1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Need Help-02 4.2L Manual-Instrument cluster replaced-truck now running rough-code=running "lean"

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Jody_Clarke
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help-02 4.2L Manual-Instrument cluster replaced-truck now running rough-code=running "lean"

(Please bare with me as I'm a noob @ this)Purchased a manual 02 F 150 4X4 4.2L V6 about two months back, have had zero problems with it until one day last week when it wouldn't start. Anti-theft light flashed rapidly, odometer went blank & fuel & other gauges went down, truck would try and crank but not turn over- reasoned it was in PATS system. Could give dash a swift hit on occasion and it would star right up. When it did run, it ran smooth as silk. Took to local dealership where I was told instrument cluster had to be replaced- cost $800. After driving truck home noticed it wasn't running smoothly at all. Service Engine light came on, so I took it to a local express oil change to get a free diagnostics ran on it- were I was told it was "running lean". Was also told that it was mere coincidence that it shouldn't have anything to do with new cluster?? Express Oil guy told me I needed a tune-up and injectors cleaned. Went back to dealership & was told by Ford that a tune-up would not help and that they also believed it was total coincidence? As you folks can most likely tell am not mechanically inclined, asked previous owner if he had any similar problems in the past- he mentioned to me that the only problems he ever experienced was with the mass air flow sensor getting dirty causing rough idle. Mentioned this to Ford and they dismissed this potential solution, although I've read other posts suggesting this could cause a running "lean" code. The folks at Ford also told me that it was OK to drive it as long as the service Engine light was solid and not flashing, while the truck does run horribly at times almost sounding like a motorcycle yet seemingly no major loss of power- other than first few minutes it's started along w/ a rough idle. Any insight into this and or recommendations as to what I might could try myself, as funds are very tight after just spending the $800 would be very much appreciated. Thanks for any insight and or info. your patience with a total noob is once again greatly appreciated, J.C.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 AM
Bluegrass 7
Lead Driver
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts
First, the dash issue was likely a poor connection on the dash circuit board that could have been found for a lot less then $800, but the dealer will not work on parts to that level and risk a return call by you..
The lean code/s likely are 171/174 is not the engine running lean.
The code says lean, but many miss interpert the code as the motor running lean.
It is not.
The 'Lean' refers to the fuel tables in the computer are shifted to 'their' lean end in an effort to 'correct' a 'hardware' caused rich condition.
The OX sensors detect this condition and it is all is 'logiced' in the software as the reaction to the hardware fault.
The reason the codes refer to lean is by the table shift, so the codes refer to the tables and not the engine.
Big and oppisite difference.
You likely have an air leak in the intake tract at some point that is causing the fuel tables to be shifted.
The whole thing works on feedback loop basis.
If the shop worked under the hood to any degree they may have caused the issue inadvertantly.
I would not quibble over it because it can't be proven to any point that helps or would be admitted.
Bottom line is to just have someone look for the issue that is causing the CEL and code.
BTW, you just received more info than you would ever get anywhere else for explaination of both your problems.
Good luck with the issue.