6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

This thread will make you feel good.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM
AGE mechanic
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jdhart73
Yeah he will make it right, I have no doubt!
Well that is certainly good news.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:59 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025

Going in there to do work, no matter what the reason, you run risks like this..
Yes MAYBE there is a RISK But this SHOP Should ACCEPT ALL Responsibility in this CASE

The shop took FULL Responability when they took the JOB Everything that FAILED the SHOP was supposed to verify its Condition It was already discussed between the owner and shop owner left in there hands for a PROFESSIONAL JUDGMENT

He took it to a Licensed Shop thats a Business Everything That Got JACKED Up Heads & Oil Cooler whatever ALL of that this shop was SUPPOSED to PULL and Verify its Condition and Repair as Necessary

It was upto the Shop to Determine say the Heads were good enough to Reuse or If NOT then they should have Spoke Up and Gave the BALL to the Owner

Unless we are not getting the whole story and the shop did Mention to the Owner That New Heads would be the best and the Old Heads were on Borrowed Time then thats One thing

How good is this machinist? It takes precision work to do this type of stuff,
especially with the 6.0.
Sounds Like the GUY SUCKS

Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
RPM371
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What I've read from machinists, don't even bother machining the heads. Just get new ones.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:19 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it ain't broke don't fix it

Old 06-18-2012, 08:32 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
LOL, give me a break with the aint broke don't fix it crap!

If it aint broke wait until you and your family are stranded on the side of the road sounds so much better...LOL

Old 06-18-2012, 08:34 PM
2006powerstroke90
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hear ya on that!

Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL, give me a break with the aint broke don't fix it crap!

If it aint broke wait until you and your family are stranded on the side of the road sounds so much better...LOL
The irony is what happened to you is exactly why this saying exists. It doesn't happen to everyone that chooses to do this, but it is a risk nonetheless. The shop could have screwed up if it really needed to be fixed, but at least there was a reason to go in there other then speculative fear.

Hell, any vehicle can leave your family stranded on the side of the road. Based on that, why don't we "bulletproof" all the vehicles we own?

Blade, if everything had happened as relayed to us, then yes I would agree that the shop is fully responsible (as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread). Since the OP said that the machinist checked the heads and had found em to be fine, it sounds like they did check things (or that's what they said). So that would make it very much their bad job.

All this clearly illustrates some issues that I have with the supposedly well documented issues of the 6.0.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:19 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts
The irony is what happened to you is exactly why this saying exists. .

Aint that the truth

Its to bad though this isnt just the auto repair trade Either

You Hire a Plumber to Unplug a drain you expect it to work and drain but it dont always happen that way

The Professionalism seems to slip threw the cracks sometimes

Am I crazy I thought a Head could also be pressure checked

Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
Heads can be pressure checked and are decked OFTEN, any machinist that tells you to buy new heads vs decking to flatten good heads should find a new career. The heads could have cracked 20 different ways. The guy could have magnafluxed them prior to putting in the new valve guides (which is dumb but could have happened?) and not realized he cracked them after the fact. He could be totally full of crap and never checked them, just eyeballed them. We could have cracked them during the torquing process for the ARP head studs. So many variables, who knows!

I would love to have new heads but I am thinking another 2k is not desirable at this point. My mechanic is taking care of all the expense for having to go back in, he will make it right.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
To the OP
Dont beat yourself up for trying to do a good thing & prevent a break down. I do stuff like that all the time, in fact alot lately. Its just unfortunate this happened to you & it sounds as if the shop will make it right.

I bought my 2006 KR last Oct. (its my first Diesel) & ive spent over $6k since mod'n it performance wise, visually, adding some "new" upgraded parts & doing all kinds of preventive maintance (cause i didnt know when it was last done). Thats just how iam, we've taken it on 1 small trip pullin the 5'er to Atlanta,GA so the wife could spend time w/grandma & we took kids to the aquarium. But our 1st BIG trip is this week (headed to the "old" home in MI) to visit family/friends & attend 2 weddings. Well put appx. 2k miles on her & iam confident she'll get the job done.
So everyone cross ur fingers for us & i hope i dont need to ask anyone any questions....lol

Old 06-18-2012, 11:31 PM
waumpuscat
Senior User
Jd, I don't blame you for doing it. I tow a fiver with my family along and I am going to do everything I can to reduce risk. I bought my truck new and had enough cel and turbo trouble with it completely stock that after 44k I weighed the risk versus benefit of doing the longevity mods and went for it. As things stand in the few short months and 3000 miles that I have had the upgrades, I could not be happier. I may have been fine for 200k but I did not want to chance it. If something goes bad now I am betting I will know what it is not. Good luck with your upgrades, sorry about your tuff luck.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by waumpuscat
Jd, I don't blame you for doing it. I tow a fiver with my family along and I am going to do everything I can to reduce risk.
Knowledge is perhaps the best way to reduce risk. Some of the parts that are listed as longevity mods aren't needed. Some really only treat a symptom, not the root cause (what good is that?).

All those mods that people list, you can get a simple set of gauges and the wealth of knowledge that can be gained from those is priceless. They can even prevent a catastrophic failure, if you have the knowledge to use them correctly. The illegal mods can cost you more too if you are caught, also can make selling the truck a booger too.

It's one thing to replace parts that aren't broken when you are doing something that you know is going to stress those original parts. It's quite another to just replace parts due to speculative fear (some of it is misplaced fear at that)

Old 06-19-2012, 11:29 PM
waumpuscat
Senior User
Knowledge and risk/benefit. Everybody has to do that for themselves and their own set of circumstances. That is what I did and I am good with it. Sounds like Jd is as well.

Last edited by waumpuscat; 06-19-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 PM
jdhart73
Senior User
Tex, set the bat down and step away from the dead horse!!

We get it, you totally disagree with anyone doing what I did to my vehicle. Unfortunately its my money and my problem so regardless of how many times you imply that I am an idiot for doing what I did your opinion is not affecting my decision.

Again, thanks for the replies but I have to say they are becoming fairly redundant at this point.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:38 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by waumpuscat
Knowledge and risk/benefit. Everybody has to do that for themselves and their own set of circumstances. That is what I did and I am good with it. Sounds like Jd is as well.

I highly doubt he is good with it based on this thread so far.

We get it, you totally disagree with anyone doing what I did to my vehicle. Unfortunately its my money and my problem so regardless of how many times you imply that I am an idiot for doing what I did your opinion is not affecting my decision.
A. I don't agree with your decision, that does not mean that I'm implying you are an idiot.

B. Of course it's not affecting your decision. You can't "unscramble an egg". Decision and action has already been done. Too late on that.

C. The main thrust of my issue is the bellyaching after your decision. While I agree the actual work was done poorly by the shop based on what I'm reading from your posts (something that would cause me to worry about their "fix"), you do have some blame in this as well. I'm working under the supposition that you realized before you decided to do this work, you knew that it was possible that they could botch it up and you could be left with a broken truck. You realized that, you judged it and still you went on to do it. That's fine, everyone has their own different risk evaluations, I have no problem with that. However, when it comes back to bite you (as it did in your case), some of that blame resides with you for taking that risk and it not working out in the end. Which in my mind, means that you can't really complain about it as part of what happens when you lose the gamble (and that's what it was). You gave up that when you decided to take the risk.

You took a risk, it didn't work out. It was your call, your decision. It bit you in the end. It happens, but ultimately, it was your call, you lose the ability to bellyache in my mind. That's my point. I don't think you are an idiot. You made a decision that didn't work out, but that alone doesn't qualify you for idiot status.

Quick Reply: This thread will make you feel good.....