6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Power Loss Towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Troy Buenger
Why did you sell the Ecoboost?
In hind site I should have kept it! It was over GVWR when towing this trailer. I don't think that was a big issue but My Outback 280 is made to carry a quad or something in the front. I don't have anything at this time and with the lower tongue weight it swayed badly with the F150. It set off the built in sway control on the ford. That sucked this thing was moving a lot! I could have used about 400lbs of ballast but that would have put more weight on the truck.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:40 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Originally Posted by DemonRace6
This is stupid of me, I know, , but I crused at 95+mph with a little 2k trailer this past weekend. Maybe it is governed at 100mph.
Don't know where it is governed just guessing. I had a service MGR tell me it was about 10 mph lower than the f150. Just thought I might be getting close and the truck was reducing power. Again it was just a guess. When I had my Ecoboost I went flat out to see haw fast it was and I hit the limiter. I had asked the service mgr if there was a way to disable it and he said a programer would do it but nothing else he was aware of. That was when he told me the limiter on the 250 was set at a lower speed than the 150.

I guess I will take this truck out and see where I hit the limiter with no trailer.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I was told they are limited at 97 mph and seems right on my truck.

As for towing up hills, I tow my 36 foot, 10,500 lb 5th wheel up Mount Eagle, in Tennessee between Nashville and Chattanooga. It's 5-% one way and I think 5-7 % the other way. I started at the bottom running 55mph and floored it, boost maxed out at 23 or 24 lbs I think (mid way on the gauge), and it climbed and pulled like a scalded ape! I was running almost 80 mph and still climbing when I hit the brakes to make the turnback. Then at about 65 I floored it again and same thing, I was pushing 80 mph when I had to do the turn back again.

I did the same thing coming home the next week. It just happens I'm leaving this Wednesday going over the same mountain again, should do the same. The temps did rise to about 210 for engine and tranny though.

I would see if a dealer mechanic will take a ride with you because that doesn't sound right. I did have the waste gate solenoid valve replaced, not because of lack of performance but the weird noise after shutting it off. If the solenoid is failing maybe the boost is blowing out, possibly after the gauge reads it I don't know, but if it were like that then your engine would not be burning the fuel and spooling up the ponies.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:09 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
I have a blast on the grades around Chattanooga and up I-40E to Knoxville.
Great time to clean out that EGR.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:42 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Something to try with you guys having the 400/800 and 6 speed. Why not go into manual mode in 3rd or 4th, pull to max rpm and shift into the next gear? My TSwill notussually shift up at max boost and ificould drop it a gear and then force a shift it would probably keep accelerating.
The thing is, I am thinking your filters for fuel are a potential issue possibly too. When you are pulling hard with boost maxed out, computer needs the fuel to be able to go with boost or you will get detonation and problems. So, the computer is possiblylimiting fuel or boost due to a sensor, could be fuel pressure, could be egt probe. I am just thinking out loud, but it would be cool to compare fuel at low pressure side, high presure rail and verify you don't have an issue.

I would also check y our air filter and filter minder and try and compare boost with others insinuations under load to see if you are getting all you can? 20 lbs sounds low to me but I don't have a new truck. On a hill like that mine will hit 29 easy, but then as I pull at that kind of grade it builds to 26 psi and that's when she starts to really pull hard, at this point injectors are dumping a lot of fuel and if there is a problem on the low or hi side, this is when you will see it IMO.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:43 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just so you know, the 6.7 in stock form will only provide 21 psi of boost. Maybe 24, I don't know the "official" max but it's right around 21.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 AM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Originally Posted by FORDTUF1
I was told they are limited at 97 mph and seems right on my truck.

As for towing up hills, I tow my 36 foot, 10,500 lb 5th wheel up Mount Eagle, in Tennessee between Nashville and Chattanooga. It's 5-% one way and I think 5-7 % the other way. I started at the bottom running 55mph and floored it, boost maxed out at 23 or 24 lbs I think (mid way on the gauge), and it climbed and pulled like a scalded ape! I was running almost 80 mph and still climbing when I hit the brakes to make the turnback. Then at about 65 I floored it again and same thing, I was pushing 80 mph when I had to do the turn back again.

I did the same thing coming home the next week. It just happens I'm leaving this Wednesday going over the same mountain again, should do the same. The temps did rise to about 210 for engine and tranny though.

I would see if a dealer mechanic will take a ride with you because that doesn't sound right. I did have the waste gate solenoid valve replaced, not because of lack of performance but the weird noise after shutting it off. If the solenoid is failing maybe the boost is blowing out, possibly after the gauge reads it I don't know, but if it were like that then your engine would not be burning the fuel and spooling up the ponies.
Tested the limiter today. It is 97 and it got there quick and pulled strong all the way! So I am more confused now. I will be calling the dealer in the morning. I have to think the truck computer knows when a trailer is connected and is changing the limiter. Again this is just a guess.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:25 AM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shelby, I pull a 11K Gooseneck Living Quarters Horse Trailer up that same grade at 75 no problem. Live in FLG and shoot at Ben Avery. Something is not right with your truck, hope it's simple and the dealer fixes it on the spot.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
I may not be exactly right about 23 lbs of boost, I know it goes clear past the 20 mid point. I thought I read it hear that someone had confirmed the number, my old timers memory has kicked in I guess.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM
DemonRace6
Hi!
Shelby, I hooked up my 4k gooseneck trailer Monday night with 1000 gallons of WVO on it. So about 11500lbs, for a half hr drive, no real hills tho.

When I was cruising at 65 mph I stomped on it just to see how it would react. It dropped down a gear (or two?) and took off like I was going to leave the trailer behind. I couldn't imagine that it would have acted much different at all going up a mountain, but at least I think it would have tried to speed up.

I did notice one thing that was not good, but I think it was driver error. As I was getting onto the highway I was slowly speeding up and I gradually put the pedal all the way to the floor, the truck never down shifted and took a long time to get up to speed. The next time I was in that situation I let off the gas and then stepped on it quicker, it down shifted and speed up quick and I did not have to put the pedal to the floor.

Just my experience, hope some of this is useful.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Thanks for all the input. I am taking it in this morning. Hope fully they will know something.

Did a fuel drain last night just to see if there was anything showing. It was clear no water and no metal fragments!

Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Shelby-GT-500
Senior User
Had it in the dealer. They did not find anything wrong. They did the sensor reprogram said that might help. Told me to use the manual mode and change gears to see if that would help.

Old 06-14-2012, 11:10 PM
RobFlag
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, not what I expected to hear, was hoping they'ed find something easily corrected. I'll be towing 12K up from Orme/Dugas on Monday and will keep an eye on speeds/power/temps and let you know how it goes. I'd say they just haven't identified the problem, cause there is one!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Is there any specification describing your max boost and show it on the gauge. Depending on how you read it, mabe map to an edge and see what it says. I can't help but think some are not getting the full 400/800 like the OP with his issue. I do have an older truck, but I think I know what he is talking about in a hill pull where you think she should walk away with it and crest the hill accelerating. The other thing is where is the torque max in the rpm band, and shift manual mode to find that and see if it helps. The OP trailer is light. Only other thing is trailer brakes dragging? Just trying to help.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Shelby-GT-500
Had it in the dealer. They did not find anything wrong. They did the sensor reprogram said that might help. Told me to use the manual mode and change gears to see if that would help.
Interesting. If your EOT sensor is showing a bad temp I can see the truck derating, but it's hard for me to believe that a recalibration would fix a ~50° discrepancy.

Did you take pics of your EOT readings? I've had great luck with dealers and difficult to reproduce symptoms with taking videos. I even got a free extended maintenance package from Ford because of that. Be sure to call Ford customer care and escalate your concern!

Quick Reply: 6.7 Power Loss Towing