from the water pump and thermostat housing bolts, as well as the upper and lower hoses) and replacement of a failed electrical fuel pump, we were finally ready to fire the motor. The motor had a healthy crank, but not able to start and run. We checked the spark, fuel, oil and compression. Found to have all but compression. We confirmed that the crankshaft and timing chain are installed correctly in proper timing. We also confirmed that each valve has the proper lash and is not stuck. We poured more oil inside each cylinder to lubricate and expand the rings. Still no compression.

I'm extremely disappointed right now. I called the engine rebuilder and he suggested that we do a leak down test and call him back. My buddy will bring over his tester tomorrow. I immediately checked my parts invoices and confirmed that I purchased the correct rings. Our guess is that the rings may not have been installed properly. At this point, I'm not in the mood to remove the engine again to haul it to the machine shop. I will definitely express my concerns to the machine shop and ask them to do all of the work.

It's really frustrating to spend all of this precious time and hard-earned money on something that doesn't work properly. I'm hoping that it's something simple.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:49 AM
seanmconroy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
Over the last few months I went through the trials and tribulations of getting the newly rebuilt engine ready and installed back into the 52.

Looking great,

Old 06-22-2012, 01:51 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by seanmconroy
Looking great,
I was in the process of making the full post when I accidentally made the post with just the picture. I've edited the post now to include all of the details.

The engine may look great, but it's only an expensive boat anchor at this time.

Old 06-22-2012, 01:55 AM
SuperDuty_Dude
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan

After fixing a few coolant leaks (from the water pump and thermostat housing bolts, as well as the upper and lower hoses) and replacement of a failed electrical fuel pump, we were finally ready to fire the motor. The motor had a healthy crank, but not able to start and run. We checked the spark, fuel, oil and compression. Found to have all but compression. We confirmed that the crankshaft and timing chain are installed correctly in proper timing. We also confirmed that each valve has the proper lash and is not stuck. We poured more oil inside each cylinder to lubricate and expand the rings. Still no compression.

I'm extremely disappointed right now. I called the engine rebuilder and he suggested that we do a leak down test and call him back. My buddy will bring over his tester tomorrow. I immediately checked my parts invoices and confirmed that I purchased the correct rings. Our guess is that the rings may not have been installed properly. At this point, I'm not in the mood to remove the engine again to haul it to the machine shop. I will definitely express my concerns to the machine shop and ask them to do all of the work.

It's really frustrating to spend all of this precious time and hard-earned money on something that doesn't work properly. I'm hoping that it's something simple.
Looks Real Good, Post More Pictures Please

Old 06-22-2012, 02:51 AM
jred
Junior User
engine

take a deep breath all is not lost most engine builders do and will stand behind their work it could be a very simple problem such as the valves are set too tight do a compression test on all cylinders if compression is none do a leak down test if air is coming out of the carb or the exhaust check valve lash if the engine was assembled by the engine builder call and talk the them for the most part they don't want to have any problems with your engine any more then you do they should and will most likely take care of you some time these are small problems do not let them get you down this is suppose the be fun hope everything works out

Old 06-22-2012, 06:12 AM
Chicago Fire Patrol
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ilya, I hope it works out for you!!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:15 AM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

I am not an expert, but I don't think the rings will seat until the engine gets broken in. Given that fact, will a leak down test give an accurate indication if the rings are not seated?

On another note, we all have had our trial and tribulations with our trucks. Before you know it, you will be cruising down back road enjoying your truck.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:31 AM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
Hope you figure it out soon... That engine sure looks pretty in there... Keep your head up...

Old 06-22-2012, 07:37 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 261 Likes on 215 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Ilya. Hope it's something simple. Mine's still at the machine shop, and I'm getting anxious. Stu

Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
The engine looks great Ilya. How low were the compression readings? If they were under 50 I wonder if the cam timing is off? You may have done this already but set your timing mark on the pointer then pull #1 spark plug and the valve cover and make sure that both valves are closed when the piston is at the top of it's stroke. If they put in a new cam you may want to follow the firing order and do that for each cylinder to make sure that you have the right profile cam. If it is cam related can't that be fixed in the truck without pulling the engine?

Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by petemcl
The engine looks great Ilya. How low were the compression readings? If they were under 50 I wonder if the cam timing is off? You may have done this already but set your timing mark on the pointer then pull #1 spark plug and the valve cover and make sure that both valves are closed when the piston is at the top of it's stroke. If they put in a new cam you may want to follow the firing order and do that for each cylinder to make sure that you have the right profile cam. If it is cam related can't that be fixed in the truck without pulling the engine?
I agree with Pete, it sounds like valve timing to me.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:56 AM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Generally I try not to make useless comments, but I want to make sure I don't miss how it works out so this will subscribe me to the thread. I know it's frustrating, but it will work out. Best to you.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:18 AM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by South of BC
Generally I try not to make useless comments, but I want to make sure I don't miss how it works out so this will subscribe me to the thread. I know it's frustrating, but it will work out. Best to you.
Next time, just go to the top of the thread and pull down the thread tool drop down, then click on subscribe. It took me a long time to realize it was there.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:46 AM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Just a very SWAG, but were all protective covers removed from the block or manifold prior to the manifold installed?

Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 AM
sgary
New User
I had a similar problem, it turned out to be the wrong cam in the right box.

Quick Reply: About to throw in the towel