1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Diamond Eye 4" Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:13 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you gonna have bill build you a set of up pipes while the trans is out?

Old 06-18-2012, 08:14 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stainlessstroker95
He couldn't afford them Gabe!......

Old 06-18-2012, 08:31 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Haha shop fees that hi? I bet you could work something out.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Haha shop fees that hi? I bet you could work something out.
We could work something out, I'm sure. He could cut my grass........forever! LOL!!!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:52 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
Originally Posted by ReBilld
We could work something out, I'm sure. He could cut my grass........forever! LOL!!!
You dont make him do that already?haha

Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
You dont make him do that already?haha
HAH! Yeah right! The only time I see him is when I'm working on his truck! When it's time to work on mine, ain't nobody in the shop but me and the crickets! He just uses me Gabe, uses me up and tosses me out like an old grease rag!

I'm just kidding, he's really the only one I can count on helping me when I need it. I'm just giving him a hard time cause I know he'll read this........but he still ain't getting any bellowed up pipes! LOL!!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:22 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
I'm working on it! I'll wear him down eventually. Tell me what ya'll think about this... I've proposed the following to Bill: If you read his thread on the homemade bellowed up pipes, you'd know that he was less than completely satisfied with the welding job on the pipes. Things like this bother him. So...I offered to assist him in building another set of bellowed up pipes (not assist with the welding, just assist in general - I'm just learning to weld). Since he has practiced one time already building these, then we assume that the second set will be better. Then, he can take this second set (the better set, mind you) and put on his DD truck and remove the 1st set he built and put on there. Then, he can toss the 1st set my way and I can put those on my truck. If we did this, he won't be losing sleep at night knowing that the welds on his up pipes don't look pretty. And I'd have a set of bellowed up pipes. It's a win-win situation! I even offered to purchase another set of bellows like the he ordered before so that when he gets ready to build a new set of bellowed uppies for his crew cab, he 1) has the bellows ready, and 2) he would have already built two sets of these, so this third set would undoubtedly be PERFECT! I don't see how you could get a much better plan than that.

Based on a brief inspection, my up pipes do NOT appear to be leaking...knock on wood...167,000+ miles. It's only a matter of time though.

Originally Posted by ReBilld
HAH! Yeah right! The only time I see him is when I'm working on his truck! When it's time to work on mine, ain't nobody in the shop but me and the crickets! He just uses me Gabe, uses me up and tosses me out like an old grease rag!

I'm just kidding, he's really the only one I can count on helping me when I need it. I'm just giving him a hard time cause I know he'll read this........but he still ain't getting any bellowed up pipes! LOL!!
This is not true! I came up the other day and didn't work on my truck! And besides, you never call me. It's not like we're right next door and I can just pop over in a few steps.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:48 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
I think that sounds like a good plan. Eventuly there gonna start leaking and bill will prob end up building you a set. I say replace them sooner rather than later. Im not picking sides though haha.

Old 06-19-2012, 02:52 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
I think that sounds like a good plan. Eventuly there gonna start leaking and bill will prob end up building you a set. I say replace them sooner rather than later. Im not picking sides though haha.
Thank you! And you are right - It's only a matter of time before they start leaking. We're all on the same side here anyway! Right Bill?!

Old 06-19-2012, 02:58 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by TyBragg
Thank you! And you are right - It's only a matter of time before they start leaking. We're all on the same side here anyway! Right Bill?!
Yeah, as long as it's my side!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:02 AM
TyBragg
Elder User
Alright...so Bill and I had a very productive day on Saturday. We had been planning on swapping out my zf5 for a different one that Bill had sitting in the shop (mine was grinding from 2nd to 3rd, otherwise it seemed good. The one he had sitting there was said to shift smooth and had no problems). So we did that first - made pretty good time I think, we had that one out and the other one hooked up by lunch.

Then we moved on to the Diamond Eye exhaust. No real problems there. We massaged the firewall before installing the other tranny, and that worked out well. Plenty of room for the new 3" DP. One tricky part was where the pipe went over the rear axle - this system is split into two parts in that area, so we had to do a good bit of shifting to get it positioned just right. We did have to trim about an inch off the pipe that goes into the outlet side of the muffler to give us some clearance from the pipe and the rear fuel tank where it went up and over. Once we got it where we wanted it, we did a little "slash" cut at the very end of the pipe - kind of angled it so it was in line with the truck bed.

One good thing Bill mentioned about this system that he liked was the design of the two-piece down pipe. The bottom part of the top piece has a pretty long widened part (where the bottom piece goes inside the top piece), which allowed a lot of room for adjustment of the system.

I plan on posting some pictures soon...just haven't gotten to take them yet. I know...if there's no pics, it didn't happen. I think Nate asked me to get some videos so he could hear it too, so I plan on doing that soon. I think it has a good sound. Not too loud in the cab, but you can really hear that turbo whistling now! I've been driving around all weekend with the passenger window down so I can hear it. I love it!
We also removed the cab lights off one of Bill's parts trucks and installed them on mine. That was actually pretty easy and we ran into no problems there. I think it took about two hours to remove the lights and wiring harness from the other truck and get them installed and finished up on my truck. I love them too! I think these trucks kinda look naked without them, but that's just my opinion.

So all in all, my truck got a little makeover this weekend, and I love it! Oh, and we also turned my mirrors out, which makes it look a lot better too. I'll get some pics up so you guys can see it all!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day on Saturday! Get us some pics so we can see the fruits of your labor. And yeah, If you are so inclined, a video or two would be great. I will make sure it gets added to the exhaust sounds thread.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:33 PM
stainlessstroker95
Postmaster
That is good to hear. I have been wanting to get that 4" kit, but with out the cat and muffler.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:26 PM
TyBragg
Elder User
That is good to hear. I have been wanting to get that 4" kit, but with out the cat and muffler.
This one comes with the cat delete pipe, but it does have a muffler. I like the sound better with a muffler than just straight pipe. Personal preference though.

Old 06-27-2012, 02:46 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Aren't you supposed to be working?