1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

About to throw in the towel

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
ZOOT
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The carbs that came with the manifold worked fine when they were on my truck. Are those the 1040's? If so put those suckers back on and try it. Did you save the linkage etc ? Also, I had a pressure regulator on the gas line and an electric pump. I think the regulator was at 7psi. I know there not as pretty as those glass ones but if they work.... Good luck with it, hang in.

Old 07-20-2012, 08:52 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
have you replaced the wire from the coil to the distributor and made sure it wasn't shorting against the housing? They were famous for breaking right where they went into the housing, Sometimes they would work OK until the humidity got high then they would short out. It's a cheap fix to try. Also look for carbon tracks on the inside of the cap, look like fine line drawing of a lightening bolt between terminals or from terminal to edge of cap where it sits on housing. I remember once where the rotor hit a terminal and turned the end contact.
The wires inside the distributor were replaced. The points and condenser are new. The cap is also new. When we replaced the condenser yesterday, we found burns in the plastic away from the metal contact. It may have been off by a tooth. Reset it correctly and still didn't fire as well.

The shaft and bushings in the distributor may be worn. I'm now looking for a rebuilt or NOS distributor. Also emailed a guy that rebuilds Ford distributors to see if he can do mine.

Originally Posted by ZOOT
The carbs that came with the manifold worked fine when they were on my truck. Are those the 1040's? If so put those suckers back on and try it. Did you save the linkage etc ? Also, I had a pressure regulator on the gas line and an electric pump. I think the regulator was at 7psi. I know there not as pretty as those glass ones but if they work.... Good luck with it, hang in.
Those carbs may be the ones that I got from you. I took about seven different 1904s, including the two from you, to the rebuilder. So, I'm not sure if the ones he rebuilt were yours or from the others that I gave him. We were after a good housing for both carbs since most leak around the bottom edges.

I spoke with a PerTronix rep today and he suggested that I buy the Flame-Thrower coil and their Ignitor, which will work with the 6V. The coil is 12v, but the ohms are the same as in the 6v. He said that the coil will work with my set up. The cheapest I found them is on Amazon and plan to order both this weekend. I've wanted to get this set up for some time, just never had an excuse since everything was working up to the dreadful moment of the mysterious backfiring.

http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-4001...I1CIHMX68MI8RU

http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-1266...I3M43OGCDGTUU3

I also bought a new 6v coil and spark plugs from NAPA today. Going to throw them on tomorrow to see if a new coil and plugs make a difference.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
That sucks, but don't give up!!!

Old 07-20-2012, 10:16 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
BTW - this may have already come up, but have you considered testing a different model carb? Like a 847?

Old 07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
I tried running it with the stock set up, which has a different 1904 carb on it. Still the same result.

Old 07-20-2012, 10:35 PM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 51PanelMan
I tried running it with the stock set up, which has a different 1904 carb on it. Still the same result.
Still... if all 1904's are as finicky as you suspect AND all you have tried are 1904's, perhaps a different carb model might give you a different response? Just a thought. Plus, I think the 847 *may* have the same diamond shaped and bolt patterned base as the 1904. If so, it could be an easy swap.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
The shaft and bushings in the distributor may be worn. I'm now looking for a rebuilt or NOS distributor. Also emailed a guy that rebuilds Ford distributors to see if he can do mine.

I spoke with a PerTronix rep today and he suggested that I buy the Flame-Thrower coil and their Ignitor, which will work with the 6V. The coil is 12v, but the ohms are the same as in the 6v. He said that the coil will work with my set up. The cheapest I found them is on Amazon and plan to order both this weekend. I've wanted to get this set up for some time, just never had an excuse since everything was working up to the dreadful moment of the mysterious backfiring.

http://www.amazon.com/PerTronix-4001...I1CIHMX68MI8RU

Amazon.com: PerTronix 1266 Ignitor for Ford 6 Cylinder pre-1965: Automotive

I also bought a new 6v coil and spark plugs from NAPA today. Going to throw them on tomorrow to see if a new coil and plugs make a difference.
If your bushings are worn enough to cause you this significant of a problem shouldn't you be able to see movement? I found Jim Linder at Lindertech (Bubba's) extremely knowledgable and helpful. He rebuilds all kinds of distributors.

I think that you will be pleased with the PerTronix setup. It is a great design, easy to install and eliminates the points and condenser guesswork. I got mine from Amazon too. They had the best price.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:53 AM
38 coupe
Cargo Master
Received 109 Likes on 57 Posts
I will throw out one more possible cause: a "spun" vibration dampener ring. If the rubber in the crank pulley gave up and the outer ring with the timing marks gets loose you have no reference for ignition timing.

Before sending parts off try some diagnosis. To check if your points and condenser are working try the following:
1 - pull the coil lead out of the middle of the distributor cap then remove the distributor cap and rotor
2 - turn the engine until the points are closed
3 - turn the ignition on
4 - hold the coil to distributor cap lead so that the end is 1/16 inch from a good ground ( I frequently use the coil bracket bolts for this if they are not too coated in paint)
5 - use a wooden or plastic handled screw driver to open and close the points (make sure to not short between the two sides of the points when you do this)

You should see a nice blue spark from the end of the coil lead. A weak orange spark indicates a problem with the points, condenser, coil, or connecting wires.

If you have a good spark and the crank pulley / vibration dampener is tight try to static time the engine. Use a socket to turn the crank until it is about 2 degrees advanced. Loosen the distributor hold down and retard the timing a lot. Turn the ignition on and slowly advance the distributor. When the points fire, tighten the distributor. Reassemble the distributor and see if the engine runs better.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:42 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Thanks for the advice, 38.

Some good news today. After spending $20 on a new coil, the engine started and actually ran. Still backfires because the timing needs to be set, but we were able to idle it for a few minutes. I didn't get that on video, but did get a start up afterwards documented on video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Hq9PMnMiDnk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now I'm thinking that all this time it could have been a bad coil, even before the rebuild. I may not have needed to have the motor rebuilt. Now I joke that I have a $3000 coil. I still plan on getting the PerTronix items. We'll be getting back to the truck again after next week when my friend has more time. Plan is to install the PerTronix items, as well as the Offy intake with dual carbs, and then start her up again to see how she runs. I also need to get the exhaust pipe fixed and the muffler replaced.

I'm just glad that progress appears to be moving in the right direction, so far. I was so pleased with today's progress that I even took the time to wash her after almost a year of no cleaning.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:04 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Ilya....Congratulations!!

You should think about breaking it in with the single carb....it'd be easier to keep the mixture correct while you're getting the rings seated.

Dan

Old 07-22-2012, 01:15 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Buy a bag of marshmallows to make smores!!

Really, is there anything that gives a better sense of accomplishment that having an engine that you've been working and having troubles starting finally kick over and fire up? The flattie I recently sold was like that. I worked on that bugger for a couple of weeks, checking this and checking that only to get a back fire if I was lucky. Then I changed out the new condenser with the old one and it fired up. For a second I didn't realized it was actually running. I let go of the carb linkage and it died. I fired it up again and revved it a few times just to hear run. Awesome feeling.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:43 AM
badger_hound
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the advice, 38.

Some good news today. After spending $20 on a new coil, the engine started and actually ran.
Logical yet unexpected... Glad to hear it's running again!

Old 08-15-2012, 10:56 AM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Gentlemen, START YOUR ENGINE!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xltHNTR4Sl8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

With switching out the PerTronix ignitor and coil parts, the engine fired up on the first try. The video is the second start. The engine runs and idles smooth. Just need to fix the small exhaust leak between the pipe and manifold. Also, need to get the carbs dialed in and double check the timing.

I had the biggest grin on my face yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be able to take it on a test drive soon.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:20 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I had the biggest grin on my face yesterday. Hopefully, I'll be able to take it on a test drive soon.
Test drive it to Truckstock, that's sure to shake the bugs out of it

There's hardly a feeling that matches the feeling you get when something you've been working on so hard and long on finely turns out good.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:26 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Ilya , That is awesome !! Am happy for you . Congrats !!

Quick Reply: About to throw in the towel