Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Using LEDs in our trucks.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
fordcrzymike
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did LEDs in my 97 (My 79 will be getting them soon) and love them. I also bought the bulbs from superbrightLED.com and haven't had any issues.

In the 97s they had a blue film behind the gauges and the incandescent bulb would shine through as green. So putting true white LED bulbs made the gauges looks blue (which is what I wanted)

Old 09-07-2012, 01:14 PM
jim collins
Cargo Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fordcrzymike
I did LEDs in my 97 (My 79 will be getting them soon) and love them. I also bought the bulbs from superbrightLED.com and haven't had any issues.

In the 97s they had a blue film behind the gauges and the incandescent bulb would shine through as green. So putting true white LED bulbs made the gauges looks blue (which is what I wanted)
Those look sharp just what i was hoping for in my 73. The 87 i had were a lot brighter than my 73. When you do the 79 can you post them on here ? I would like to see them. There is a difference in the 73 and 79 panel , 79 has more places to put them. I have a couple of 79 panels but they won't plug in to my 73 harness . I believe i only used 4 blue ones for the back lighting, never did the signals or high beam indicator. I was unable to figure which ones went there as the ones left never looked blue and no instructions of any kind was sent to me.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:15 PM
hermancm
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The LEDs I put in my instrument cluster sure brightened it up and was well worth the changeover. I only did the back lighting, not the turns or the oil and alternator lights. I had some spare LEDs on hand then so I did the side marker lights, odd thing is that no matter what I tried I could only get the rear lights to work with the LEDs but not the fronts...??

Old 09-26-2012, 10:38 PM
buttwheat
Senior User
I changed my dome light bulb to a LED bulb and a clear lens. What a huge improvement

Old 09-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Dace
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by buttwheat
I changed my dome light bulb to a LED bulb and a clear lens. What a huge improvement
Do you know what dome light led you used?

Old 09-26-2012, 11:46 PM
buttwheat
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dace
Do you know what dome light led you used?
I got the clear cover and the bulb from LMC
cover 47-4268
LED bulb 47-0205

Old 09-27-2012, 06:57 AM
gumshoe
Senior User
what a great idea to light the the gauges with leds. I can barely see my gauges at night, I checked the web site that stinky listed, its, a good one.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:36 AM
boxer.fan
Senior User
Does anyone want to tell us what size bulb was used for the instrument cluster? I did read that 9 bulbs are needed but what size are they? What is the difficulty in pulling the instrument cluster out and how long is the job? Thanks.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
Dace
Mountain Pass
I think the place that could really use leds is the dash.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:53 AM
chcknugget
Junior User
Originally Posted by buttwheat
I got the clear cover and the bulb from LMC
cover 47-4268
LED bulb 47-0205

Thanks so much, I just ordered two of these covers! My originals are cracked and they are so dirty hardly any light shines through!!!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:43 PM
hermancm
Tuned
Originally Posted by boxer.fan
Does anyone want to tell us what size bulb was used for the instrument cluster? I did read that 9 bulbs are needed but what size are they? What is the difficulty in pulling the instrument cluster out and how long is the job? Thanks.
Look for 194 (T10) bulb replacements. I got mine on eBay from China for $1.50 each shipped. They work fine. At first I replaced all of my dash lights but the LEDs don't work well in all spots but like I said they sure do make the back lighting brighter like it should be. I might do my dome light some day, I was just happy to get it working after I bought the truck. It needed a new covet and new door switches, easy!

Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM
hermancm
Tuned
By the way- LEDs have a polarity so what I did was I waited until dusk and I put my LEDs in so I could make sure they were in correctly before putting the dash back together.

The dash comes out easily, a few screws are on the top of the face piece and one screw by the light and wiper switch. The ***** for the radio and the light and wiper switches need to be pulled off. Then four screws for the cluster. The cluster has the speedo cable and a harness to take off if you want to completely take it out, not necessary if just putting in new bulbs, IMO...

Old 09-28-2012, 07:45 AM
boxer.fan
Senior User
Originally Posted by hermancm
Look for 194 (T10) bulb replacements. At first I replaced all of my dash lights but the LEDs don't work well in all spots.
What bulbs are the ones that should not be replaced with led's, in your opinion? Thanks for your help just don't want to do the job twice.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Dace
Mountain Pass
What bulbs are the ones that should not be replaced with led's, in your opinion? Thanks for your help just don't want to do the job twice.
From what I am seeing you just need to get the right LEDs. Some LEDs point straight ahead, some throw light in a 360 degree pattern. You need the kind that throw more light around from what I have seen.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:28 PM
hermancm
Tuned
At first I did all of the except the turn indicators. A posting earlier in this thread explains why not to do the turn indicators. The oil and alternator lights didn't work right so I changed them back to the incandescents. No biggy, they are just fine with the old bulbs. The bright headlight indicator might work ok but there again mine is ok with the old bulbs... If you buy a kit from a web site it may work in these locations. I just bought some 194 LED replacements online. I am getting about five times more light fom the background bulbs now and that's what I really wanted!

Quick Reply: Using LEDs in our trucks.