Newbie running wmo did i mess up??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:16 PM
boots6868
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie running wmo did i mess up??

Hi all,
Ive had idi diesels for awhile now, my most recent is a 93 f350 crew cab dually 7.3 idi non turbo.
I had been reading and getting excited about running wmo for some time but not having the guts to try it.
well with diesel at 4.30 per gallon i decided to throw my hat in the ring.
ive been saving my home use wmo for a year or two now and have accumalted about 15 5qt containers. after some reading about others running it. i decided on filtering my wmo through a pant leg of my blue jeans. i tied a knot in the bottom with stout rope. and hung the leg up and put a 5 gallon can with a large funnel under it. i filled the leg up and took about one evening to filter through. my first run i was scared and only put about 2 gallons in my front tank that was about 1/2 full of diesel. i ran that through without any difference at all in performance. i was so happy with that. i filled the tank about just under half on the gauge and added 8 gallons of oil which brought my gauge up to full mark.
yesterday i fired her up and had a short run of about 5 miles to a landfill.
i watched my mirror on the passenger side real hard for any signs of smoke (didnt see any) but when i got to the landfill and idled her down she started bellowing out the blue smoke so bad that one of the yard attendants came over and told me i was smoking real bad. i looked in my mirror and he was right she was pushing smoke. so i quick flipped my switch over and in about 2 minutes of ideling she started to clean up. whew!! had me scared. now what i can tell you the temps were not up yet to normal and further more my truck always runs cold and spikes temps on mountains im pretty sure my t-stat is stuck open. i do intend to fix very soon. anyway is that normal to have heavy smoke at idle and will i be ok once i get my t-stat changed . and did i goof by only filtering my own oil through my blue jean setup. i have been reading about filtering methods and will pursue that, but what about my full front tank? should i just go ahead and run it? i can carry a spare fuel filter in case. and a little diesel to prime. im all ears thanks

Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The engine should atleast be hot before trying to burn any oil or WVO. 8 gallons in the front tank is a pretty heavy mix. the cold engine combined with the thick oil mix surely made the blue smoke. I would wait for the next lengthy trip, burn the front tank for a few miles then switch back to the diesel tank. top the front tank off with diesel and just keep duluting it out slowly.

A good friend of mine is realy good at getting greedy with his WMO/WVO mixture he keeps plugging filters and haveing smoke problems, The best advice I ever gave him was "why get that greedy, one quart of burned WMO is still free fuel, there is no point is trying to burn it all at once"

Diesel Rod

Old 04-27-2012, 07:32 AM
microdevil45
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
The engine should atleast be hot before trying to burn any oil or WVO. 8 gallons in the front tank is a pretty heavy mix. the cold engine combined with the thick oil mix surely made the blue smoke. I would wait for the next lengthy trip, burn the front tank for a few miles then switch back to the diesel tank. top the front tank off with diesel and just keep duluting it out slowly.

A good friend of mine is realy good at getting greedy with his WMO/WVO mixture he keeps plugging filters and haveing smoke problems, The best advice I ever gave him was "why get that greedy, one quart of burned WMO is still free fuel, there is no point is trying to burn it all at once"

Diesel Rod
I agree keep it to a percentage that works for your truck since all trucks are different and don't get greedy. That is my method.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:36 AM
linus72
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just started running WMO, was running strange combinations of wmo, wvo, lamp oil, kero, atf, etc when I first got truck as a test bed, lol.

Finding wvo hard to get right now so switched to wmo which is easy to get.

I made sure to get my wmo from one guy who has a powerstroke and uses non-syn oil.

I got 60 gallons of wmo from him and bought a 55-gal drum of kero for $50 from another guy (?!)
lol

anyway, a couple things I read about wmo are NEVER use a diesel additive with it as the additives tend to make the oil congeal/clump!
Same with mixing wvo/wmo results in some kind of seperation and clumping/gloop

I filtered mine through a pair of jeans- tied both legs shut with zip-ties, then turned one leg inside-out and put it inside the other leg- thus a double filter
Hung it over a 5-gal bucket and pre-mixed it with the kero (50/50) before filtering
pre-mixing before filtering makes the filtering go alot faster...

I only have one tank right now and have been mixing either diesel/wvo or kero/wmo and have no conversion or heating elements of any kind.

truck seems somewhat sluggish on acceleration but my truck doesn't ever seem to smoke very much on anything...
I've never even seen any blue or black smoke come from it, sometimes white while idling...

I also periodically back-flush my $30 filter with gas several times, let it dry, add some clean diesel to it and make sure nothing is clogging it.

It is a little hard-starting since I have the 50/50 mix of kero/wmo in there but WTH?!

I prefer wvo over wmo, but whatever floats the boat is what I'm going with