Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

How can I tell if these will fit my truck?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 03:18 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,102 Likes on 2,164 Posts
Originally Posted by 86sixbanger
Sorry, I hadn't intended to come across snappy. I was a little tired and irritated yesterday after work and a late night before that. Anyways no excuse to be rude. It's nice that everybody is generally polite to each other on this forum. But on any failures, Yes, I understand there is a small chance they could fail because of the grinding.
mehhh. everyone is allowed to be a little snappy once in a while when tired.

with your older trucks using non vehicle specific wheels that are lug centric is not a real big deal s long as the lug nuts fit tight and hold the wheel properly.
the big problems comes when you use lug centric wheels on a hub centric vehicle like the newer cars and trucks.

or using steel wheels that are much thinner than the alloy wheels. i have seen 2 sets of steel wheels ground larger to fit fords, and after a while the wheel fails between the lugs and hub.
the fatal accident was just that. chevy lug centric wheels ground to fit on a hub centric ford, and the wheel cracked and separated between the lug nuts and hub.
during the investigation, we noticed all the lugs were still on the truck with part of the rim under them.
when we found the wheel the center was missing, cracked between each lug nut till it finally broke off.

i have seen a couple of alloys cracked the same, but it was not bad enough to fail. just hairline cracks.

Old 06-14-2012, 07:41 PM
Marianna2003
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tjc transport:
I like your T Shirt!

Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM
86sixbanger
Posting Guru
Exactly, no way would I have done that to steelies, they're too thin, and cheap, and easy to come by. Might as well just go buy the right ones. The alloys were nice n thick.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM
'94IDITurbo7.3
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454
A very large portion of aftermarket wheels are lug-centric, meaning the lugs not only hold the wheel onto the truck, but also locate/center it on the spindle axis. The center hole is oversize to fit many vehicles. Using the lugs to center the wheel is absolutely acceptable.
they sell hub rings to make up for the difference in bore size and trust me it makes a positive difference when the hub ring is in there.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:12 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by tjc transport
mehhh. everyone is allowed to be a little snappy once in a while when tired.

with your older trucks using non vehicle specific wheels that are lug centric is not a real big deal s long as the lug nuts fit tight and hold the wheel properly.
the big problems comes when you use lug centric wheels on a hub centric vehicle like the newer cars and trucks.

or using steel wheels that are much thinner than the alloy wheels. i have seen 2 sets of steel wheels ground larger to fit fords, and after a while the wheel fails between the lugs and hub.
the fatal accident was just that. chevy lug centric wheels ground to fit on a hub centric ford, and the wheel cracked and separated between the lug nuts and hub.
during the investigation, we noticed all the lugs were still on the truck with part of the rim under them.
when we found the wheel the center was missing, cracked between each lug nut till it finally broke off.

i have seen a couple of alloys cracked the same, but it was not bad enough to fail. just hairline cracks.
99% of all vehicles come with hub-centric wheels. My 79 had em, hell my dads 63 has em, as does my 65 buick. Theyre nothing new. Neither is sticking wheels on that are not hub-centric. Beyond that.. seems like about 50% of new cars today are running aftermarket non hub centric wheels, in fact alot of the lighter compacts have universal wheels. Obviously you dont want to go grinding an inch out of the wheel just to run them, but i watched a guy do this to a set of chev wheels for his dodge. He literally took of no more than 1/8 all the way around.

I prefer non hub centric wheels because you dont have to get them off with a BFH after theyve been on there a while, especially with alloys.

But as noted above, lug nut taper would be something to check, as it could lead to them working loose if not the correct taper.