1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

My 1983 F100 restoration thread (WAS: Per request of Mr. Gary Lewis)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
helldoc0986
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, thank you to all of the veterans out there... no need to thank me for YOU paving the way so I could follow your footsteps.

On the other hand, thank you guys for your compliments... wasn't really what I was after, but makes me feel good inside.

What I am really here for... Mr. Gary Lewis, you asked when I almost stole a thread and you shall receive.

Speed Pro ZL2379F40 - Speed-Pro Forged Pistons - Overview - SummitRacing.com

COMP Cams 31-414-3 - COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Other parts that I do not really consider "power adders" (more like necessities) are the common Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley quad carb, new distributor such as....
Proform Parts 66969R - Proform Street/Strip HEI Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Other Miscellaneous things such as good lifters, good set of rockers (does not matter what brand as they all do the same thing... I do remember that I got the same as stock ratio... just roller for about 160 bucks I believe {1.5 or 1.6 to 1} I cannot remember) everything else in the engine is stock. Please remember those numbers are "nominal" from a computer program at 100% volumetric efficiency.

Anymore tests for me?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 PM
helldoc0986
New User
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
And, it should be 8-pages long. And not a micro-analysis.

Oh, and it should have been "grammar, English, and spelling". I was once told by my West Pointer room mate (no, I wasn't at the Point, he had been) that the use of a comma behind the penultimate item in a list is the "Boston comma", and few people subscribe to that theory. I guess that sums me up - outstanding by myself. Or, is that "out standing by myself"? I never seem to get that right.
You are right and I apologize. I like to remember it by saying "Invite strippers, Jessica, and Jennifer." That way you have at least three women there, but with "Invite strippers, Jessica and Jennifer" you only have two.

Lol, sorry about that but I had to!

Old 06-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by helldoc0986
First of all, thank you to all of the veterans out there... no need to thank me for YOU paving the way so I could follow your footsteps.

On the other hand, thank you guys for your compliments... wasn't really what I was after, but makes me feel good inside.

What I am really here for... Mr. Gary Lewis, you asked when I almost stole a thread and you shall receive.

Speed Pro ZL2379F40 - Speed-Pro Forged Pistons - Overview - SummitRacing.com

COMP Cams 31-414-3 - COMP Cams Magnum Hydraulic Camshafts - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Other parts that I do not really consider "power adders" (more like necessities) are the common Edelbrock Performer RPM, Holley quad carb, new distributor such as....
Proform Parts 66969R - Proform Street/Strip HEI Distributors - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Other Miscellaneous things such as good lifters, good set of rockers (does not matter what brand as they all do the same thing... I do remember that I got the same as stock ratio... just roller for about 160 bucks I believe {1.5 or 1.6 to 1} I cannot remember) everything else in the engine is stock. Please remember those numbers are "nominal" from a computer program at 100% volumetric efficiency.

Anymore tests for me?
Thanks. Wasn't a test, I was curious what components you'd chosen. That's more duration than I'm comfortable with as it'll raise the RPM at which the power comes in. Ditto for the intake. But, depending on how you are going to use the truck, and what transmission and gears you run, it should scream.

What about heads? What compression ratio? Carb?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:50 PM
helldoc0986
New User
Thanks. Wasn't a test, I was curious what components you'd chosen. That's more duration than I'm comfortable with as it'll raise the RPM at which the power comes in. Ditto for the intake. But, depending on how you are going to use the truck, and what transmission and gears you run, it should scream.

What about heads? What compression ratio? Carb?
Semi stock heads (a little home porting/port matching with machine shop valve job). Compression ratio is around 10 to 1... just about right for a dynamic comp ratio for 87 gas with that cam. Carburetor is an old 600 CFM that I had laying around and rebuilt when I found my 390 CFM stumbling a little at top end.

I did recently pull that cam and replace it with the comp cams 268H that I had in the shop along with putting the 390 CFM back on in hopes of restoring some city drivability/economy. (it worked by the way)

You are right though, it would pull all the way up to 6000 at least. I am very surprised the stock lower end held up to it, and I do not think I will be pushing it that hard ever again. I will be building my 351w block for the fun and have the 302 for back up.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by helldoc0986
Semi stock heads (a little home porting/port matching with machine shop valve job). Compression ratio is around 10 to 1... just about right for a dynamic comp ratio for 87 gas with that cam. Carburetor is an old 600 CFM that I had laying around and rebuilt when I found my 390 CFM stumbling a little at top end.

I did recently pull that cam and replace it with the comp cams 268H that I had in the shop along with putting the 390 CFM back on in hopes of restoring some city drivability/economy. (it worked by the way)

You are right though, it would pull all the way up to 6000 at least. I am very surprised the stock lower end held up to it, and I do not think I will be pushing it that hard ever again. I will be building my 351w block for the fun and have the 302 for back up.
You will like the 351Wheezer. Lots more torque than the 302, even with the milder cam. I home-ported a set of heads for one I built about 6 months ago and even with a 2bbl and a mild cam (XE252h) it would turn the tires from a stop.

But that was in an 82, which I sold when I got Dad's '81, and that was the last year for the M. So, I'm into the 335 Series engines now and have been impressed with them.

Anyway, you can get a lot more torque out of a 351 than you can a 302 unless your budget is big. And torque is what trucks need. I'm sure you'll like it.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:15 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I was taught the last comma before the word and is optional. There are some cases where it helps clarify the intention but those cases are pretty rare in my experience.

I'm sure Gary will argue, we both seem to not agree on the content of Elements of Style.

Sorry for the hijack.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I was taught the last comma before the word and is optional. There are some cases where it helps clarify the intention but those cases are pretty rare in my experience.

I'm sure Gary will argue, we both seem to not agree on the content of Elements of Style.

Sorry for the hijack.
I won't argue. In fact, that's what I was trying to say before - I ascribe to the extra comma that few agree with.

As for Elements Of Style, I have the book - somewhere. But, I got mine early in my career so it is quite old and English has changed since then. I think mine uses "thee" and "thou". Hijack is over, again.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:37 PM
helldoc0986
New User
Due to my lack of knowledge for common forum etiquette, a "hijack" doesn't matter to me, I actually enjoy a good debate regardless of it's origin as long as it's all in good fun, and this has been nice.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:08 PM
helldoc0986
New User
I have rolled this idea around in my head for a little while now and I want to get some input on it just for grins. I want to make a custom bed cover out of polished aluminum tread plate. I know this is not very cost effective but it would be a total of about $500 bucks the way I plan.

Quick crude drawing of my plan. (in ms paint) I will draw this in AutoCAD before actually doing it.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/p...ctureid=102973

I am going to talk about this like I have already built it but this is my mental picture of how I plan to make this happen.

First make a frame around the bed out of 1.5 x 1.5 x 0.125 aluminum square tubing. After that, interconnecting bracing and cross pieces of the same tubing. I am assuming I will need about 60 feet of tubing with my crude/guessing measurements

Second, have a sheet of aluminum tread either 0.125" or 0.062" thick plate cut for the exact size that I will need to overlay the outside perimeter of the bed.

After that all will be notching, bending and some tigging.

For the hinges, My idea was to use late 60's style mustang hood hinges with springs (if that doesn't lift it, I will purchase some cheap hydro-assist shocks found on newer cars from autozone.

My idea incorporates the bed rail cover idea extending and rolling down the top of the bedside a little like in the link below.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/382289...-4#38228984138

I have not thought of a lock for it yet but I am sure it will come to me magically after this post.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Don't know why it wouldn't work. Does the cover itself come over the sides and have a break to turn down? And, if so will it also have a break to turn down over the tailgate?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
helldoc0986
New User
Don't know why it wouldn't work. Does the cover itself come over the sides and have a break to turn down? And, if so will it also have a break to turn down over the tailgate?
I plan to make it similar to my current bed rail covers. (more of a form fitting roll which I can do with a body hammer and dolly)

I do plan to have a lip on the tailgate, again similar to what I currently have.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
helldoc0986
New User
If anyone is familiar with AutoCAD I am currently re-installing it and can have a 3d view within a few days.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Nope. I use an an ancient version of TurboCAD. Does what I need to do, and even though it will do 3D I find it very diff to do it.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Wagonboy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Speed Pro ZL2379F40 - Speed-Pro Forged Pistons -

Are for a 351 CLEVELAND.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Wagonboy
Speed Pro ZL2379F40 - Speed-Pro Forged Pistons -

Are for a 351 CLEVELAND.
Ok, I'll bite: What's that an answer to? Did I sleep through something, again?

Quick Reply: My 1983 F100 restoration thread (WAS: Per request of Mr. Gary Lewis)