1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Tightening intake manifold fasteners

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:54 PM
MisterRanger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tightening intake manifold fasteners

Sorry for the very newbish question, but I am mixed up in wich fasteners I have to tighten to stop my antifreeze leak. For this, I got some pictures.

Do I have to tighten these bolts?

OR these?

Is this the upper intake intake manifold?

Again sorrry fopr these stupid questions. I am just really lost and want to tighten the right bolts and find the torquing specs of the bolts. In the firts picture, we can clearly see there is a leak there of what must be antifreeze. The stuff I have been loosing slowly over months.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:55 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
If your going to begin to turn your own wrenches, a repair manual, or CD is your friend, as well as the forums search function & Tech Info thread atop this forum.
All that said, here is a thread with links to work that Rockledge put up after doing lower & upper manafold gasket replacements on his pushrod 4.0L, that might get you started, as you'll want to remove the plastic upper intake manafold to get at the lower intake manafold fastners, or to replace the lower manafold gasket & if you remove the plastic upper intake manafold, you'll want to replace its gasket.
Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - View Single Post - 4.0 intake gasket, what am I missing

Old 06-07-2012, 11:57 AM
MisterRanger
Senior User
I do have a Haynes Manual, but I don't always get along with it. It doesn't cover everything and is, most of the time, too brief. I'll get a Clayton manual.

As for overhauling the manifolds, I guess I could try that out sometime. For now, I just cannot do this as this is my work truck, but once the season slows down and I have nothing to do, I'll open up the manifolds.

Is this really a hard task? It seems fairly simple to me. The top manifold can be removed in one piece and the intake manifold itself has 8 bolts. My biggest worries are all the parts around the intake like the injectors and such. Also, placing the new gaskets. For that, I might call my mecanic buddy to help me seat the seals correctly.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:13 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Get a repair CD, or Factory manual from Helm Inc if you want/need more detail.

If your going to buy another printed manual, before you lay out your gold for one, go to your library & look through some of the brand repair manuals your considering, to see if they have the format & detail your interested in.

The manuals don't necessarly need to be on your year/model Ranger or engine, to get a feel for how their format will be on the one your about to buy.

Rockledge went into some detail on his thread about how to replace the lower & upper manafold gaskets including time & there is a link with illustrations on lower intake manafold fastner torque sequence & range, thats from the factory manual.

Once you get the intake air tube removed, it doesn't look so intimidating & he removed both manafolds as an assy, so he didn't remove the fuel rail & mess with injector seals.

Let us know what you find on your bog trouble shoot.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 PM
KhanTyranitar
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just so you know, the first time I did this, I used Fel-Pro gaskets. Worked briefly and then started leaking again, same lean codes. Ended up getting it smoked, which revealed the new gasket was not sealing. The Fel-Pro parts are based not eh original design, and are too thin to accommodate warpage that occurs in the plastic manifold (the metal manifolds did not have this issue). Ford came up with a new revised design that is thicker and is made from better materials. The updated Motorcraft gasket worked perfect and fixed the problem, I have not had any leaks since. Just letting you know, cause its huge waste of time spending your money to fix a problem, then spending more time to re-diagnose it to find its the same problem you had in the first place.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:35 AM
MisterRanger
Senior User
Originally Posted by KhanTyranitar
just so you know, the first time I did this, I used Fel-Pro gaskets. Worked briefly and then started leaking again, same lean codes. Ended up getting it smoked, which revealed the new gasket was not sealing. The Fel-Pro parts are based not eh original design, and are too thin to accommodate warpage that occurs in the plastic manifold (the metal manifolds did not have this issue). Ford came up with a new revised design that is thicker and is made from better materials. The updated Motorcraft gasket worked perfect and fixed the problem, I have not had any leaks since. Just letting you know, cause its huge waste of time spending your money to fix a problem, then spending more time to re-diagnose it to find its the same problem you had in the first place.
Thanks for letting me know.

I have read about Fel-Pro not being so good because they use cork for making there gaskets. I will just get the revised OEM gaskets.

Do you think I would be able to do the seals on my truck? I've never done this before, but I am very apt working with my hands.

I'll be doing the valve cover gaskets, the lower and upper manifold gaskets. I'll probably do it in October.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 PM
slc10844
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I usually shop ebay or Amazon for shop manuals. You can get used OEM manuals to fit your budget.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:52 PM
monsterbaby
Hotshot

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just so you know, the lower intake gasket is the same felpro and ford. I just had a thread on this on my truck. And I had a felpro gasket on it, and bought a ford gasket. They not only look the same THEY ARE THE SAME. right down to the part numbers etched into the metal portions. the ONLY difference in them is the label on the box. I honestly believe that Fords "revised" gaskets are nothing more then repackaged felpro unit.