Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector time? Yes and more PMS.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Injector time? Yes and more PMS.....

So seems I made a booboo this last weekend when I was on my way back from North Dakota. I put some isopropyl alcohol in the fuel to help clean out the injectors but I think I put to much in as it didn't mix like it had before and I ended up sucking up just the isopropyl when sitting at a stop light. So I limped the truck into a parking lot, shut it down and cycled the key about 10 times so I could push it all back into the tank then hit the go pedal and turned the key so I could push it all out of the rails. She turned over for a bit then BOOM she back fired. I figured I probably ignited the fumes in the exhaust with the diesel from a firing cylinder.

So I got it up and running but the truck still had quite a miss at idle but it got me the rest of the way home with the occasional minor sputter when I was WOT.

Here at the home front I have since parked the truck, drained the fuel and am now working on dropping the tank so I can do the in tank modifications and clean out the tank. I'm also thinking I may have fouled a injector because I have lost a lot of my low end power along with a idle that feels like I'm not firing on one cylinder.

So after reinstalling the tank I'm moving to the injectors. I plan to pull them out and replace the injectors and cups for preventative maintenance. I also plan to replace a couple glow plugs as the truck still smokes a bit on startup. Smoke seems to be a blue haze. But I'll test the glow plugs, all of them and find the week ones and replace them.

I also plan on checking my rocker arms and push rods to be sure none are bent.

My question to you guys is what do you think could be causing the miss? Am I on the right track pulling the injectors and replacing them? I know they are at least close to due as they now have 245K miles on them (to my knowledge and the odometer) and if so should I replace my long lead injector with a standard injector since I have Clay's FRX kit installed?

Is there anything else I should be looking to inspect and/or replace.

Also as a side note I know I back fired pretty good because I detonated my exhaust back pressure sensor. It's now stuck at 53PSI and it was new as of last year and one is already on order.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I'll just bet you're thinking your rig should go on the wagon. It looks like you have almost everything covered. the only thing I can think of is the EBPV, but I don't know what a backfire would do to that.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Yea, you're right. I should check it out. I know this winter the thing wasn't working and it should have been.
Thanks. I'll be posting pictures as these things get done.
That could have been because of a few other things but none the less I should inspect it's health.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:43 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
If you have stock injectors I don't think you have the LL injector on the early 99. Thats what I have and they are just AB injectors. Are you going with stock or stage one injectors.

Chet

Old 06-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
I'm planning on going with stock injectors due to limitted funds and because I never plan to pull more than 800 ft lbs of torque out of this truck. I would like to get it up to 800 ft lbs and if i remember correctly it is possible to do with stock injectors. I was thinking of going with the 130cc injectors.
Anyone have any thoughts or input?

Old 06-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

I would think the ab would be the same price as the AD injectors so I would go that route. The only thing is most people run a new HPOP with them, stock 17 but I'd go to the T500. I'm not sure on 800 ft lbs with stock injectors. Stage 1's yes. I think more like 650 ft lbs. is correct, I mit be wrong on that.

Chet

Old 06-17-2012, 05:17 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
hmm. Well a new HPOP has been on my list but not in the budget this go around. Heck all the work I'm going to do isn't in the budget but I'll get it done but yea, maybe I'll just have to settle for 650 until later days then. I do believe the stage 1's are just over 200 bucks. Besides if I get stage one's then I need to replace my E99 turbo, up pipes, pedistal, intercooler, spider, ect. I'd be dropping some change and don't get my wrong it's on my list to do but paying the bills unfortunately comes first.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Stage 1's take less oil. And your tubo will run stage 1's. The later setup is better because of new design spider etc., but it will work. If you go to later AD injectors the later trucks have the 17 HPOP because of more oil needed. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Chet

Old 06-17-2012, 12:35 PM
jdw1
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I am just curious, how much iso did you put into the tank and how much fuel was the tank?

Old 06-17-2012, 01:09 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
One of those large bottles of iso that you can get at walmart. It's always been fine before but this time it never got a chance to mix and went straight to the bottom then was picked up.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:01 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
OK, so I have removed the tank and done the pickup mod. Removed the mixers and put a filter in right before the pump where there is already rubber hose. Cut the filler stopper in the tank so I can get the most out of each fill up without waiting and now pulled the injectors on the driver's side and found one bad glow plug which has now been replaced.
Here are my pictures....

I also inspected the rocker arms and looked at the push rods I could get my head to and they all seem to be just fine so I suspect fouled injector at this point but haven't gotten to the passenger side yet so we'll see and as I said before since these have 245K on them I do believe it is time to replace them anyhow. Hopefully soon following I can get a terminator HPOP.

Also you will notice that some of the injectors are different colors from the others at the tips. Anyone know why?

I did notice that some of my O rings weren't looking so happy. One looked like it had been chewed on a little bit.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Oh, one other thing. Do you guys think it a good idea to replace the cups while I have the injectors out?

Old 06-17-2012, 10:38 PM
GonzoCSU
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the pictures it appears that 2 of the injectors (the ones that are darker on the tip) had bad o-rings causing the discoloration. I am sure someone else on here with more experience will confirm or deny my assessment.

Try to get a look down in the injector cups to see if you can see any visible cracks. If you clean the oil out of the injector cups you can pressurize the cooling system and see if you get coolant in the bottom of the injector cups to see if you have a crack in an injector cup.

If you are planning on staying with stock injectors it would be well worth your time imo to send them to Full Force Diesel and have them flow tested. They can then help you decide if you need new injectors, just a few, or possibly none at all.

I was debating the cups when I recently did my injectors and ultimately decided that the cups were fine and I didn't want to take the chance of having a little bit of oil on in the bore and not getting a good seal on the cups. The stock ones are probably sealed better than I could ever (re)do.

Old 06-22-2012, 04:04 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Well I did check my cups. Seems one has a pin hole in it. I did also replace the seals and reinstall the driver's side injectors as I need the truck for the weekend but now I am questioning if I should drive it. It has a miss at idle and when I let out the clutch a little to start accelerating it starts to hesitate so then I have to compensate by giving it more fuel and less clutch until it gets more RPMs. Once it gets some RPMs it seems to smooth out and when going down the hwy it seems to be smooth and I have NO problem building boost at all. I'm pushing upwards towards 24lbs and the turbo is whistling real loud and nice but idle it hesitates pretty bad.
Here is a video to show you what I'm talking about. It was dark so the camera is a bit blurry but it should get the point across.
My other question is do you think that the truck would make a 8 hour 500 mile trip (total miles) or is there a possibility of causing damage to the engine or a possible break down? What are your thoughts?

2012 06 22 01 19 58 80 - YouTube

Old 06-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Visseroth
Posting Guru
Oh! and one more thing. Seems to get worse when the truck is warmed up.

Quick Reply: Injector time? Yes and more PMS.....