6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

How do I know my EGTs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 08:54 AM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Painted Horse
You will see Oil temps hit 242° while towing up steep greades. The temps drops back off pretty fast as soon as you summit the grade. Someone asked one of the engineers a year ago and the answer was that was with in reason for this truck.

The Edge CTS will show all 4 EGT sensors. Its kinda of interesting to see what a regen does. 1st sensor my only be 700° but back sensor will hit 1200° So you know the system is pouring in extra fuel for the regen.

The Edge also allows you see the soot % so you have some idea of when a regen will take place, It displays a red "R" all during the regen, So you know the duration instead of just when it started. Not that it matters much. I've gotten to where I pretty much ignor regens anymore. They are just a non-event in my driving.

Did anyone ask the engineer about Trans Temps? Maximum, normal, etc?

I have seen my trans temp at 203 on the interstate unloaded. pulling my camper this past weekend it didnt go any higher than that and stayed in the mid 190's most of the time. but it seem that at a steady fast speed (interstate trips) the temp is 200 even unloaded. i havent towed on the interstate yet....that will come this weekend

Old 06-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by bama29fan
I have seen my trans temp at 203 on the interstate unloaded. pulling my camper this past weekend it didnt go any higher than that and stayed in the mid 190's most of the time. but it seem that at a steady fast speed (interstate trips) the temp is 200 even unloaded. i havent towed on the interstate yet....that will come this weekend
Remember that your transmission uses an oil-to-water cooler rather than the traditional oil-to-air coolers that older trucks use. This means that your transmission fluid is being brought closer to the temperature your coolant is at as it goes through the cooler; if the transmission fluid is cooler than your engine coolant it will be heated as it goes through the cooler. No cooling happens unless your transmission fluid is hotter than your engine coolant. Which happens to rest around 195 degrees when you're fully warmed up.

So it's going to stay around 200 most of the time. Loaded heavy or empty it's always going to be around there.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:58 PM
darren32
Lead Driver

Received 736 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Remember that your transmission uses an oil-to-water cooler rather than the traditional oil-to-air coolers that older trucks use. This means that your transmission fluid is being brought closer to the temperature your coolant is at as it goes through the cooler; if the transmission fluid is cooler than your engine coolant it will be heated as it goes through the cooler. No cooling happens unless your transmission fluid is hotter than your engine coolant. Which happens to rest around 195 degrees when you're fully warmed up.

So it's going to stay around 200 most of the time. Loaded heavy or empty it's always going to be around there.
Good info, thanks Tom!

Old 06-13-2012, 01:09 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru

Cool!!! thanks

Old 06-17-2012, 05:58 PM
kabur66
Senior User
Originally Posted by bama29fan
Cool!!! thanks
I agree . . . good info. . .ken

Old 06-17-2012, 10:05 PM
srteach
Elder User
Originally Posted by Greengas
... I've got a big trip coming up and I know that one of the grades I will be facing is 10 degrees up hill (just outside of Jackson, Wy. Ron
That 10% (NOT 10 degrees) grade is outside of Wilson WY., and if the grade worries you, you can follow the river route, which is a flat run. If you are going into the Tetonia / Driggs area, the pass is the short route, but if you are going to Swan Valley or Idaho Falls areas, either way will suffice. Other than to say EGTs are good to know, Ill let those with more experience answer the actual question.

Old 06-20-2012, 09:10 PM
Greengas
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by srteach
That 10% (NOT 10 degrees) grade is outside of Wilson WY., and if the grade worries you, you can follow the river route, which is a flat run. If you are going into the Tetonia / Driggs area, the pass is the short route, but if you are going to Swan Valley or Idaho Falls areas, either way will suffice. Other than to say EGTs are good to know, Ill let those with more experience answer the actual question.
Thanks for the recommendation on alternative route. On the percent vs degree, well lets just say that math has never been my thing

Old 06-20-2012, 11:12 PM
srteach
Elder User
Originally Posted by Greengas
Thanks for the recommendation on alternative route. On the percent vs degree, well lets just say that math has never been my thing
You're welcome. Many people don't really understand the difference, but it is huge.

To follow the river run (a winding road along side the river) leave Jackson Hole southbound towards Hoback Junction and turn right toward Alpine Wyoming. When you get to Alpine, turn right. That highway (US26, IIRC), will take you through the Swan Valley area into Idaho Falls, my old stomping grounds. There are some grades, but they are shorter and more shallow climbs than the Wilson Grade.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Originally Posted by desertnomad
Most of those RV folks who ask about your EGT's are the ones with 6.0L.
Or the 7.3L. I've only got a 40hp tow tune and I run out of EGT before I run out of pull going up these east coast "mountains"

Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM
GoCamping
Elder User

wow that's interesting, I always thought (from something I'd read awhile ago) that trans fluid temps over 175 shortens the life of the tranny or fluid ... guess I must be mistaken. What's the standard trans fill? (sorry don't mean to hijack...)

Old 06-21-2012, 09:56 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by GoCamping
wow that's interesting, I always thought (from something I'd read awhile ago) that trans fluid temps over 175 shortens the life of the tranny or fluid ... guess I must be mistaken. What's the standard trans fill? (sorry don't mean to hijack...)
Yup. Standard trans fill is Mercon LV; both the 6R140 and it's predecessor the 5R110 have thermostats that maintain transmission temps to a relatively narrow range. The 5R110 thermostat opened at 170°, and while I'm not sure the exact temp for the 6R140 the temps like to stay right around 200°. I believe the higher temperature helps with increased transmission efficiency.

Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 PM
ia2004anderson
New User
Originally Posted by mrjc
While I think ones trucks max transmission and oil temps are a personal pref. I like to keep my trans temp under 200 and oil under 210. Trans temp has never exceeded 197 yet, and oil stays around 205 at its highest, this while towing up a mountain pass for about 45 mins at 60 MPH and towing my 15K lb 5er. I go in altitude from 7100 FT to 10,000 Ft where the campsite is.
I just got the 2014 F-250 with the 6.7 L. I was driving on the highway today not pulling anything and a relatively flat road cruise set at 75. My trans temp was holding around 198 and would go up to 208 if I speed up to 85 to pass. Not sure if this is normal on the 2014 but it seems higher than what others on here have seen.

Old 03-10-2014, 01:53 PM
F stock owner
Senior User
Originally Posted by desertnomad
I'm not aware of any lubricity additive that is approved for 6.7L so what are you guys using?
To avoid any potential hassles from Ford saying I'm not using an approved additive I use PM22A from Ford. It all comes down to personal choice and what works for you. There are many threads about additives on this site and others. Here's one: Fuel Additives; which ones are okay with Ford to use? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Back to the EGT issue: I haven't seen anybody talk about cool down. Yeah, the truck will pretty much take care of it self. And yes, it's nice to know what's happening while you drive but one of my main reasons for getting an Edge CTS was to see what the EGT is when I stop. Pulling into a rest area from the interstate or especially after a long grade, I want to know what my EGT is so I can let the turbo cool down before shutting off the engine. I believe the turbo bearings are water cooled so you could argue that when everything stops the water will boil limiting the temps to 212°. I still like to cool down to 300° before shutting down just in case the water boils away. The manual even says to idle a few minutes after a hard pull to allow the turbo to cool. Maybe I'm pampering my truck too much but I certainly don't want to coke my oil.

Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 PM
WABowHunter
Freshman User
What's the highest EGT 1 you've seen?

Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 PM
bama29fan
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by WABowHunter
What's the highest EGT 1 you've seen?
Not sure on the exact number but around the mid 900's pulling camper up a grade