General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

When Is a Good Time of Year to Buy Used Motorcycle?....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:56 AM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When Is a Good Time of Year to Buy Used Motorcycle?....

I have been watching prices for the last couple years and around here they seem to hold value a lot more than i would expect? I'm dying to get a nice used Suzuki Boulevard for my daily commuter. (about 20 miles round trip) A buddy at work said that searching for one now, during summer, is not the way to go. He said wait til later this year when all the newbs/summer riders are done and dont really want a motorcycle. Does that sound right?

Old 06-14-2012, 02:26 PM
grumpy hvacr
Senior User
That's basically what I have heard as well.

Of course, keep an eye out at all times in case a good deal pops up.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:14 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
I have been watching prices for the last couple years and around here they seem to hold value a lot more than i would expect? I'm dying to get a nice used Suzuki Boulevard for my daily commuter. (about 20 miles round trip) A buddy at work said that searching for one now, during summer, is not the way to go. He said wait til later this year when all the newbs/summer riders are done and dont really want a motorcycle. Does that sound right?
That is what I would expect..

People not wanting to store it for the winter..

The only thing I would say is that it depends if your in an area that has snowy winters..

If you are in MA like me that would apply, but if you are down south where they get very little snow it doesn't apply.. That is because they can ride most of the year..

Old 06-15-2012, 01:04 AM
fz1dave
Super Duty
The best time to buy is the offseason, when everyone quits riding because of the cold. Not sure about the weather in OK but generally speaking, November through February.

The best piece of advice I have is don't (if you are) limit yourself to local listings. In your case I'd be looking at Cycletrader and Craigslist ads in the surrounding states and to the north specifically during winter.

If you can't wait that long you will pay a premium buying in the summer.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:25 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Good advice. Thanks all. Ya, i'm itchin to have one but i can wait,so i dont have to pay a premium price. I have been watchin local ads the last couple years. Saw a nice deal last fall but didnt have the money to do it then. Here in Oklahoma i see riders from about March thru Sept. I've been looking at Craigslist ads in ARkansas and Kansas too. Some good deals pop up in Arkansas, but i'm hopin to find something closer to Tulsa. For now all i can do is daydream and drool at all the bikers on the road.