Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Ford Escape 2007/2008 new look abs light

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 11:39 AM
zurgur
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Escape 2007/2008 new look abs light

I got the ABS and ESP light in the dashboard. Got info that the the "ring" for the signal is broken and it has to be replaced.
Got any photos or information how to change it?

Old 06-14-2012, 05:57 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
"Tone" rings are toothed "rings" or wheels/gears that are mounted onto each of the individual wheel hubs. If you have a 4-wheel drive vehicle, each drive axle will have the tone ring on the outer CV joint. I understand they can be glued back together if broken, but have never tried.
The teeth are spaced evenly around the circumference and as each tooth goes by a sensor, a signal is generated. The signal 'counts' to know the rotational speed of the axle, and thus the wheel. If there is too much variance, or one wheel has stopped rotating, the ABS fiddles with the brake fluid pressure to help out.
If you cannot repair them in place, you have to remove the drive on the fronts, for sure, to fit new. The rears, I'm not so sure of on a 2WD vehicle, but they have to rotate with the wheels, so likely are on the brake drum or disk. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
tom

Old 06-14-2012, 06:25 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 873 Likes on 725 Posts
What's an "ESP" light?

Replacing the tone ring on the front halfshaft isn't a hard job. Took me about an hour last month. Part cost $16 at O'Reilly's.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:49 AM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,418 Posts
As Tomw said the can be temporarily "glued" in place. I have a 2002 with 200K and the drivers side has been RTV'd in place for 100k and the passenger for 10,000 without a problem.

What I did: If you slide the tone ring in place with out the paper it will slip on/off and spin easy. I took small pieces of paper about an inch wide and 3 inches long. I test fitted them under the tone ring making it shorter until I had a snug fit without opening the gap at the break. Then slide it out of place clean the area the ring sits on and apply a small layer of RTV. I used red RTV and placed the paper on the RTV and then a layer on the paper. Slid the ring in place and let it dry for about 15 minutes while I cleaned up.
I went for a drive and the light never came on until the other side broke. It had the same repair.

Rod

Old 06-14-2012, 08:55 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 5_labsownus
As Tomw said the can be temporarily "glued" in place. I have a 2002 with 200K and the drivers side has been RTV'd in place for 100k and the passenger for 10,000 without a problem.

What I did: If you slide the tone ring in place with out the paper it will slip on/off and spin easy. I took small pieces of paper about an inch wide and 3 inches long. I test fitted them under the tone ring making it shorter until I had a snug fit without opening the gap at the break. Then slide it out of place clean the area the ring sits on and apply a small layer of RTV. I used red RTV and placed the paper on the RTV and then a layer on the paper. Slid the ring in place and let it dry for about 15 minutes while I cleaned up.
I went for a drive and the light never came on until the other side broke. It had the same repair.

Rod
RTV is a thick silicone adhesive. I don't know what you mean by red RTV. Are you talking about Loctite red thread locker 271?

Old 06-15-2012, 05:58 PM
5_labsownus
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 1,520 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Permatex red or blue sealant. In the days passed it was referred to by a generic term "RTV."
Sorry for the old school talk! LOL
Rod

Old 06-15-2012, 09:35 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 5_labsownus
Permatex red or blue sealant. In the days passed it was referred to by a generic term "RTV."
Sorry for the old school talk! LOL
Rod
When I started as a machine repair apprentice we used either Permatex 1 or 2, hardening or non hardening. Then GE came out with their silicone adhesive called RTV which is still sold today with the same name.

I think that's Ford stocked was RTV. Even in assembly operations they used GE RTV but in came in big drums.

They also have operations that apply red Loctite. What a PITA to work on too!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:43 PM
Rich5626
New User
Originally Posted by wptski
When I started as a machine repair apprentice we used either Permatex 1 or 2, hardening or non hardening. Then GE came out with their silicone adhesive called RTV which is still sold today with the same name.

I think that's Ford stocked was RTV. Even in assembly operations they used GE RTV but in came in big drums.

They also have operations that apply red Loctite. What a PITA to work on too!
Yeah Bill, that's the stuff I was talking about in my thread "2002 Escape 3.0 V6 Fuel Injectors".

Old 06-16-2012, 07:54 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rich5626
Yeah Bill, that's the stuff I was talking about in my thread "2002 Escape 3.0 V6 Fuel Injectors".
Orange RTV? I've seen white, black and clear but never orange. Permatex 1/2 was never used after GE RTV hit the market.

I didn't mention that I started my apprenticeship in 1971 and Permatex is what was used back then.

Did some research. It seems RTV or room temperature vulcanization silicones is pakaged/made by Permatex as they they do with thread locker also. The Ford plant that I worked at only the GE brand was used as far as know. There mighty be a industrial line of GE products also that you might not see on store shelfs.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 PM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Super easy to repace tone ring.By new one from Ford under $7.00.
Take off center nut that holds cv shaft in like a 11/8 socket I think
take a piece of wood and tap shaft back
take 2 bolts out of strut that hold spindle
tap on the shaft so it comes out of spindle as you pull spindle down to free the shaft
Remove broken tone ring
I took a file to the shaft to remove the rust
slide on new tone ring
put it back together.
About an hour job.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:07 PM
shortbus commando
New User
I just did this this last Friday and it is about as easy as they make it sound. Thanks again for you guys on the forums; you always save me time and money with quick precise answers.