Fifth wheel for F-150?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM
carolinaborn82
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fifth wheel for F-150?

I have an 05 F-150 with a 5.5ft. bed. Can I get a fifth wheel with that setup? I have always wanted one but I am not sure if it is possible with my setup.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:06 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
nope. Well I think there maybe something lite enough out there to do the job if local I would not recommend it.

When you take into account the king pin wt of a 5er that goes against your payload and the ratings of your axles, brakes, cooling capacity of the motor and much much more you will not be happy or safe.

F250/F350 is where you need to be for this to work.

Best way imho about this idea is to shop for the 5er of your choice. Decide what you will get and then shop for the truck that will do the job.

Although you are spending more money up front you will be able to enjoy the adventure with clean underwear.

Hope that helps a bit.

Old 06-21-2012, 10:46 AM
carolinaborn82
Senior User
Originally Posted by senix
nope. Well I think there maybe something lite enough out there to do the job if local I would not recommend it.

When you take into account the king pin wt of a 5er that goes against your payload and the ratings of your axles, brakes, cooling capacity of the motor and much much more you will not be happy or safe.

F250/F350 is where you need to be for this to work.

Best way imho about this idea is to shop for the 5er of your choice. Decide what you will get and then shop for the truck that will do the job.

Although you are spending more money up front you will be able to enjoy the adventure with clean underwear.

Hope that helps a bit.
I respect your opinion. I figured that was gonna be the response. Getting a new truck is out of the question considering I just got this one. I will just stick to bumper towables. I definately don't have to have a fifth wheel, but I do know I can't go any longer in our little popup.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:07 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,006 Posts
Originally Posted by carolinaborn82
I respect your opinion. I figured that was gonna be the response. Getting a new truck is out of the question considering I just got this one. I will just stick to bumper towables. I definately don't have to have a fifth wheel, but I do know I can't go any longer in our little popup.
A bumper pull is an excellant choice and many have sliders as well. figure 10% for the tongue wt in your calulations.

You will also want the weight dist. type hitch.

Does your F150 have the TBC(trailer brake controller)? If not then you will want that as well.

F150 is a good truck but a 5er will not be a good choice that's all.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:45 AM
carolinaborn82
Senior User
Yeah I have to get a brake controller for the truck. I am wanting something around 24 to 26ft. I would prefer a slidout, but it isn't a deal breaker. I just know the popup with two kids is just way too small now. Gotta go bigger or get out of camping, and I ain't getting out of camping.

Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some models of 5th wheel campers on the market that are light enough for you to pull, but not many. And with a 5.5ft bed, you are going to want a sliding hitch. The good ones aren't cheap.

Then there's the temptation once the hitch is there to see what the truck can REALLY handle...

Old 06-21-2012, 02:15 PM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
I doubt the fivers that are light enough for an F150 would meet your needs. The shorter ones have less room than a tag-along.

Steve

Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM
carolinaborn82
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
I doubt the fivers that are light enough for an F150 would meet your needs. The shorter ones have less room than a tag-along.

Steve
Yeah I think I am gonna stick with a bumper pull. It seems to be more suitable for my equipment. After this pup, anything is gonna be a huge upgrade in functionality and space.

Old 06-21-2012, 05:42 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
ive seen f150s pulling 5ers, but not with a 5.5 ft bed, i dont think youll have the clearance youd need. but if you did you could pull one, just not a 40ft tri-axle toyhauler i think bumper pull is better anyway because it leaves your bed available.

Old 06-22-2012, 08:49 AM
curtw48
Senior User
Carolinaborn82,

Check out this guys posts. He did it the right way.
Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - View Profile: Platinum_Sean

Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 AM
bigrigfixer
The Pacifier

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you said you just got this truck, but have you considered Craigslist? There's OBS dually trucks AND older 5th wheel combos for 10 grand all over the place.

When I found out my father in law paid 11 grand for his 5th wheel (to be pulled by his 1/2 ton Ram) I literally asked him what was he thinking. That's when I looked on Craigslist to find a better deal. And sure enough, within 5 minutes I found 3 truck and trailer combinations (2 Fords and a Dodge, trailers 24-27 feet) under 10 grand.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:08 AM
dmanlyr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by curtw48
Carolinaborn82,

Check out this guys posts. He did it the right way.
Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans - View Profile: Platinum_Sean
I only bring this up as the OP needs to be thinking about all this information and axle loading, even if he is bumper towing. The OP has asked the right questions, and every post has been informative and great.

This link goes to a very nice looking rig, but I was looking for loaded axle weights and pin weights on that rig he has. I do not see any of that type of information in his "garage" section? I see that he has superspring helpers, which would account for the proper frame slope (no rear squating under load) but do nothing to add even one pound of ANY actaul or usable axle capacity, only adjust ride height.

Is that 5th really that light that with 15% or so weight on the pin, a full load of fuel, his normal load of gear and people in the truck that he is not over on the 1/2 ton rear GAWR? Even on the SD trucks, with there much heavier rated rear axles, the SRW configuration rear axle capacity seems to be the single largest limiting factor

If so, then I would say he has done a absolutly fantastic job of matching a truck and trailer!

If not, then I would say he has done a fantastic job of making a overloaded rig "appear" safe.

David

Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 AM
RV_Tech
Hotshot
Received 456 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanlyr
I only bring this up as the OP needs to be thinking about all this information and axle loading, even if he is bumper towing. The OP has asked the right questions, and every post has been informative and great.

This link goes to a very nice looking rig, but I was looking for loaded axle weights and pin weights on that rig he has. I do not see any of that type of information in his "garage" section? I see that he has superspring helpers, which would account for the proper frame slope (no rear squating under load) but do nothing to add even one pound of ANY actaul or usable axle capacity, only adjust ride height.

Is that 5th really that light that with 15% or so weight on the pin, a full load of fuel, his normal load of gear and people in the truck that he is not over on the 1/2 ton rear GAWR? Even on the SD trucks, with there much heavier rated rear axles, the SRW configuration rear axle capacity seems to be the single largest limiting factor

If so, then I would say he has done a absolutly fantastic job of matching a truck and trailer!

If not, then I would say he has done a fantastic job of making a overloaded rig "appear" safe.

David
Hi David,

I think you pretty well nailed the issue in that it is simply not possible to tell from a picture what axle weight are. I think some folks really understand the issues involved and do a great job of matching their tow vehicle to their load, but working often on dealers lots, I can assure you the overwhelming majority go by a rule that seems to be, if I can hook onto it, I can tow it.

I always tell folks when you are towing, it is not enough that we keep ourselves safe. I think we all have an obligation to keep others on the road safe as well.

Steve

Old 07-01-2012, 05:55 PM
carolinaborn82
Senior User
Originally Posted by RV_Tech
Hi David,

I think you pretty well nailed the issue in that it is simply not possible to tell from a picture what axle weight are. I think some folks really understand the issues involved and do a great job of matching their tow vehicle to their load, but working often on dealers lots, I can assure you the overwhelming majority go by a rule that seems to be, if I can hook onto it, I can tow it.

I always tell folks when you are towing, it is not enough that we keep ourselves safe. I think we all have an obligation to keep others on the road safe as well.

Steve
you nailed it. i would love to have a fifth wheel and i am sure i could get away with it going to the lake or to the beach, but we wanna do some mountain camping and it just isn't smart to have some huge land yacht pushing you down the mountain. i have a wife and two kids, don't wanna be stupid, just wanna enjoy camping.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:33 PM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,093 Likes on 994 Posts
What engine do you have in the 150? Is it the new eco-boost? If so, I think there are 5er's that were build with that truck in mind.

Quick Reply: Fifth wheel for F-150?